Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #286
Pentaxian
dcBear78's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gladstone, QLD
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 819
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
If Pentax can install tracking as good as Nikon on the k-1 successor, it will be a killer camera.


Needs more of them, covering a greater amount of the frame as well. I believe/hope the next iteration of Pentax cameras should hopefully address this.

07-03-2016, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #287
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
If Pentax can install tracking as good as Nikon on the k-1 successor, it will be a killer camera.
Well a K-1s in 2018 with some updates and a new version in 2020, so you better start living with K-1 and be happy.
07-03-2016, 03:28 AM   #288
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 758
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
ok, I'll bite, how come you got your copies for free ???
Bit of Billy Bonus.

---------- Post added 07-03-16 at 03:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
That video is about motor speed, not accuracy, # of AF points or tracking. As far as I know its the tracking that is most far behind, and that is somewhat related to # points and point spread.
Aye, it's not great.

Pentax and Pentaxian's need to accept this is Pentax' weak point and therefore what needs sorting most. It'll happen.
07-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #289
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 758
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well a K-1s in 2018 with some updates and a new version in 2020, so you better start living with K-1 and be happy.
That's a very good thing to be honest, Ron. I see hard times ahead and it's time to prioritise finances.

07-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #290
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,954
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well a K-1s in 2018 with some updates and a new version in 2020, so you better start living with K-1 and be happy.
Maybe I am too easy to please, but the current K-1 is more than adequate for everything I shoot.
07-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #291
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,715
Original Poster
If anyone still cares,

https://youtu.be/aeNFGn3OBbQ?t=8m38s
07-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #292
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,614
Yeah Sigma listen to Tony (and don't forget about the size of the mount ).
07-06-2016, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #293
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 42
Interesting........ i was watching tony's attack of the pentaxian video i,m sure the guy know a lot of stuff about old glass but not quite as much as cooke optics

in the film world all the lens manufactures are running around trying to sell you 4k lenses as your old one won,t be good enough (wrong) ....cooke who make amazing lenses for cinema camera published this

it is only based on a 4k sensor but there point is any film glass from say the past 30 odd years should out resolve a modern sensor by a fair margin and they actually explain what going on as opposed to telling you to look at someone else website

interesting reading

http://www.cookeoptics.co.uk/techdoc/AFEEAD0010089A9585257BB40064E20F/Are%20...n%20camera.pdf

07-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #294
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,937
QuoteOriginally posted by gnugent Quote
it is only based on a 4k sensor but there point is any film glass from say the past 30 odd years should out resolve a modern sensor by a fair margin...
The common -- but still incorrect -- statement that old film glass is not up to the demands of a 36MP sensor is plain nonsense. TN and DPReview unfortunately do not know better than to lazyily parrot this uninformed statement.

If anyone said that it is an issue that a lens like the FA* 85/1.4 is only available on the used market and one therefore does not has the comfort of immediate availability/access and manufacturer warranties, I'd immediately agree. However, to dismiss older glass on the basis that it is not optically good enough, is silly.

Let me make just one remark: If lenses were inadequate for a 36MP K-1 then they would have been inadequate for a 16MP K-5 all along (the smaller sensor places a higher demand on the resolving powers of lenses). Did any of these "experts" ever make that claim for 16MP APS-C sensors?
07-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #295
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 42
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The common -- but still incorrect -- statement that old film glass is not up to the demands of a 36MP sensor is plain nonsense. TN and DPReview unfortunately do not know better than to lazyily parrot this uninformed statement.

If anyone said that it is an issue that a lens like the FA* 85/1.4 is only available on the used market and one therefore does not has the comfort of immediate availability/access and manufacturer warranties, I'd immediately agree. However, to dismiss older glass on the basis that it is not optically good enough, is silly.

Let me make just one remark: If lenses were inadequate for a 36MP K-1 then they would have been inadequate for a 16MP K-5 all along (the smaller sensor places a higher demand on the resolving powers of lenses). Did any of these "experts" ever make that claim for 16MP APS-C sensors?
i totally agree with you Class A i shot on a Canon K35 which a 1970 lens on a red dragon camera a while back ...bit bigger that an APS-C sensor at 6k HD amazing lens ...and i know the guys a cooke know there stuff a bit better than a bloke with youtube channel they have been making lenses since 1894 !!!!!!

what we are looking for is the colour rendition/high light roll off etc out of the old lens we know they're going to be sharp there are few soft russian ones i have come across ...but that really the lens build

when i got the K1 i knew i would have no problem with resolving power with old lens ...and i don't ...it's just strange watching that video

now if i could find a PL mount to k mount adapter ....i think my life would be complete

i,m have far to much fun with this camera :-)
07-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #296
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,715
Original Poster
Tony released his 1 hour K-1 tutorial,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5EFILdtYZw


I think if this was his first K-1 video, he wouldn't have gotten nearly the hate he was getting.
07-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #297
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 985
I don't intend to watch the video. I'm just curious, does he have tutorials for other cameras?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, canon, capability, cif, debate, dslr, f8, full frame, full-frame, iso100, issue, k-1, k1, lens, lenses, light, meter, nikon, northrup k-1, pentax, pentax k-1, people, sekonic, speeds
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tony Northrup currently testing a borrowed K-1! lithedreamer Pentax K-1 1 06-09-2016 04:24 AM
Tony Northrup live youtube stream on K-1 banep Pentax K-1 60 02-23-2016 11:16 AM
Tony Northrup K-S2 Tutorial AndyB Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 3 07-26-2015 07:30 PM
Tony Northrup reviews K-S2 along with competition (although some in higher class) Spodeworld Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 1 05-25-2015 09:58 AM
Pentax K-S2 Review Tony Northrup harrisonww Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 12 05-20-2015 05:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top