Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 01:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA35/2.8 Macro Limited on K-1

This was the first lens I tested on my new K-1, which arrived today.

After some prior concern, I'm relieved to say that it seems the DA35 macro vignettes slightly on the K-1, but the image circle itself covers the frame. The shading looks like it's about half a stop, so it's easily removed in post processing.

Sharpness across the frame is something I've not yet had time to explore, but it's great to know that this very useful macro lens is usable on the K-1. Of course, you have to take care with the lens hood extension.

06-10-2016, 02:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The vignetting becomes worse when you stop down and becomes inrepairable
06-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you talking about? Vignetting is at its worst wide open and improves as the lens is stopped down.

vjacesslav: SMC PENTAX DA 35MM F2.8 MACRO LIMITED vs FULL FRAME

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
The vignetting becomes worse when you stop down and becomes inrepairable
06-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Image circle also depends on focus distance and aperture (and zoom, for zoom lenses). But yes, some users report the DA 35mm macro is okay at certain settings. Hope it gives you what you need

06-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was planning a series of tests to see what effect aperture had on vignetting, so you might save me the trouble by linking to any results that show this.

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2016 at 11:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
What are you talking about? Vignetting is at its worst wide open and improves as the lens is stopped down.

vjacesslav: SMC PENTAX DA 35MM F2.8 MACRO LIMITED vs FULL FRAME
Thanks for the link. I had thought that would be the case, so I was surprised at the suggestion that stopping down would make it worse.
06-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

This lens--more than any other DA lens--was the one I'd hoped would work on the K-1 without vignetting.
06-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This thread needs pictures
06-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Let me just say this...a 35mm lens on a full frame camera is a lousy true macro. The subject to lens distance for 1:2 and such is simply too short. You are much better off for macro purposes using a D FA 50 or D FA 100 for FF. Otherwise, use the crop-frame with the DA 35. 35mm equivalent on film has always been my favorite focal length for general photography. I would love to see Pentax make a D FA 35 1.4 for the K-1, though they do still make the FA 31 Limited, which is a pretty good.

06-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
Marketplace Reseller

Honestly, it's not a great macro length even for APS-C.

FWIW, though, I've always considered this lens to not primarily be a macro but rather to be more like a very capable compact standard WA (It really does render landscapes and portraits in a lovely manner) that happens to have macro capability for those unexpected situations where a nice macro subject presents itself. But if I go out specifically for a day of macro shooting, I always bring the bigger guns, even on APS-C.
06-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The benefit of the 35mm being larger depth of field though right? Which is always in short supply when shooting macro.
06-10-2016, 11:02 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Forum Member

I agree that 35mm is not a good length for macro. What this lens enables you to do though, having the macro capability, is shooting in a way you couldn't with any other lens. View it as a great prime normal (on APS-C) with built-in macro. I was able to get very close to objects and still get the surroundings which just flow into a dreamy, buttery bokeh.
The attached picture was taken handheld with a K-3.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
The benefit of the 35mm being larger depth of field though right? Which is always in short supply when shooting macro.
No. You are showing a mis-understanding of depth of field. If you frame an object, say 12" x 15", with a 35mm lens, the depth of field will be identical to the same 12" x 15" framed with a 50mm (or any other focal length) assuming you are using the same f-stop. Because the distance from the camera to the subject differs, the perspective changes. Take a photograph with a 50mm lens, then a photograph of the same scene from the exact same spot with a 35mm lens, crop the 35mm image to the same area as the 50mm image and compare them: you will see no differences between the two in either perspective or depth of field.

---------- Post added 06-10-16 at 01:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadrunnerdeluxe Quote
I agree that 35mm is not a good length for macro. What this lens enables you to do though, having the macro capability, is shooting in a way you couldn't with any other lens. View it as a great prime normal (on APS-C) with built-in macro. I was able to get very close to objects and still get the surroundings which just flow into a dreamy, buttery bokeh.
The attached picture was taken handheld with a K-3.
Lovely photograph. Great illustration of the strengths of the 35 limited.
06-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Yeah, even if you don't use this lens at 1:1, you can still focus nearer than you could with non-macro 35mm lenses. And the macro corrections are useful for everyday photography as well - this is why the lens is so blazingly sharp, with flat field of focus and low CA.
I hope Pentax makes a DFA wide angle with macro or at least almost-macro capabilities. But looks like the DA 35mm will do until then
06-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The main difference with a FL of 35mm used for close-focussed subjects is the perspective obtained of the subject, compared with lenses of different focal lengths, when the subject fills the same frame area. However, I agree that the DA35 macro is a very good general purpose lens on APS-C. I haven't yet had time to form an opinion of it on the K-1.
06-11-2016, 04:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
No. You are showing a mis-understanding of depth of field. If you frame an object, say 12" x 15", with a 35mm lens, the depth of field will be identical to the same 12" x 15" framed with a 50mm (or any other focal length) assuming you are using the same f-stop. Because the distance from the camera to the subject differs, the perspective changes. Take a photograph with a 50mm lens, then a photograph of the same scene from the exact same spot with a 35mm lens, crop the 35mm image to the same area as the 50mm image and compare them: you will see no differences between the two in either perspective or depth of field.
I guess I assumed incorrectly. Thank you for the education .