Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 05:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Question on What We See When We Change Aperture and Shutter in LiveView

I am a newbie to Pentax, but not to photography. I just got a copy of the Sigma 35mm f.1.4 ART lens, which is coupled to the K1 body. Very nice lens. Here is my question:

Even with a lens that is coupled to the Pentax K1. When I look at a still-life scene in LiveView (I am shooting in pixel-shift mode, non moving), I see the flowers I am going to be photographing. When I turn one of the dials, I can see the shutter change and a change in the light on the flowers. When I turn the other dial, I see the aperture change, which also affects the light.

However, it seems, aside from darkening and lightening, that what I see does not change, aperture-wise, meaning I don't see more or less of the depth-of-field in LiveView, but just a static view of the lens wide open. Is this the way it is? Is there no way, with a coupled lens, to see the aperture change the DOF in Live-View, AND when I magnify, same deal. Magnified, I have to TRY to focus on the lens wide-open, even if I have it set to f/16 and need to see the depth of field in order to focus properly.

Please enlighten me to the possibilities.

06-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the DOF preview button not do what you want?
06-15-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check p55 of your manual, Michael ... you can zoom into the Digital Preview.
06-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #4
Unregistered User

Turn the On/Off swith to the DOF preview position and it will change.

You may also zoom in on a spot and do the same to see it closely

06-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Check p55 of your manual, Michael ... you can zoom into the Digital Preview.
What I need (or am used to) is to view the actual DOF in LiveView... AND magnify and focus in that DOF, so that I can clearly see what is in focus. Can we do this?
06-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
What I need (or am used to) is to view the actual DOF in LiveView... AND magnify and focus in that DOF, so that I can clearly see what is in focus. Can we do this?
Yeah, you get all of that, and exposure, but it's like chimping ... you're staring at a JPEG, really.

Would suit your tripod-based macro work than styles the rest of us do, I suspect.
06-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

However, it seems, aside from darkening and lightening, that what I see does not change, aperture-wise, meaning I don't see more or less of the depth-of-field in LiveView, but just a static view of the lens wide open. Is this the way it is? Is there no way, with a coupled lens, to see the aperture change the DOF in Live-View, AND when I magnify, same deal. Magnified, I have to TRY to focus on the lens wide-open, even if I have it set to f/16 and need to see the depth of field in order to focus properly.
Live view does not represent the final photo. Live view is merely an aid to help you compose and focus. You can use the DoF preview (you may have to configure it to a custom button), which will show you the DoF/bokeh of the final image. But Live view ignores shutter speed and ISO when it displays the image, and most of the time it uses the wrong aperture. This is why using Zoom is helpful - it opens the lens' aperture to maximum, for easier manual focus. And DoF preview button shows the actual chosen aperture.

Simply put, live view is not an accurate representation of the final photo with your chosen settings. It is merely a guide. Just like OVF doesn't show you the same brightness as the final photo, because it cannot compensate for shutter speed and ISO choices.
Both are valuable tools and you have to learn which buttons to press to get the information you need, to get the photo you want. Focus peaking and digital zoom are the most important, and DoF preview helps as well. With practice, you will intuitively understand these things and will be able to "imagine" what the final photo will look better than what the camera shows you.

06-15-2016, 05:58 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, you get all of that, and exposure, but it's like chimping ... you're staring at a JPEG, really.

Would suit your tripod-based macro work than styles the rest of us do, I suspect.
I "get all that," but how? You mean I have to try and focus on a static JPG?
06-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #9
Unregistered User

As long as you have not configured digital preview you will have live view of the scene when turning the main swith to dof preview.
06-15-2016, 06:16 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I "get all that," but how? You mean I have to try and focus on a static JPG?
Wouldn't it be better to move along the rail wide open in Live View to focus, then stop down and do the Preview to see the exposure, white balance and DoF?

Remember, the preview isn't being stored on the card, so you can take as many as you like.
06-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
As long as you have not configured digital preview you will have live view of the scene when turning the main swith to dof preview.
OK, I found my mistake. I had "Digital Preview" enabled. By turning it off, I can see DOF by turning the ON/OFF switch to far clockwise.... AND I can magnify and focus at the same time. Does this sound correct?
06-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
But then you get nothing at all in LiveView, Tjompen, and presumably you're looking at this tethered on a monitor or similar.
06-15-2016, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
But then you get nothing at all in LiveView, Tjompen, and presumably you're looking at this tethered on a monitor or similar.
I am not tethered. I am in LiveView, and turn the ON/OFF Switch to the far end, clockwise, and I see depth-of-field in real time on LiveView. AND, if I do this in MAGNIFY MODE, I can see where to focus within the depth-of-field I have selected. This seems to work and it is doable, but a little like the old kid thing of rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time. You need both hands to bring it off.
06-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #14
Ole
Administrator

OK, I found my mistake. I had "Digital Preview" enabled. By turning it off, I can see DOF by turning the ON/OFF switch to far clockwise.... AND I can magnify and focus at the same time. Does this sound correct?
Yes it does.
06-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

But then you get nothing at all in LiveView.

You get live view stopped down to the selected aperture.