Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 06:00 AM   #1

K1 with Sigma Lens

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.
I started with K5 and bought the Sigma EX APO DG 70-200mm f2.8 II HSM, Full Format Lens, ready for when the Pentax FF DSLR finally comes along!
Then came the K3, which I upgraded to. Sold the K5
Finally along came the K1, so I upgraded (Love it by the way) Sold the K3
When I tried the 70-200 on the K1 it wouldn't work, in fact the top display window froze (as did I!)
Anyway turned camera off - display stayed on (gulp!)
Removed battery and lens, re-fitted battery and Pentax 24-70 FF lens - all OK.
Tried 70-200 again, same result!
As it had been a couple of months since I had used the 70-200 on the K3 (which I had sold) I thought maybe the lens was now faulty.
I went round to my friend who has a K50, tried the 70-200 on that and it worked perfectly!
So in a nutshell the 70-200 works on the K5, the K3 and the K50, but doesn't work on the K1?
I contacted Pentax Technical Support and explained as above, and they simply replied - "We don't support third party lenses" (disappointing response to say the least)
I then spoke to Sigma, who are aware of this problem, and they believe Pentax are aware and will probably resolve, but could take weeks, months or longer!
So I have a great lens which I paid 700.00 ish for that doesn't work on my K1 (at the moment), do I wait and hope Pentax resolve?
Problem is the new Pentax FA 70-200 f2.8 is 1,700.00 ish.
Any advice gratefully received.

06-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

Make sure that the lens mount isn't hitting the top of the camera forcing the contacts to not have good contact. Also, if you can live with the sound the Tamron 70-200 is sharp, but screwdrive.
06-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Unless you are willing to change lenses Phil the answer is obvious I'm afraid - you'll just have to wait until Pentax and/or Sigma sort out a firmware upgrade. It's the downside to third party lenses.
06-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would contact sigma for the problem. They have a mount replace the mount for your lens anyway because of this(Sigma Offers K-1-Related Lens Repair Service - Photo Industry News | PentaxForums.com). Not sure if this is the cause of the problem with the 70-200 on the K-1 it may also need new firmware.

06-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Make sure that the lens mount isn't hitting the top of the camera forcing the contacts to not have good contact. Also, if you can live with the sound the Tamron 70-200 is sharp, but screwdrive.
Thanks
06-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is your lens is physically mounting fine [ie no scratch contact with K-1 body], or does the lens fit cleanly, but you are having a problem with the camera driving the lens properly?

Some Sigma 70-200 HSM II's (like mine) mount fine and work fine with the K-1. The software problem with the HSM II seems related to the lens identifier associated with the lens and passed onto the camera.

You may find this info of interest from one of the earlier threads here that have discussed the Sigma 70-200's:

QuoteQuote:
"There are two variants of the "70-200/2.8 APO DG EX Macro II HSM" around. Those can be discerned by looking at the exif data produced by a camera using the lens (you'd have to use something older than the K-1, obviously). The faulty lens gives LensID "8 255", whilst the working variant gives LensID "8 16".

Supposedly Sigma's repair services are abled to perform a firmware update of the lens' firmware.."
06-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second the Tamron recommendation if you don't want to go for the D FA* 70-200mm, which is more or less an optical masterpiece if you ask me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-16-2016, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma 70-200 HSM II works for me (works awesome actually) with the K-1, but only after a firmware update from Sigma. I sent it in and it was back to me in a few days.

06-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #9

Here's the fix: go to Sigma's webpage and put in a service request order to update the firmware of your lens. In their system, it's called the K-7 firmware update. Mail your lens in, they fix the firmware, they send the same lens back.

The issue is the body is reading the lens's EXIF ID and the current number is in conflict with other lenses. The firmware update just so happens to change the lens ID (not its original intent, but a side effect). Pre-update, my lens's ID was an 8.255. Post-update, it's an 8.16. This ID works flawlessly on K-1's.

I think from sending-to-return, the Sigma was out of my hands for 8 days.

EDIT: dcpropilot got it posted while I was typing.
06-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your advice.
I will get on to Sigma and see what they can do with my lens.