Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #46
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have two of them.
Well,now that you know they're not much good for this and that, you can dispose of them at my address. Thanks in advance.

06-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Only thing I don't get about Tony is just that all he cares is sharpness and correctness of a lens so he's dead set on the notion that non digital optimized lenses aren't worth while. smh
i get that vibe from Jared Polin, but never from Tony.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Tony N. is convinced its optical performance is behind that of the Canon's, which doesn't fit at all with Ephotozine's glowing review.
yes its behind, take the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4 its max res on the k1 is about 3000 LW/PH @ f5.6 (as tested by Ephotozine)
the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 on a 5d mark2 hits 3700 LW/PH @ f4 and has much lower chromatic aberrations even from wide open

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
We'll see how DXO Mark test things
they have questionable testing methodologies especially when it comes to dynamic range of a camera
for a more accurate measurement of a cameras performance reviews that use XYLA-21 transmissive test and imatest software results are more representative of a camera actual imaging performance.
06-19-2016, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

Are you saying the D FA* 70-200mm is clearly behind the Canon 70-200 IS II because the FA 50mm f/1.4 obtains a lower resolution score than a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - on different cameras? No offense, but what kind of logic is that?
06-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Camera Store people made a pretty good comment to the effect that it was a pity Tony hadn't been able to try the FA Limiteds, because held much attraction to Pentaxians.

06-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Pretty good although I thought it is a bit rich comparing second hand Nikon / Canon systems to a new K-1 system, yet at the same time complete disregarding the large range of second hand lenses you can use with the K-1.
Also the ultra wide lens options comparison is somewhat inaccurate: the Samyang 14mm is also available on Pentax, and the Tamron 15-30 has some significant differences to the Pentax lens (Pentax has WR and HD coatings).

But the summary is pretty fair, although if you are prepared to invest time in developing technique there seems to be plenty of people using Pentax in studio and even for sport.
I actually would say, there is a ridiculous amount of lenses available for canon in the wide end. Way too much overlap
06-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
The Camera Store people made a pretty good comment to the effect that it was a pity Tony hadn't been able to try the FA Limiteds, because held much attraction to Pentaxians.
The Camera Store people's review of the K-1 was excellent, by the way. They may have even been a little too fair to the camera, to contrast with Tony's review. Their 'action shot' test seemed to go off without problems too, though it simply involved one of the hosts running towards the camera, rather than across the frame.
06-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #52
Pentaxian

tony WHO?

06-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
The Camera Store people's review of the K-1 was excellent, by the way. They may have even been a little too fair to the camera, to contrast with Tony's review. Their 'action shot' test seemed to go off without problems too, though it simply involved one of the hosts running towards the camera, rather than across the frame.
I thought the current criticism of Pentax AF.C went something like, "OK - tracking laterally is acceptable but they still can't keep my dog running toward me in focus."
06-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought the current criticism of Pentax AF.C went something like, "OK - tracking laterally is acceptable but they still can't keep my dog running toward me in focus."
The criticism also often includes the user not driving the camera AF-C to it's full capabilities - by only using centre-spot AF, for example.
06-19-2016, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

In this K1 review, Tony recommends taking a regular photo before shooting a subject using Pixel Shift (especially if there is any wind or subject movement). This is unneccessary because one can extract and save a TIFF file from the first image in a four image Pixel Shift set. Tony obviously was unaware of this capability, which is not surprising given that he's not a Pentax guy (and likely has little if any prior pixel shift experience with the K3ii).
06-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
i get that vibe from Jared Polin, but never from Tony.

yes its behind, take the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4 its max res on the k1 is about 3000 LW/PH @ f5.6 (as tested by Ephotozine)
the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 on a 5d mark2 hits 3700 LW/PH @ f4 and has much lower chromatic aberrations even from wide open

they have questionable testing methodologies especially when it comes to dynamic range of a camera
for a more accurate measurement of a cameras performance reviews that use XYLA-21 transmissive test and imatest software results are more representative of a camera actual imaging performance.
DXO Mark releases tested iso measurements as compared to camera stated isos. So, they measure the D810 to have an iso of 4900 at a stated iso of 6400. Maybe it isn't perfect, but I do look at it. Most manufacturers seem to inflate their isos a little at the high iso end and some do so a lot.
06-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I'm surprised at the USB-2 usage. That's going back in time.
  • USB-2 came out in 2000 and has a max transfer rate of 480 Mbit/sec.
  • USB-3 arrived in 2008 with a transfer rate of 5 Gbit/sec.
  • USB-3.1 is now 3 years old. It arrived in 2013. The transfer rate is 10 Gbit/sec.

It's almost like using a flip-phone again.
Seeing as the camera supports UHS-I with bus speeds up to 104 MB (832 Mb) per second 3.1 would be overkill. USB 2 would only theoretically utilize 57% of available card speed. You could also use a UHS-II card, they are backwards compatible with UHS-I, and pop it in a USB 3.0 card reader for faster transfer speeds.
06-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #58
Veteran Member

After this review i want one more k1.
06-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Overall, I like his reviews including this one. He looks for weak points and then dives into them. He properly points out the K-1 offers pixel shift and Wi-Fi that aren't in the competing Canon and Nikon bodies. Then he goes in to point out limitations in Pentax's implementation of those features.

There's already a note below the video to clarify lens availability. At the 2:20 mark he shows the Pentax 15-30 then rattles off 12 wide angle lenses for Canon. The review implies that the 15-30 is the *only* wide angle k-mount choice but 2 of the Canon lenses he showed, the Rokinon 8mm and 14mm, are available for k-mount.
06-19-2016, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
tony WHO?

Yep.

Tony's a fine basic photographer (I have one of his books, also featuring his watchable wife), and a basic reviewer at best.

I wouldn't be using him for anything more than rudimentary information, but, hey, the bulk of the Canikon YouTube crowd are at that level.

Money and hit-wise, that works for him.