Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens roadmap question.....

I'm getting my K-1 shortly (I hope-long story but my dealer is getting one of a couple coming to my region from Pentax Europe next week) and am trying to decide if I should buy the FA 50 f1.4 now, or wait to see what comes out next year. I really want the K-1 with a "fast 50" and see a "standard large aperture prime" set for 2017. Will that new DFA lens be a 50 f1.4 or the like?

I currently have the ltd 31 and a bunch of old manual glass including a 50 f1.4 along with a slew of DA lenses so I should have plenty to work with, but would really like a new HD fast 50. I currently also have the DA 50 f1.4 which appears to give almost ff coverage, so that may work for a bit. Any thoughts?

06-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you already have the DA 50 f/1.8 and really want a modern HD 50mm (maybe with WR and in lens motor) then I see no point in getting the FA 50mm f/1.4 now. Those are common as chips and will always be available if you want one. But based on what you say I would wait and see what Ricoh brings out in a new 50mm and use your DA 50mm until then.

On the other hand there is no such thing as too many 50mm lenses, so...................................
06-09-2016, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sgtsween Quote
I'm getting my K-1 shortly (I hope-long story but my dealer is getting one of a couple coming to my region from Pentax Europe next week) and am trying to decide if I should buy the FA 50 f1.4 now, or wait to see what comes out next year. I really want the K-1 with a "fast 50" and see a "standard large aperture prime" set for 2017. Will that new DFA lens be a 50 f1.4 or the like?

I currently have the ltd 31 and a bunch of old manual glass including a 50 f1.4 along with a slew of DA lenses so I should have plenty to work with, but would really like a new HD fast 50. I currently also have the DA 50 f1.4 which appears to give almost ff coverage, so that may work for a bit. Any thoughts?
There is a "Large Aperture Standard Single Focus" [prime] lens on the FF roadmap for 2017 or beyond. I don't know the details, and I suspect few others do either!
06-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you already have the DA 50 f/1.8 and really want a modern HD 50mm (maybe with WR and in lens motor) then I see no point in getting the FA 50mm f/1.4 now. Those are common as chips and will always be available if you want one. But based on what you say I would wait and see what Ricoh brings out in a new 50mm and use your DA 50mm until then.

On the other hand there is no such thing as too many 50mm lenses, so...................................
Thanks! Is the coverage pretty decent on the DA 50? I have gotten good results from that lens on the K-3 and if it performs well on the K-1 then it will probably sate me until a new (hopefully HD and WR) fast 50 is released.

06-10-2016, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks! Is the coverage pretty decent on the DA 50? I have gotten good results from that lens on the K-3 and if it performs well on the K-1 then it will probably sate me until a new (hopefully HD and WR) fast 50 is released.
It has full FF coverage, with a bit of vignetting wide-open, but no black corners.

As for the lens on the roadmap, no further details are known at this time.

That said, if price is a concern, I highly doubt that it will be anything cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax went all-out with the optical design, following Sigma's footsteps with their 50mm Art.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2016, 02:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It has full FF coverage, with a bit of vignetting wide-open, but no black corners.

As for the lens on the roadmap, no further details are known at this time.

That said, if price is a concern, I highly doubt that it will be anything cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax went all-out with the optical design, following Sigma's footsteps with their 50mm Art.
Thanks, Adam! I think my plastic fantastic will keep me occupied for a bit then. Price is always an issue, but if they release a really good, fast 50 mm piece of glass next year I'd gladly pay a premium for it. FF Pentax with a true fast 50 on it is kind of my grail camera. I love the focal length.

On another note, my Pentax dealer reached out to tell me that a handful of K-1s will be shipped to Holland next week and one has my name on it. Fingers crossed!
06-10-2016, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

If you really need something now i would look at the DA* 55 1.4. Its a nice lens by all accounts though perhaps not still not the best out there.

Otherwise wait to see what pentax puts out. Like Adam, I expect new pentax lenses in the pro price range will perform exceptionally well.
06-10-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I would wait. We will probably know more in a few months when Photokina comes around. I expect all the new glass to be very high quality.

06-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would wait. We will probably know more in a few months when Photokina comes around. I expect all the new glass to be very high quality.
I think I will wait. I can make due with the primes I currently have, and may grab the 24-70 at some point. I totally forgot about Photokina, too. I made it to Photokina in 2014 and i may have to make the trip to Cologne again this year.
06-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

fish tank image. HI ISO

This is an uncropped test image taken with the K-1 using a FA24 f/2 lens taken at f5 @ 1/160.
The unique part is that I used 50150 ISO

The photo is uncropped with only minor tweeks in photo shop. It was an aquarium in Seward, Alaska. My interest there is whether
with somewhat ordinary lenses one could stand close to the glass and take photos of the underwater creatures at high ISO
My first answer to my own question is yes. I managed to get there with only the 24mm wide angle. After the fact
I'm thinking that a normal (50mm) lens would have been better
Attached Images

06-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
This is an uncropped test image taken with the K-1 using a FA24 f/2 lens taken at f5 @ 1/160.
The unique part is that I used 50150 ISO

The photo is uncropped with only minor tweeks in photo shop. It was an aquarium in Seward, Alaska. My interest there is whether
with somewhat ordinary lenses one could stand close to the glass and take photos of the underwater creatures at high ISO
My first answer to my own question is yes. I managed to get there with only the 24mm wide angle. After the fact
I'm thinking that a normal (50mm) lens would have been better
Nice results for so high an ISO! I'm going to check that lens out.
06-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice results for so high an ISO! I'm going to check that lens out.
I';ve had the FA*24 f2 around for a long time but with the advent of the K-1 I've dug it out and used it as a walking around lens. I'm sort of over loaded with DA stuff on the wide end, and I really don't like DA glass on a K1