Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2016, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Overall the review is fairly accurate. There are three points that I disagree with and those are the lack of lens, portraits shooting and tethering. First, the FA* lens work beautiful on the K-1 and are fairly inexpensive. The FA* 85mm f1.4 is a fantastic portrait lens and renders excellent sharpness and color.

Second, it comes down to style when shooting portraits. Tony by his on admission is a machine gun shoot. He may take 50 shots to get one or 2 good images. Me being a old film shoot were you had a maximum of 36 shots before have to reload and not seeing the image until they were processed you had better get it right before you pushed the shutter. Therefore, I still only use the center focus point and recompose before pressing the shutter all the way down. I could care less if Canon, Nikon and Sony have more focus point. As a matter of fact I sold a Sony A7RII after a 891 shutter actuations because it didn't fit my style when shooting portraits.

Third, I take his comment about tether with a grain of salt. The need to see an instant review on the a big screen in second is just another crutch for shot gun shooters in my opinion. Tethering in Lightroom works for me, but my goal it to do it right before pressing the shutter.

He is 100% accurate about the K-1 and moving objects. It is down right dismal. The frame rate and the buffer is entirely to slow. If I shot action I use my K-3ii. I can fire of 19 raw and jpeg shots with the K-3 and get 19 in focus shot for it. When the Canon 7D Mark II came out all many of the reviews mentioned K-3 as the standard to compare it too. Having never shot with the Nikon D500 I have no point of reference, but I wouldn't trade the K-3ii for the additional cost of the Canon 7D Mark II or Nikon D500.

Bottom line Tony is a Canon shooter. The K-1 doesn't fit his style of shooting for every occasion and that fine, but for my style of shooting the K-1 is the best camera I have ever shot with period.

06-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
He is 100% accurate about the K-1 and moving objects. It is down right dismal. The frame rate and the buffer is entirely to slow. If I shot action I use my K-3ii. I can fire of 19 raw and jpeg shots with the K-3 and get 19 in focus shot for it. When the Canon 7D Mark II came out all many of the reviews mentioned K-3 as the standard to compare it too. Having never shot with the Nikon D500 I have no point of reference, but I wouldn't trade the K-3ii for the additional cost of the Canon 7D Mark II or Nikon D500.
Constructive comment indeed.

Regarding lenses; Tony N. is right ; in the way that you can't commercialize a new camera format based on old second hand lenses, inventory is unknown. How many FA85 1.4 are for sale? If everyone buy the remain stock of FA85, then what do we do? But, the answer should be that Ricoh is working on it; so it will come later (2017?).

Regarding frame rate, given a data transfer technology, it's a trade-off with sensor resolution. The K1 specification seats across all full frame cameras so that to be usable by a broad number of photographers (probably due to the relatively low market share of Pentax). For instance, the 36Mpixels serves two purposes: make the x1.5 crop mode use-able and please landscape and portrait shooters (but this is more of a marketing argument). The downside of it is low frame rate, but that's not much different from a D810. If I was being asked to specify a full frame camera, it would be 24Mpixels, because, 1) if you already have a crop sensor dslr, you don't need a crop mode on the full frame model, 2) if you buy a full frame it's for its high iso capability for when you can't use a tripod, i.e indoor sports, that's also where you need more frame per seconds, and 3) even pro photography does not need 36Mpixels, 24Mpixels is enough. But in the mind of K3 owner; a 24Mpixel K1 wouldn't sound so attractive. The K1 is specified to be different from competition; and to appeal to the irrational desire of the customer base rather than having rational specifications.

Regarding AF; in absolute, the K1 AF works rather well if you are familiar with it. It's about equivalent to a K3's AF, with some weird behavior sometimes (that zill be fixed in the next firmware version, I suppose, I hope so). Although Canon and Nikon AF are more elaborate than Pentax AF, most of the time, the primary issue of Pentax AF is that it lack documentation. It took me a while to figure it out (a Canonian explained me how to set my Pentax AF tracking, and he look at Pentax AF and said the behavior is normal, same as Canon). I did not get the info from Pentax manual.., and still today, I see questions on Pentax forum that show that users don't understand the AF system regardless if it's a Pentax, Canon or Nikon. I can read AF questions on Pentax forum about "what AF mode should I use"; and since the Canon 7DII AF is ten times more complicated than Pentax AF; I don't see how it would work better for them if they used a 7DII or a D500. For the majority of people using center point and recompose, a 7DII or D500 would not make any difference. In order to take advantage of the AF system of a 7DII or D500, you need one week of training to learn how to configure it.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-19-2016 at 06:34 AM.
06-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #33
Pentaxian

In principle, yes, he is correct - one has to study Pentax' lens offering to see if everything needed is there. Well, one could also take the risk of not knowing exactly how the lenses on the roadmap will turn out to be, and when.

However, if you do it, do it fairly. There are several mistakes in that video - the Rokinons, ignoring anything but the current range of Pentax lenses, comparing the Pentax 70-200 with the Tamron. It's easier for us who know the Pentax system.

About the later, Tony N. is convinced its optical performance is behind that of the Canon's, which doesn't fit at all with Ephotozine's glowing review.
06-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
n principle, yes, he is correct - one has to study Pentax' lens offering to see if everything needed is there.
Yes, that's a good advice. And I think he did non mention anything about third party lenses, it's actually better that he did not get into this topic :-)

06-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Oh, he did exactly that - by only including them for Canon.
06-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the end of the day, it remains a biased review.* Either that or he didn't do his homework, which contradicts the opinion that Tony Northrup is a detailed, independent, unbiased reviewer.

* I remember vividly the impassioned thread here - and the video of Tony - begging for a K-1 to review. I hope the OP and supporters contemplate the result.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-19-2016 at 04:23 PM.
06-19-2016, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
but landscape and portrats.. thats where the real thing is for K1.
...and macro, and still life and product photography. Pixel shift is great in these situations. I'm not sure why he pulled the "second hand is cheaper" card. That's true of all new cameras, and it's not like there's a dearth of second-hand K-mount lenses about, albeit the best of them are not cheap. Sure, you can buy a Nikon D810 or Canon 5Ds camera body that someone has beat up, and put 100,000 actuations on the shutter cheaper than a Pentax K-1.... except you can't. I think Tony needs to get to know the K-1 better, and I'm hoping he'll do one of his hour long tutorials on it. He did that for the KS-2, which he really likes. And lets face it, the K-1 is even better!
06-19-2016, 07:19 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surprised at the USB-2 usage. That's going back in time.
  • USB-2 came out in 2000 and has a max transfer rate of 480 Mbit/sec.
  • USB-3 arrived in 2008 with a transfer rate of 5 Gbit/sec.
  • USB-3.1 is now 3 years old. It arrived in 2013. The transfer rate is 10 Gbit/sec.

It's almost like using a flip-phone again.

06-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Only thing I don't get about Tony is just that all he cares is sharpness and correctness of a lens so he's dead set on the notion that non digital optimized lenses aren't worth while. smh
06-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I'm surprised at the USB-2 usage. That's going back in time.
  • USB-2 came out in 2000 and has a max transfer rate of 480 Mbit/sec.
  • USB-3 arrived in 2008 with a transfer rate of 5 Gbit/sec.
  • USB-3.1 is now 3 years old. It arrived in 2013. The transfer rate is 10 Gbit/sec.

It's almost like using a flip-phone again.
Well transferrate with Pentax camera's in the past with USB 2 was very slow. If I recall correct it was around 75 Mbit/s. Maybe the K-1 is different, but maybe not and then transferring a raw image takes 4 seconds. That is after processing and storing in the camera, so you are closing in to 8 seconds after taking a picture to see it on screen. Tony isn't having all that time these days.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 06-19-2016 at 09:58 AM.
06-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Another thing that i dont agree is with his final statement about the K1 fitting Portrait photography.. IMO K1 is a totally perfect tool for portraits, he basically said that he doesnt recomend it because it doenst fit HIS SHOOTING STYLE, that is more into fast movements and high speed burst etc.. but for most portrat photographers that is not the case. K1 is way more into the Yes side than into the No for portraits. Sports, well.. thats another story and we all knwo that perhaps is not the greatest tool for it, but landscape and portrats.. thats where the real thing is for K1.
Kinda depends on what he means by "studio." In a lot of studio settings, powerful strobes are used and typical f-stops are f/8 to f/11. Focus is not a terribly large concern there because the subject can move around once focused and there's no terrible need to refocus all the time.

I did one of those "machine gun" sets. Usually I don't shoot like that, being more reserved and methodical. But the K-1 and 77 were more than up to the task. Shot at about f/4 or so and focus was not my problem, although the camera did put up a fight every now and then. Composing so quickly was the hard part! I think that Tony worries if he fights with the camera at all, his model or client will think badly of him. This has not been my experience. There's always trouble from time to time with the gear. If it fights the whole set, then yes, that's a problem, but if you're fighting with focus because the scene is heavily backlit...well, every camera has trouble there.

But the machine gun sets really only work with the most experienced of models. Few others have the energy or drive or even knowledge of how to contort the body for hours straight to do them. I shoot with a lot of amateur models who have done a fair amount of posing; I don't think they could do machine gunning. And if you're shooting someone who doesn't pose for a living, you can forget that.

So it's also a matter of subject as well as style.

Sports...they really need to stop talking about this. Pentax doesn't really have the lenses for it so the focus tracking is pretty much moot anyway.

And video, well...not every camera is perfect for everything. So it goes. Have to compromise somewhere.
06-19-2016, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well transferrate with Pentax camera's in the past with USB 2 was very slow. If I really correct it was around 75 Mbit/s. Maybe the K-1 is different, but maybe not and then transferring a raw image takes 4 seconds. That is after processing and storing in the camera, so you are closing in to 8 seconds after taking a picture to see it on screen. Tony isn't having all that time these days.
Who does want to spend all that time? If you click the shutter 100 times, thats 800 seconds or more than 13 minutes.

13 minutes is a lot longer than it used to be.
  • My frozen dinner is cooked and on my tray
  • With Amazon "One-Touch" I can max out multiple credit cards
  • It's more than half the content of a 30 minute TV show.
  • I can drive to McDonalds, go through the drive-through, and be in front of the TV with my Big Mac (and fries)
06-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #43

I seem to recall seeing the transfer rate of the K3 on USB3 being much less than the USB2 limit of 480MB/s. It's not the fact the K1 only has USB2 that is the problem. It's transfer speed is much lower than 480MB/s and THAT is the problem.
06-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #44

A fair review! A bit disappointed to see the DFA 70-200 has focus breathing issues.

Although at 36mpx, it's not hard to crop tighter
06-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric4 Quote
A fair review! A bit disappointed to see the DFA 70-200 has focus breathing issues.

Although at 36mpx, it's not hard to crop tighter
Mine finally turns up this Tuesday, along with the 15-30. I'll see how it goes.