Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #1

Sigma Damage to K-1

I've had a look through the forum and can't find an obvious answer to this question, but apologies if it has already been addressed.

I am hoping to get a K-1 in the relatively near future (upgrading from a recently crippled K-5) and would obviously like to be able to use my Sigma 150-500mm lens on it. My question is this: is the damage caused to K-1s by certain Sigma lenses (including the 150-500mm) merely cosmetic or does it have a deeper, functional impact that could harm the camera? In other words, is it essential that I get my lens modified by Sigma before using it on a K-1 or is it just optional?

06-09-2016, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's cosmetic- but it sounds like the Sigma lens service is already available, so you might be able to get the lens repaired in time.

A member recently listed a K-1 with the Sigma damage. You can see the scratch just above the lens mount, below the wider groove:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/323061-sale-sold-pentax-k-1...t-box-etc.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2016, 03:22 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nobody can answer this with any authority. Pictured below is my sigma 70-200/2.8 on my K-1. The lens worked fine. You can see from the picture where the lens rubs on the camera, and how this interference pushes the lens mount away from the camera a little bit allowing some light to shine through. I sent my lens in for modification because......

- it's free
- longer term, with movement and knocks etc some other damage may occur
- easy for moisture to find its way into the camera body through mount "gap"
- clearly there is some force being transferred in a way that camera and lens isn't designed for etc
- corporations act on these things for a reason

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-09-2016 at 03:38 AM.
06-09-2016, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Read more about it here: Sigma Announces Lens Compatibility Issues with K-1 - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com
And here: Sigma Offers K-1-Related Lens Repair Service - Photo Industry News | PentaxForums.com
Those threads refer to it as a "minor scratch". How minor, unfortunately we don't know.

06-09-2016, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #5

Not only is it only cosmetic but it is also barely noticeable.
I have the 35mm Art series lens, it left a scratch but that's about it.
I will certainly not send the lens for servicing as its absence will harm me more than this tiny scratch which is already there anyway.
06-09-2016, 03:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the speedy replies folks. I take Noelpolar's point about the long term effects of this seemingly cosmetic damage being unknowable at this time so I shall look into getting my 150-500mm fixed in the near future.
06-09-2016, 03:50 AM   #7
Banned

That scratch is a smoke bomb. It has a duty to cover much bigger Sigma problems - incompatibilities with a few very important and expensive Sigma lenses.

06-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually think it's Pentax at fault here, the design of the K1 is different from previous models and they should have foreseen this.
06-09-2016, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I actually think it's Pentax at fault here, the design of the K1 is different from previous models and they should have foreseen this.
If you look at how the D FA 70-200, 150-450, 24-70, and 15-30 barrels are designed, the part near the mount is angled to stay clear of the prism housing. But ultimately, on the affected Sigma lenses it's not even the barrel's fault, but rather the oversized mount flange. No genuine Pentax lens has ever used that kind of flange.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you look at how the D FA 70-200, 150-450, 24-70, and 15-30 barrels are designed, the part near the mount is angled to stay clear of the prism housing. But ultimately, on the affected Sigma lenses it's not even the barrel's fault, but rather the oversized mount flange. No genuine Pentax lens has ever used that kind of flange.
I'm sure that Sigma designed these lenses with the ability for the lens mount to be changed from say Pentax to Nikon or Canon.
The "oversized" mount flange (on Pentax) is just the right size for mounting on the other brands. I have the 35/1.4 for both Pentax and Nikon, and thats how I noticed this.

I have emailed the Australian distributor for Sigma lenses (they are also the AU. distributor for Pentax cameras) and asked them about having the Sigma lenses modified for the K-1 and as yet they haven't responded. I'll keep PF informed, but I don't hold any high hopes...

PS - There's a new announcement on the Sigma web site - the repair process is on hold until the end of July!

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=586

Last edited by jackassp; 06-17-2016 at 04:44 PM.
06-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Come on now. Pentax has no responsibility to take a reverse-engineered third party competitor's product into consideration when designing a new camera.

Would any company do that?

I'm pretty sure Sigma chose to go beyond the design parameters of the K mount for their own reasons, as jackassp has alluded to.
06-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
PS - There's a new announcement on the Sigma web site - the repair process is on hold until the end of July!
Strange. And yet people have reported here (eg a K-1 user from Sweden, IIRC) that their Sigma lenses were repaired/adjusted by their Sigma dealer literally just an hour after dropping off the lens for service. I guess some dealers have the parts in stock already, some may not.
06-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #13

What are folks finding for the lead time on lens repair? This is the start of senior portrait season and it's difficult to be without my workhorses for any length of time.
06-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Would any company do that?
Other companies do that all the time.
For one, it simply helps solve in advance a lot of support problems if you try to understand what equipment users are mounting on their cameras, whether it be flashes, lenses, microphones etc.
06-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote

I have emailed the Australian distributor for Sigma lenses (they are also the AU. distributor for Pentax cameras) and asked them about having the Sigma lenses modified for the K-1 and as yet they haven't responded. I'll keep PF informed, but I don't hold any high hopes...

?Pentax K-1? - repair service to be stopped temporarily - SIGMA CORPORATION
I dropped my Sigma 70-200/2.8 into CRK in Wright St Adelaide 10 or so days ago and got a call yesterday saying it's ready to be picked up.....no fee...... (back from Port Melbourne repair centre).... probably will get in to get it on Tuesday.