Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #256
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Well if only Pentax lovers were to review Pentax cameras, all the reviews would be glowing and you would have non-Pentax users buying cameras and saying "this camera is a piece of rubbish, the AF is not as good as my old Canon, RA RA RA RA RA........."

You can't all have it your own way. People are going to review your beloved camera and are going to put it down, because believe it or not, it has it's faults, as does the system and as do the lenses.

I am a heavily invested Pentax MF user and I know my cameras faults, but I don't put down every reviewer that says "there's no LF lenses", because it's true.

If The Camera Store and Tony Northup publishing videos taking the piss out of Pentaxians and their delicate feelings is not enough to make you realize this situation, then nothing else ever will.
Dude. We know the faults. Everyone knows them. Most reviewers qualify the camera as what it is, learn its features and review it in context. Even DPR.

This review - and the whiney follow-up response - reeks of his hurt feelings over not being first in line.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-21-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Edited vulgarity in quoted post
07-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dude. We know the faults. Everyone knows them. Most reviewers qualify the camera as what it is, learn its features and review it in context. Even DPR.

This review - and the whiney follow-up response - reeks of his hurt feelings over not being first in line.
You speak as if the whole world knows the faults and history of Pentax, well actually most people don't spend their time on the forums, in fact a large majority of users will never visit this forum. YouTube the the second biggest search engine in the world and any potential new Pentax buyer is more likely to visit YouTube then little ol' PentaxForums.

I am not taking his side, but he is entitled to his opinion, for which most part is justified.
07-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #258
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
The site he is claiming to have tested Pentax lenses have charts that have DXO on them. If they are DXO charts were they from testing the lenses on a K1.
They were tested by the author using DxO's tools and software and are labeled as being from the K-1. This is something you can buy, though my preference would be Imatest...less smoke and mirrors.

Steve
07-01-2016, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #259
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Has anyone ever learned one pice of useful information from this clown?
There was the time when he put a used, bargain-bin, low-end Pentax body with kit lens head-to-head against his wife's FF Nikon (Canon?). Through good technique and PP he was came very close to matching her results, though at the price of convenience. Lesson learned? Convenience is expensive, but not essential.

Steve

07-01-2016, 07:56 PM - 2 Likes   #260
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Why can't I go out and buy a Nikon camera and post my review of it on YouTube? In this era anyone can post anything.
You need a potted palm, a bookcase, a desk, and a BIG microphone. Once those are in place, you have instant credibility and can sway millions on a diverse range of subjects. Oh, and a pretty co-host is helpful too...spray tan, not so helpful...

Steve
07-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #261
Site Supporter

Well if only Pentax lovers were to review Pentax cameras, all the reviews would be glowing
You mean like the user reviews on this site?

Steve
07-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think they are - they bashed some Pentax cameras pretty badly (e.g. the K-S1).
But they have said that they like Pentax.
07-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #263
Site Supporter

You speak as if the whole world knows the faults and history of Pentax, well actually most people don't spend their time on the forums, in fact a large majority of users will never visit this forum. YouTube the the second biggest search engine in the world and any potential new Pentax buyer is more likely to visit YouTube then little ol' PentaxForums.

I am not taking his side, but he is entitled to his opinion, for which most part is justified.
Its funny then, that people buy stuff (like expensive cameras) without any research about them, in any brand, just because some random guy on internet tells what is better for them.

07-01-2016, 09:24 PM - 6 Likes   #264
Pentaxian

I don't rate his reviews that highly either - but that doesn't give me any right to mock and denigrate the man. As I see it, a lot of people in this thread should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves and need to take a good hard look in the mirror. Totally abhorrent and hostile behavior shown here at PF.

Why not just stay away from a reviewer you didn't like rather than ripping him apart while hiding behind computer screens typing your vitriol? It just comes across as deep personal insecurity. So very very disappointing to read.
Of course I expect some will attack me now, but honestly don't waste your time because I'll not be returning.
07-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #265
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't rate his reviews that highly either - but that doesn't give me any right to mock and denigrate the man. As I see it, a lot of people in this thread should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves and need to take a good hard look in the mirror. Totally abhorrent and hostile behavior shown here at PF.

Why not just stay away from a reviewer you didn't like rather than ripping him apart while hiding behind computer screens typing your vitriol? It just comes across as deep personal insecurity. So very very disappointing to read.
Of course I expect some will attack me now, but honestly don't waste your time because I'll not be returning.
Thanks for your comment. It had me reviewing my posts to see if I had been nasty or inaccurate or mocking. Thanks for sharing your observations.

Steve
07-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #266
Pentaxian

This is exactly why for a good portion of other forum sites, Pentaxians and as a result, Pentax cameras, are not taken seriously.
07-01-2016, 11:33 PM - 2 Likes   #267
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I gave up reading this thread a week or so back, but looking again just now reveals just how an impression of group behaviour can be gained from the prominent actions of a few. To say that "a lot of people should be ashamed of themselves" is, I think, a gross overstatement, in this instance. One or two may be rightly accused of mocking or denigrating, but the majority of negative comments could not be classified that way, simply stating they don't take much notice of the reviewer in question, or that they didn't think the review was fair and unbiased, although some didn't give a clear explanation of why they thought that way. On the other hand, several members (me included) have stated why they disagree with parts of the review, and that's fair comment in most people's eyes.

Disagreement also isn't attacking, so if you can't face up to that, and turn your back and walk away, then why bother making a point in the first place?
07-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #268
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well if only Pentax lovers were to review Pentax cameras, all the reviews would be glowing.
We are *way* tougher on ourselves and the products we use than Canikonyites! 😂

You 645Z owners need to hang out in the 'Pentax is doomed' threads for a while.
07-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #269
Pentaxian

Like some of us here, I agree to some of the things that he said. And, as I've said before, I also know the deficiencies of the K-1 versus Canon and Nikon. And, I have no qualms as to what he said about it. What I didn't like was he said that Pentax was cheaper than Canon and Nikon using new lenses. Then he shows that you can buy second hand lenses and you'll end up cheaper with Canon and Nikon. You have to compare new items with new items. I believe comparing new lenses with old lenses is like comparing new bread against bread with molds.
07-02-2016, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #270
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think the thread is as bad as that. A few folks did come across pretty harshly, but certainly not everyone. At the same time, if Tony Northup has a right to have an opinion of Pentax gear (without much knowledge of it), then we also have a right to form opinions about his review, which seemed fairly shallow and uninformed.