Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 07:50 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1 Does Canadian Rodeo

Last weekend I tried the K1 out at a local rodeo. For the past 5 years I have shot rodeo action using a series of cameras including K5, K5IIs, K3, K3II and now K1. Each year I have noticed small incremental improvements in AF for each new model; since I rarely shoot rodeo, I can't say that my skill in shooting has really improved!

How did the K1 perform? Well this year the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and the DFA 150-450 were the lenses used; with the Tamron getting most of the action since it is much lighter to handle. While this can't be proven, the K1 AF appears to be the most sophisticated of all previous Pentax bodies. Since the K1 has a few extra modes than the K3/K3II series, I didn't get to try all combinations of settings to see what works best. Once thing that was noticed was that AFC definately appears better at tracking; while the K3 series have a theoretical 8 frames/sec frame rate, because of poor tracking the actual frame rate was usually 4-5/sec; for the K1 the 6 fps rate in Crop Mode can actually be reached and utilized because of better AF tracking. The K1 was shot mainly in Crop Mode to get a higher frame rate of about 6 fps.

My conclusion is that while the K1 is not a sport camera per se, because of a more effective frame rate and better AF, it suits my needs when required as sports is one of many things that a DSLR is used for. Therefore, the K1 appears to be the best all around DSLR to date (except 645Z which are another category).

A few examples included.

Dale

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful series!
This K-1/Tammy combo sure rocks!
The details and "stopped action" are just perfect.
This makes me wonder if I would ever deter from my "I will not buy a K-1"

BTW ... where was this? Sure looks like Calgary-like stuff !
06-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great photos!

Where were these taken?
06-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep.
I totally agree with your assessment.
Putting the K1 into crop mode with a D-FA or FF lens is a winning combination.
I love the ability to mix and match APS-C lenses and FF, and play around with all the modes the K1 offers.
Nice pics!
Rock on K1!

06-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Handy information, and good photos.

You are very lucky to be able to shoot rodeo in daylight, at ISO 320 or below. For some reason, most of our rodeos, particularly in regional areas, seem to start at dusk.
06-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This was at the Wildwood rodeo which is west of Edmonton, Alberta. The Calgary Stampede is no until July. Yes it was lucky to have good light.
06-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Where were these taken?
Thanks to the built-in GPS, I was able to determine that this rodeo was in Wildwood, Alberta. It's all there in the EXIF.

Edit: Or I could have waited for DDoram to answer, instead of doing a reverse lookup in Google Maps.

06-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Thanks to the built-in GPS, I was able to determine that this rodeo was in Wildwood, Alberta. It's all there in the EXIF.
Smart!
Didn't think of doing that!
06-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

Edit: Or I could have waited for DDoram to answer, instead of doing a reverse lookup in Google Maps.
This is one of the reasons I never use tag pics with GPS. I have no need for the coordinates myself -- I readily know and can remember where I've been -- and I have no desire of being a roving bot to inform the mega-grabbers of information -- social media, stock photo companies -- of where my good locations are. Millions of others are doing that already, of course, with phone cameras, etc. I just don't want to contribute to it.
06-09-2016, 01:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots. Which focus point setting did you use?
06-09-2016, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
During the shoot I used many settings; for those I used Focus Priority and Low Hold action in 9 point Auto
06-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice looking shots, thanks for sharing. Pentax appears to have really hit a home run with the K-1. But your experience here shows that it's not the ideal camera for sports. The K-1 does about everything well, but 4.4 fps is very limiting for many sports situations.

The fact that you have to throw out over half of your sensor's resolution in order to get the fps that you need is very unfortunate. I shoot a lot of sports with the K-5iis, and I have had situations where I needed to switch to AF-S in order to get closer to 7fps instead of the ~ 5 fps I get with AF-C.

I'm not one of those that have been waiting for FF with Pentax, but after seeing the incredible reviews and results from people, it has me wanting one. I am hoping that Pentax follows up the K-1 with an upgraded model that has a higher fps rate and a more action oriented AF system. The only problem with that is that I probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

You seem to working well given the limitations. I'm sure you will find yourself switching between situations where you work with the 4.4 fps and use the whole sensor, and times where you need the higher fps and use crop mode as you have done here. I'm very interested going forward with seeing how people handle sports situations with it.