Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Early Winter in Melbourne

Early winter in Melbourne and the "red hot poker plants" (Kniphofia uvaria) are in full bloom.

Taken near Healesville Sanctuary not far from Melbourne.

K-1, Pentax 28-105 ED DC WR, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/1500s

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:12 AM.
06-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Spectacular colours. Are you able to load or link to the original RAW so the K1 poor can have a play?
06-12-2016, 04:13 AM   #3

It's a lovely clear night in Melbourne for duvet jacket owners too!

Taken on my humble K3ii. ; )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-12-2016, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Early winter in Melbourne and the "red hot poker plants" (Kniphofia uvaria) are in full bloom.

Taken near Healesville Sanctuary not far from Melbourne.

K-1, Pentax 28-105 ED DC WR, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/1500s
I like your picture and I like your winters. Winter up here in the northeast USA is brown and gray and white (when it snows) with nothing blooming. Anyway, enough of that, it is early summer up here and its hot and everything is blooming.

06-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I like your picture and I like your winters. Winter up here in the northeast USA is brown and gray and white (when it snows) with nothing blooming. Anyway, enough of that, it is early summer up here and its hot and everything is blooming.
I think Melbourne winters are severly misrepresented by Schraubstocks post grey & gloomy is something Melbourne does well!
06-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi

I was going to write a follow up when CeeCee beat me to it.

I don't want readers here to think it is always like this in Melbourne. We certainly get a good number of clear bright sunny days during the winter months in our region. But temperatures usually don't drop much below the 4-6║ C with the occasional below zero║ C and a slight dusting of snow in the nearby hills (Dandenongs) in the morning is possible, but when this happens it makes the news in the press with kids scraping up enough snow to make a snowball. By lunch it is usually gone.

And just because it doesn't get below freezing it does not mean one can not feel cold. On a miserable day with rain and enough wind people run around rugged up as if they just came back from the south pole. When you live here in the south east of Australia (where Melbourne is located) your body thermometre works differently.

But one thing I have to say, winter in this region is the season when the native vegetation recovers from the hot summer and it is then that it is at its greenest. The introduced exotic species which the early European settlers introduced to Australia of course look like those in Europe in winter. But go out into the Australian bush and you will find lots of green and native winter flowers.

Cheers
06-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Are you able to load or link to the original RAW
Hi
Thanks for the interest.
No disrespect or accusations of you misusing the image; I am sorry, but I don't wish to hand out full res RAW files. I am sure you will understand.

Regards
06-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

No worries. Cheers.