Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

K1 stuck in manual mode

Tonight turned on the camera and it was refusing to come out of manual mode. Even a rest and nothing.

I see there is a video in bugs thread but no reply.

Anyone seen this before have I done something wrong, before I go to the dealer..

06-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Battery fully charged?
06-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club! I've been using my K-5IIs in Manual for several months now. It stuck there one day, and never unstuck. I can turn the dial, but it doesn't change anything at all.
06-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here's a link to my original thread back when it happened... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/306317-help-k-5i...ting-mode.html

Sorry to hear about that, I got mine used, so it's not quite as bad. If I had paid $1,800 I would be pretty sad right now!

06-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Battery is fully charged, dial has failed,
It's a good start, I used a recommended dealer and I paid on card.
Guess I will know in the morning when I call then if the recommendation was worth it.
06-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Might you have unintentionally pushed the Lock button--left-front of camera?
06-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nope checked that, tried everything even removing the lens to check contacts

06-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-3 has done something like this once or twice. Both cases were related to battery charge I think. When I swapped batteries it worked again.
06-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tried battery swaps. Nope.
06-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

And the camera isn't showing F-- as the aperture?

If the dial turns out to be defective, it's certainly something that can be fixed under warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also, since it sounds like this might be a software bug, try doing a battery pull while the camera is on, or reset the settings.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also, since it sounds like this might be a software bug, try doing a battery pull while the camera is on, or reset the settings.
Is this a recommended thing? This never would have occurred to me. Is this tested/proven? To my very, very limited mind, seems more likely to cause damage than to cure it.
06-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Is this a recommended thing? This never would have occurred to me. Is this tested/proven? To my very, very limited mind, seems more likely to cause damage than to cure it.
I have been forced to do it more than once on cameras over the years. The power switch is electronic and switching it off doesn't always work.
06-07-2016, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
You never know, but damage is very unlikely. If there's a glitched value in the software somewhere, resetting it while the power is on would bypass this standard shutdown sequence and potentially clear that value.

Adam

06-07-2016, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Dear colleagues,

This bug is not a software issue.
One guy from St-Petersburg, Russia, had this problem in the end of May and already solved it.
Less than a week in the service and he is happy again.
Official russian serviceman sad that some contact was lost. Repair is not long and complex, but it is hardware issue and you need to go to the service.

I think it will be often case, so do not lose the time in discussions