Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #1

Replacement Battery Grip Contact Covers

I knew this day would come. I knew no matter how hard I tried they would leave the nest to become full grown battery grips themselves. It is a sad day, but I must say they were loved while under my care.
I have lost the contact covers for my D-BG6 Battery grip and the little rubber piece that attaches to the K-1 somewhere on the streets of Athens. Have any of you guys ever lost the covers for any previous camera's and been able to procure new ones? I know the K-1 is very new so small replacement parts like that may not be available now, but I was curious if anyone has ever been able to replace them in the past on other Pentax cameras?
Also, with the rubber cover missing now, can that damage the camera if water touches the exposed contact?

With all that said, how many of you guys also managed to immediately lose the covers and what have you done to remedy the problem?

06-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't lost either piece myself, but I have bought used equipment in the past that was missing them. For the rubber piece for the camera body, I would contact Pentax support or Precision and see if they can get you one. Since it does protect the contacts on the body itself, they may be able to help. As for the battery grip contact cover, I have found them on eBay in the past for between $10-$15. It's robbery pricing but it does protect the money invested in the grip. Failing success with either of these options, you might try emailing Pentax/Ricoh in Japan about parts availability.
06-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a used k-5 with the cover missing and called Pentax. They shipped me one out in a week or so. That was a while ago, so no idea if they still do that.

And yes, having those contacts exposed is a bad idea.
06-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The replacement should be readily ordered through your authorized Pentax dealer. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same cover as those on the D-BG5 and D-BG4 (and perhaps earlier), so there ought to be lots of stock available.

06-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If memory serves, the part is called the battery grip terminal cover. I found it much easier to find once I found its proper name.

FWIW: the grip for the K-3 has dedicated built in storage for both covers. I'd be surprised if the K-1 doesn't also. This could help you hang on to those replacements.

In the short term, cover the contact bay with some tape.
06-08-2016, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
If memory serves, the part is called the battery grip terminal cover. I found it much easier to find once I found its proper name.

FWIW: the grip for the K-3 has dedicated built in storage for both covers. I'd be surprised if the K-1 doesn't also. This could help you hang on to those replacements.

In the short term, cover the contact bay with some tape.
Thank you for giving me the proper name for them!

The K1 does have internal storage for the terminal covers I just never put two and two together until the day I lost them. When I learned about it I went to go find the covers in my bag and they were missing, which was quite a nice dose or irony for me.

For now I will just keep the grip on, I actually prefer it this way. But it is nice to have the covers for when I'm traveling and need to separate all my gear in the most space efficient way possible without worry.
06-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check that bag again too! More than once I've had little parts like that seem to go missing only to later find they were only hiding!

06-08-2016, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Check that bag again too! More than once I've had little parts like that seem to go missing only to later find they were only hiding!
I have checked both of my bags multiple times and searched my entire hotel room, unless a miracle happens those contacts have left the nest sadly. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll spot them playing hide and seek!
06-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ginnipe Quote
I have checked both of my bags multiple times and searched my entire hotel room, unless a miracle happens those contacts have left the nest sadly. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll spot them playing hide and seek!
I find things like hotshoe covers and terminal covers in little corners of pockets on camera bags. And jacket pockets - check the weird little pockets you 'never' use.

I once thought I lost my DA40. It was missing for about a year. The next fall on the first cool day I got my fleece jacket out of the closet and it felt a little heavy In one pocket . . .