Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #151
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
it was the design and manufacture of the engine - the British and American jet engines were better.
Frank Whittle's autobiography suggests the British were having their own problems, but the real issue was the dichotomy between centrifugal-flow on the British side and axial-flow on the German. Centrifugal flow jet engines were an evolutionary dead end for high performance fighters, but they were more reliable in the early days and the development benefited immensely from extensive British work (especially by Rolls Royce) with supercharger compressors. The Germans had the right long-term idea going for axial, but their research-development and metallurgy let them down.

Anyway, back to cameras...

06-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Frank Whittle's autobiography suggests the British were having their own problems, but the real issue was the dichotomy between centrifugal-flow on the British side and axial-flow on the German. Centrifugal flow jet engines were an evolutionary dead end for high performance fighters, but they were more reliable in the early days and the development benefited immensely from extensive British work (especially by Rolls Royce) with supercharger compressors. The Germans had the right long-term idea going for axial, but their research-development and metallurgy let them down.
That's the story I recall my fluid dynamics lecturer telling the class, a long time ago. I bought a copy of Adolph Galland's autobiography a while ago, which I must re-read now.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Anyway, back to cameras...
Why, when the thread topic had got so stale?
06-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #153
Pentaxian

I don't know why this thread ended up with WWII aircrafts although I used to be crazy about them but, my question is regarding AF. The AF assessment of the k-1 on this review was basically poor. In one of Mr. Northrup's reviews on entry level cameras, he rated the ks-2 quite well in AF. Does this mean that Pentax APS-C cameras have better AF than the k-1? I don't own a k-1 that's why I'm asking.
06-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #154
Pentaxian

The K-1 has a much better/advanced AF than the K-S2's SAFOX XI. Don't assume his videos are accurate... they're often not (remember when he got angry at camera manufacturers for not lying about the focal length inscribed on the lenses?)

06-26-2016, 01:48 AM   #155
Pentaxian

I like some of his reviews and I'm no expert. But comparing brand new lenses with a set of second hand lenses? Hmmmm.
06-26-2016, 02:40 AM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Tony Northrup's full of it. I don't know why, but there's something just a hair "off" about many of his videos which sends me rushing almost anywhere else for photo advice. I'm not sure whether it's the style or the content, but something about him continually rubs me up the wrong way in a way that doesn't happen with almost anyone else I've watched, even though most of them are dedicated Nikonians (w.r.t. their SLR systems) and do nothing to hide the fact.

Perhaps it's because with him I feel like I'm watching a late night informercial. That's really odd, because I love the Adorama vids done by Gavin Hoey and Mark Wallace, for example, even though they pretty much ARE infomercials. Maybe it's because they're more about the technique than the brand of gear they're using? IDK
06-26-2016, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #157
Pentaxian

TheCameraStoreTV in my opinion gave a more balanced review. But I don't know if they're pro Pentax.
06-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #158
Pentaxian

I don't think they are - they bashed some Pentax cameras pretty badly (e.g. the K-S1).

06-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #159

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I don't know why this thread ended up with WWII aircrafts
because thats more interesting than tony northrup?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think they are - they bashed some Pentax cameras pretty badly (e.g. the K-S1).
thats cause car stereos had better ergonomics, and was designed for a market that barely exists "younger generation"
they want go pros and dji phantom drones etc
06-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #160
Pentaxian

I had a K-S1 in my own hands, and I disagree.
Its grip is not deep enough to work with larger lenses; but with a smaller lens it's OK. I'd say it's better than entry level Canikons, and better than those way-too-small MILCs.
06-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #161
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
TheCameraStoreTV in my opinion gave a more balanced review. But I don't know if they're pro Pentax.
They sell Pentax in their store and part of the purpose of the videos is to market the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, they did. I bet they did not order many for the store either

Steve
06-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Perhaps they didn't order any, which would explain their inability to sell
06-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I found it worthwhile to listen to another viewpoint. I thought the used lens comparison was off base and just a way to diminish a significant Pentax advantage. Since my main interest in upgrading from the K3 is autofocus performance I sense the K1, based on the Forum Review and posts by users, is noticeably better that the K3. It is interesting to see how this particular reviewer saw Pentax AF in motion environments. Perhaps better but still a way to go?
06-27-2016, 04:10 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Perhaps better but still a way to go?
I don't expect them to ever catch up with Canon or Nikon unless AF technology matures (as in no more improvements possible). Doesn't mean it isn't a lot better than it used to be.
06-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #165
Pentaxian

The K-S1 was way overpriced at start and missed some key futures. It was short on things that make Pentax stand out from other brands (like not wheatersealed) and had these led light. Smart from them not to order to much, since they have to take the risk for selling.

The K-1 is in stock in their store, so they do believe in their products they want to sell.