Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

K1 + AF540fgz(I) no AF assist, Hss and PTTL errors (only for me?)

Hello,

Couple of questions and concerns, if its only my setup that is not working properly:

1. I`m very positive the AF assistant of the flash unit was working very well with my K5 - though I am not able to trigger it on K1.
2. The PTTL and HSS is also in question. Was happy with Av mode on K5. Sadly - its all wrong on K1. Even in the M and TaV modes it behaves inconsistently.

Does anyone else use this setup and have compatibility issues? Or is it something i may be doing wrong.

06-13-2016, 05:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunCrm Quote
Hello,

Couple of questions and concerns, if its only my setup that is not working properly:

1. I`m very positive the AF assistant of the flash unit was working very well with my K5 - though I am not able to trigger it on K1.
2. The PTTL and HSS is also in question. Was happy with Av mode on K5. Sadly - its all wrong on K1. Even in the M and TaV modes it behaves inconsistently.

Does anyone else use this setup and have compatibility issues? Or is it something i may be doing wrong.
I posted maybe something similar here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319873-post-k-1-bugs-issue...-ricoh-12.html
There are some answers from Clackers

Pentax K-1 and AF540FGZII flash: no right HSS with "A" lenses

Today I noticed that Pentax K-1 camera does a "bad" job while using "A" manual lenses in Av mode and Pentax AF540FGZII flash in HSS mode. In case the exposure should be more than 1/200s (bright light condition), camera uses 1/8000s only. And in csae the exposure should be less than 1/200s, camera uses 1/200s only. No other exposures possible. It means that while using lenses with aperture 1.2-1.4 or similar in the sunny day, you can't use flash in HSS mode to correctly expose picture, e.g. when you need to fill shadows on the face).
This is in contrast with my Pentax K-5II, that CAN USE different exposures with "A" lenses when flash is in HSS mode (exposure changes every time according to the brightness of enviroment or object in focus - adaptive metering).
It's a pitty.
With FA, DFA lenses K-1 is doing the job right. So I think something is changed in K-1 firmware and could be corrected in firmware update.
By the way, I also noticed that adaptive metering is possible in K-5II camera while using non-A manual lenses and flash in HSS mode. It is interesting, because camera do that about 3-5 seconds after the shot, that is exposed by 1/180s. In these 3-5 seconds you can make another shot with flash that is exposed correctly.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319873-post-k-1-bugs-issue...#ixzz4BSchFbPp
06-13-2016, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #3

P111 of the Z-1 manual states the AF assist light is not available with AF540FGZ(I) or AF360FGZ(1).
06-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

Page 111 also says HSS over 1/200th is only for Tv, Tav and M modes. Nothing about Av.

06-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Page 111 also says HSS over 1/200th is only for Tv, Tav and M modes. Nothing about Av.
It is possible to use Av mode with HSS in pentax K-5ii. But according to Clackers comment in another post, there is no such information in k-5ii manual.
06-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

The K-3 manual says select an exposure mode (such as Tv) where you can set the shutter speed. No Av.

The K-3ii manual says the same as the K-1 manual - select Tv, Tav, or M and set the shutter speed. No Av

The problem is in the K-5 and K-5ii

Av mode does not allow you to set the shutter speed directly. If the ambient light changes the selected shutter speed could drop to 1/180th or lower, which is probably why Ricoh eliminated HSS in Av.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-13-2016 at 01:51 PM.
06-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The K-3 manual says select an exposure mode (such as Tv) where you can set the shutter speed. No Av.

The K-3ii manual says the same as the K-1 manual - select Tv, Tav, or M and set the shutter speed. No Av

The problem is in the K-5 and K-5ii

Av mode does not allow you to set the shutter speed directly. If the ambient light changes the selected shutter speed could drop to 1/180th or lower, which is probably why Ricoh eliminated HSS in Av.
It doesn't drop below the flash sync speed with an A lens. If ambient light drops too much then the shutter speed indicator flashes (@ 1/180s on a K-5, with an A lens) to warn you of an exposure issue. The camera doesn't force a slower shutter speed. The flash will also change to regular mode temporarily, instead of HSS.

It drops to 1/100s and flashes when I try FA 50 f/1.7, but doesn't go lower than that.

1/80s with the same lens and same settings on K-1, but the shutter speed indicator does not blink to indicate a bad exposure.

Looking back at what I shot on the weekend, slowest shutter speed I got was 1/50s when I shot at 24mm with Sigma 24-60mm @ f/8. When receiving focal length from the lens the camera is being quite rational with the shutter speeds, keeping them well above 1:1 focal length/SS.

Ignoring all that, Ricoh did not eliminate HSS in AV mode, it only fails with A-lenses where it used to work before.

Last edited by Mock; 06-13-2016 at 05:43 PM.