Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Old lens - New life on new K-1

I've had for a while a Tamron 500mm F8 mirror lens. I've got a few decent shots out of if with my crop bodies, but never really anything I was terribly impressed with. Local base had an air show on today, and the snow birds like to fly near my home. I decided just for fun to see how this lens worked with the K-1. I'm surprised how well it held up. Still not to the level of today's lenses, but I think better then I ever had before. I did shoot RAW, but this sample is camera generated JPG. 1st one if full shot, and second is a tight crop. It will be interesting to see if the RAW files come out even better once processed.

Attached Images

06-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pretty good for a mirror less. I noticed one thing about mirror lenses: the same mirror lens can deliver decent images on FF sensor, not so much with APSC.
06-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bizarre case of a lens getting better toward its edges. This sort of makes a twisted sort of sense given the nature of the design, but I couldn't even begin to explain it in technical terms.
06-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pretty good for a mirror less. I noticed one thing about mirror lenses: the same mirror lens can deliver decent images on FF sensor, not so much with APSC.
That does seem to be the case. I could get images that looked decent as framed, but once zoomed it, image quality degraded quickly. Not so much in this case. No idea what, but I'm not going to complain. lol

06-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great stuff! Never thought about it that way, and the results are really good!
06-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

There's a mirror lens club discussion thread. A good place to see how pix from yours compare to others' mirror lenses of varying ages and qualities!