Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But then you get nothing at all in LiveView, Tjompen, and presumably you're looking at this tethered on a monitor or similar.
Did you missread? Camera setting to Optical Preview or what it is called.

When I take a landscape shot and want to maximize depth of field but not IQ I start with composing in the viewfinder, then Live view to set focus. I set my aperture, zoom in on my focus spot and stop down the aperture with the lever. Setting focus. Then I stay zoomed in "walking" arround in the image, stopping down in the areas I want sharp to check focus.

I will have alot of noise if it is dark outside but still it gives me hint on how the final image will look. I take a test shot and examine the result.

06-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
Does this sound correct?
Yes...that is the way it works when you have a K-mount lenses mounted and DOF preview is set to "optical". With all the advice thrown at you in the last few weeks, the preview feature got moved from the default "optical" setting to the somewhat-less-useful and fairly confusing "digital" setting. Now that it is back on the "optical" setting, it looks like you have a workable solution.

Cool!

Steve

(...checked out the "digital" DOF preview feature once...never used it again...)

* Almost all K-mount lenses remain wide open except at exposure time or when using a camera's DOF preview feature.
06-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes...that is the way it works when you have a K-mount lenses mounted and DOF preview is set to "optical". With all the advice thrown at you in the last few weeks, the preview feature got moved from the default "optical" setting to the somewhat-less-useful and fairly confusing "digital" setting. Now that it is back on the "optical" setting, it looks like you have a workable solution.

Cool!

Steve

(...checked out the "digital" DOF preview feature once...never used it again...)

* Almost all K-mount lenses remain wide open except at exposure time or when using a camera's DOF preview feature.
I have taken advice all from all comers, so somewhere that is what happened. The Preview got set to DIgital, and that is what confused me for many days. Now I see how it works. It is not how I would like it, but I will get used to it in a while, hopefully. It is doable. Thanks all!

---------- Post added 06-15-16 at 08:43 AM ----------

I still have one confusion. When I look at an image in LiveView, magnified, and with the Preview Button, I can see the depth-of-field, but not the proper amount of light. It is way too bright. Is there a way around this or is this just how it is?

Last edited by MichaelErlewine; 06-15-2016 at 08:45 AM.
06-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter

It is way too bright. Is there a way around this or is this just how it is?
I suggest you play with this one. The functionality on Pentax cameras is very consistent between the flagship models, but at some point what works on my K-3 will be different on your K-1. I believe the set of points below are true for live view on both cameras when a fully coupled lens is mounted:
  • Exposure comp in other than "auto" (green) mode will provide Exposure Preview to a limit of +/- 2 stops. Understandably, this is not visible in M mode until the green button is pressed.
  • In M mode, Exposure Preview is active for both aperture and shutter speed. Things get strange if exposure comp is also dialed in and the green button is pressed. The total dimming/brightening is limited to +/- 2 stops regardless of how it is done.
Play with it. The Pentax Exposure Preview implementation is more limited than what your D810 provides (+/- 2 stops vs. +/- 3 stops), but may meet your needs.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-15-2016 at 09:53 AM.
06-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Play with it. The Pentax Exposure Preview implementation is more limited than what your D810 provides (+/- 2 stops vs. +/- 3 stops), but may meet your needs.

Steve
I will see what I can manage here. One nice thing is that my Sigma 35mm ART lens for the Pentax mount arrived, and it really is a nice lens, especially with pixel-shift.

Thanks for the help!
06-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #21
Pentaxian

To make this brighter just press F2 and choose a brightness.
06-15-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter

still have one confusion. When I look at an image in LiveView, magnified, and with the Preview Button, I can see the depth-of-field, but not the proper amount of light. It is way too bright. Is there a way around this or is this just how it is?

There is a fairly easy work-around for this: In Manual Exposure VIDEO mode you can set your desired aperture and the aperture will remain set at your chosen value while you do the critical focusing (also if you use live view magnification). And you can set your exposure time and see the live view image brighten or darken accordingly. You can of course also use Av Vide mode and let the camera decide upon your exposure time. Only limitation is that you cannot set or have exposure times longer than 1/30s in any of the selectable Video modes. Within that limit you get a fairly good WYSIWYG representation of your resulting image, in respect of as well Focus/DoF as Brightness.

I use this work-around all the time when I do critical focusing in Lunar and filtered Solar astrophotography, because the annoyingly uncontrollable auto-gain in normal still-image shooting modes will blow out the Lunar or Solar image in an attempt to compensate for all the surrounding black sky. Well, you can try using spot metering but at my long focal lengths the Sun and Moon moves so fast that you cannot keep them centred for any decent period of time
06-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am a newbie to Pentax, but not to photography. I just got a copy of the Sigma 35mm f.1.4 ART lens, which is coupled to the K1 body. Very nice lens. Here is my question:

Even with a lens that is coupled to the Pentax K1. When I look at a still-life scene in LiveView (I am shooting in pixel-shift mode, non moving), I see the flowers I am going to be photographing. When I turn one of the dials, I can see the shutter change and a change in the light on the flowers. When I turn the other dial, I see the aperture change, which also affects the light.

However, it seems, aside from darkening and lightening, that what I see does not change, aperture-wise, meaning I don't see more or less of the depth-of-field in LiveView, but just a static view of the lens wide open. Is this the way it is? Is there no way, with a coupled lens, to see the aperture change the DOF in Live-View, AND when I magnify, same deal. Magnified, I have to TRY to focus on the lens wide-open, even if I have it set to f/16 and need to see the depth of field in order to focus properly.

Please enlighten me to the possibilities.
The camera has a mind of its own when it comes to live view. It will stop the lens down as it sees fit; when it's really bright, I've found that the lens tends to be stopped down by a few stops, and then the camera opens it back up while focusing.

Mechanical DoF preview will be your best bet.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The camera has a mind of its own when it comes to live view. It will stop the lens down as it sees fit; when it's really bright, I've found that the lens tends to be stopped down by a few stops, and then the camera opens it back up while focusing.

Mechanical DoF preview will be your best bet.
This is the same working that K-01 has.
06-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I use this work-around all the time when I do critical focusing in Lunar and filtered Solar astrophotography, because the annoyingly uncontrollable auto-gain in normal still-image shooting modes will blow out the Lunar or Solar image in an attempt to compensate for all the surrounding black sky. Well, you can try using spot metering but at my long focal lengths the Sun and Moon moves so fast that you cannot keep them centred for any decent period of time
Thanks, I will check it out. I understand lunar and solar motion, having programmed the Sun, Moon, and planets in many different ways over some 40 years.
06-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Did you missread? Camera setting to Optical Preview or what it is called.
No, apologies, Tjompen, not noticing a difference in M mode I thought Optical Preview was only for the OVF

Thanks for the education!

06-15-2016, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, apologies, Tjompen, not noticing a difference in M mode I thought Optical Preview was only for the OVF

Thanks for the education!
It is sort of a bad name for the feature option. I have had my K-3 for two years and only recently discovered that the real-time stop-down worked quite nicely in both live view and with the optical viewfinder.

Steve