Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 869
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
What are you talking about? Vignetting is at its worst wide open and improves as the lens is stopped down.

vjacesslav: SMC PENTAX DA 35MM F2.8 MACRO LIMITED vs FULL FRAME
as seen here in my thread i made this winter on the A7R vignetting becomes harder when stopping down the DA35 macro ltd when focused at infinity

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/317571-da35...frame-a7r.html

and no, the images are not reversed...

06-11-2016, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,937
When I read that 35mm ltd is not really good macro, I can't understand why. Yep, it's difficult to shot true macro with that lens, and it's not really pleasing bokeh for the flowers, but in many cases the obvious background brings some interesting perspective. This lens is sharp, and love it for true macro on K-1.
Here are a few quick examples, some as is no pp and cropping FF, the rest is heavy crops. At f16. The flash is harsh, I don't have the diffuser, and it's critical for 35mm macro. So, it's not really good job, but you will have an idea.
Attached Images
           
06-11-2016, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 28
I'm on my tablet and tbh hate typing on it so I'll keep it short and just add these test shots I made a few weeks ago with the HD version of the lens. Hope it helps.

1. Effect of hood (don't use it)


2. Vignetting


3. Vignetting close/far and open/stopped down


And test shots are all well and good but this is an actual photos off the type I like to take with this lens. Nothing wrong with it at all... This is at minimal focus distance.

06-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #19
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,115
That's not image circle vignetting. It's you taking a picture of the inside of your hood! If you pull the hood back in, the image circle actually does cover the entire sensor. That's why you are counterintuitively getting the more defined edge when you stop down - the DOF is increasing, so the insides of the hood are closer to being in focus.

If you look at Joost's images above, you can see what I mean.

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
as seen here in my thread i made this winter on the A7R vignetting becomes harder when stopping down the DA35 macro ltd when focused at infinity

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/317571-da35...frame-a7r.html

and no, the images are not reversed...


06-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,328
Btw, does the DA 35mm macro have a baffle on the back, as the DA* 60-250mm does?
06-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #21
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,115
Every Pentax K lens has a baffle of some sort or another.


QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Btw, does the DA 35mm macro have a baffle on the back, as the DA* 60-250mm does?
06-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,328
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Every Pentax K lens has a baffle of some sort or another.
Touché. But is it restricting the image circle, in this case?
06-11-2016, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #23
Marketplace Reseller
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,115
Doubtful, since the rearmost lens element is fixed in place and is flush with the baffle.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Touché. But is it restricting the image circle, in this case?


06-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,937
Yep, the hood is a killer. I would prefer to have an option for that lens with wider hood which is not build-in.
Hope Ricoh will start "rebrending" Pentax lenses for FF soon.
06-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,247
To put this one to bed, I just went out into the garden to get some test shots. I'm pretty sure there are two types of vignetting which take place here.

Please ignore the sensor dust and flare, as the hood was (of course) fully retracted for all shots.

First, there is what I will call optical vignetting, which is worst wide open, and occurs from MFD to infinity. It looks to be significantly more than half a stop to me (at least at infinity focus, where it almost extends to APS-C frame), but should be correctible in post processing.


MFD f/2.8


Infinity f/2.8

Stopped down, the optical vignetting is gone at MFD, but at infinity there is what I shall call physical vignetting, where the leading edge of the lens casing (not the hood, which is in all cases fully retracted) impinges into the field of view. Only a crop will fix this.


MFD f/22


Infinity f/22

And a couple of intermediate focal length shots to demonstrate how the two types of vignetting interact.


Landscape f/2.8


Landscape f/22

Bottom line: the Pentax-DA 1:2.8 35mm macro limited is NOT a full frame lens, except stopped down at close focal distances.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-12-2016 at 01:45 AM.
06-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 869
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
That's not image circle vignetting. It's you taking a picture of the inside of your hood! If you pull the hood back in, the image circle actually does cover the entire sensor. That's why you are counterintuitively getting the more defined edge when you stop down - the DOF is increasing, so the insides of the hood are closer to being in focus.

If you look at Joost's images above, you can see what I mean.
See sandys reply above. Hood in, high f number and focus at longer distan es gives hard vignetting. For macro its a completly different story
06-12-2016, 01:53 AM   #27
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 28
One thing that has gone unmentioned: sharpness and contrast hold up very well in the extended FF area though not in the extreme corners.

Personally I have no qualms about using this lens on the K-1 if it suits my needs but I will factor in that I might need to crop and/or remove some vignetting in PP. That is not a problem for me as everything goes through Lightroom anyway.

Basically: as with any lens you need to be aware of its character and traits and therefor of its restrictions.

Last edited by joostdh; 06-12-2016 at 03:06 AM.
06-12-2016, 02:15 AM   #28
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 81
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
To put this one to bed, I just went out into the garden to get some test shots. I'm pretty sure there are two types of vignetting which take place here.

Please ignore the sensor dust and flare, as the hood was (of course) fully retracted for all shots.

First, there is what I will call optical vignetting, which is worst wide open, and occurs from MFD to infinity. It looks to be significantly more than half a stop to me (at least at infinity focus, where it almost extends to APS-C frame), but should be correctible in post processing.


MFD f/2.8


Infinity f/2.8

Stopped down, the optical vignetting is gone at MFD, but at infinity there is what I shall call physical vignetting, where the leading edge of the lens casing (not the hood, which is in all cases fully retracted) impinges into the field of view. Only a crop will fix this.


MFD f/22


Infinity f/22

And a couple of intermediate focal length shots to demonstrate how the two types of vignetting interact.


Landscape f/2.8


Landscape f/22

Bottom line: the Pentax-DA 1:2.8 35mm macro limited is NOT a full frame lens, except stopped down at close focal distances.
I can confirm this, still the lens is very usable in FF mode in my opinion.

Here a sample in FF mode with F8 without correction of vignetting:


Same picture vignetting corrected, but beware that the darkened corners also have a drop in resolution which is not fixed:


In worst case one can slightly crop the picture if the lower resolution in the corners disturbs one.

I linked some other samples in this thread already:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/291365-da-lenses-fu...ml#post3641826
06-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 869
even tho its not the best landscape lens anymore due to vignetting. Macro works great and I still love my DA 35 macro ltd

06-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #30
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
To put this one to bed, I just went out into the garden to get some test shots. I'm pretty sure there are two types of vignetting which take place here.

Bottom line: the Pentax-DA 1:2.8 35mm macro limited is NOT a full frame lens, except stopped down at close focal distances.
Thanks for that demonstration, Sandy. The weather's been so adverse here since my K-1 arrived, that I haven't had the inclination to go out and do some more testing.

A post script to this might be, that the DA35/2.8 macro may evolve into a D-FA35/2.8 macro, with some optical redesign. Even ignoring the variety of tastes in macro focal lengths, the low weight and general performance of this lens is enough to earn it a place for a redesigned version in a future lineup of full frame 35mm format lenses.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
corners, da35/2.8 macro, depth, depth of field, dslr, field, frame, full frame, full-frame, image, k-1, k1, length, lens, macro, pentax k-1, photos, post, production, shot, tests
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA35 2.8 limited - I can't believe nobody bid on this one.. K57XR Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 05-09-2015 11:48 AM
FA 31 limited vs DA35 Macro 2.8 limited peterjcb Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 05-07-2014 03:21 PM
For Sale - Sold: K100D Super, 18-55, DA21, FA28, DA35/2.8 macro, DA40, FA50/1.7. FA50/2.8 macro dgaies Sold Items 14 09-18-2011 03:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top