Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tony Northrup - K-1 Review

A little harsh, but not totally unfair (except comparing weathersealed Pentax lenses to [unsealed?] Tamron lenses).

Edit: Update video.

Last edited by lithedreamer; 06-28-2016 at 09:49 AM.
06-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh..too funny! @4:44 - exactly!!!! Total creep factor with Matt.
06-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty good although I thought it is a bit rich comparing second hand Nikon / Canon systems to a new K-1 system, yet at the same time complete disregarding the large range of second hand lenses you can use with the K-1.
Also the ultra wide lens options comparison is somewhat inaccurate: the Samyang 14mm is also available on Pentax, and the Tamron 15-30 has some significant differences to the Pentax lens (Pentax has WR and HD coatings).

But the summary is pretty fair, although if you are prepared to invest time in developing technique there seems to be plenty of people using Pentax in studio and even for sport.
06-18-2016, 05:09 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought that it was critical, even handed and fair. I don't have one, but it's in consideration. To be fair, the following really needs to be addressed - and for the most part, it's low hanging fruit.
  • USB - the K3 had v3. Pentax should just go with v3 for all of the top of the line bodies, leaving v2 for the lower tier. This would have been really easy. I am kind of thinking that with all the other power sinks (GPS, WiFi, ...) that having this might have lowered their battery life.
  • Tethering - this has been going on for years now (k7, k5, k5II, k5iis, k30, k50, k-s1, k-s2, k-01, 645D, 645Z), since they removed their tethering utility after the K20. Pentax keeps handling the tethering issue poorly. Just go find a third party that will do it correctly, and license it. It is not that difficult. Done well this should be a plus. Just do it.
  • WiFi - again, if you are going to have WiFi on the body, go find some folks who do wifi apps right and license their software. To be fair, who ever did the smart phone app, probably did not have any real experience in doing this type of software and it puts Pentax in a very poor light for their new camera body. This is just another form of tethering essentially. Done well, this should be a plus.
On the lens comparison - the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/el.al. lenses were counted on the Nikon side, and should have been counted with Pentax as well. But, the criticism was fair.

Overall, the USB v3 (speed wise) should have been in the body. Everything else is off body running on external hardware. Just go out and find better app ware and fix it - taking the problem off the table. Pentax took an additional 6 months to a year in bringing the body to market. The "marketing" department, did not use this time wisely. There is always a missed opportunity on their plate.

06-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Tethering - this has been going on for years now
I haven't watched the Tony video (limited connection available atm), but did he mention the three currently available K-1 tethering options:

- the free Lightroom plugin,
- the Image Transmitter 2 software, and
- the Image Sync mobile/wireless app?

The K-1 tethering options seem pretty decent.
06-18-2016, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I haven't watched the Tony video (limited connection available atm), but did he mention the three currently available K-1 tethering options:

- the free Lightroom plugin,
- the Image Transmitter 2 software, and
- the Image Sync mobile/wireless app?

The K-1 tethering options seem pretty decent.
In short, he said:

• The Image Sync app sucks, but comparable Nikon/Canon cameras don't offer wifi at all and he used it a bunch (something is better than nothing).
  • Tethering to a computer is far too slow because the K-1 uses a USB 2 connection, when it should be USB 3.
06-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
In short, he said:
Thanks!

Agree with USB3. I always thought it strange to have it there in the K-3, but not in the K-1.

06-18-2016, 05:59 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
hmm, well now after that review, the K1 sounds like a pretty lousy camera. I still want one, lol.
06-18-2016, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I also thought it was a bit funny, that Tony compared used...and left out how much used Pentax FF glass there is.
The K1 comes out of the gate with the stellar trinity zooms, and the limiteds.
IS there anything else?
I also find it funny that people are not *getting* the whole crop mode that is awesome on the K1.
FF bigotry is alive and well, even on a camera that has an APS-C mode!
06-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-1 is en route to my house from BH and no I ain't gonna watch no K-1 review videos this weekend. 🐓
06-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I recall a RICOH answering why the USB2.. It was because the K-1 development started before there was USB3. FF has been in development a long time.
06-18-2016, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
K-1 development started before there was USB3.
USB 3 in these 36MP full-frame cameras has a mixed history.

Nikon's D800/D810 have USB 3. But Sony's 36MP A7R doesn't, and even the newer 42MP A7RII still only has USB 2. So people seem to be able to live with it.
06-18-2016, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well now after that review, the K1 sounds like a pretty lousy camera. I still want one
I have two of them.
06-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the impression he was a bit conflicted about the K-1, given the number of times he used the "but" word, and that's understandable, having come from a different viewpoint. He's used to working with cameras that have moulded his shooting style, as much as they've allowed him to shoot in particular ways. I haven't tried shooting the K-1 with action sequences, yet, but I understand the hardware limitations of the K-1 will make it more difficult to get what you want in that case, so the criticism there is probably fair enough.

I don't agree with his dismissal of the Image Sync app, on the grounds that you can't get the image in landscape orientation (that's the first specific thing he mentioned) and the ability to upload is hopeless (wrong, IMHO, as I found it comparatively easy after I realised the iOS version won't upload RAW). I've tried it, and it feels smoother to use than the web browser solution on the K-3 with FLUcard (and you could reorient your phone or tablet with that, so why no one thought that was important enough to include in Image Sync is a little baffling). I think his confliction showed most here, when he conceded that the K-1 at least had wifi, while the others didn't, but why frame it as a concession, rather than a positive?

As for the purported difference USB3 would have made, versus USB2, I couldn't say, as I haven't used it, and I'm unlikely to use it with the Pentax tethering software, so long as the software price is as high as it is. That's a threshold issue. I don't download images with the USB port.

I agree with the remarks others have made about the inadequacy of his lens comparisons. The Rokinon/Samyang/whatever 14/2.8 is also available in K-mount, for example. If I had to seriously criticise anything about this review, that's the area where I'd say his analysis severely lacked research. It really made the review look contrived to minimise the value proposition, even though I don't believe that was his intention.

I think the grudging tone of the review, though, was the thing that grated most with me, because the conclusion that the K-1 was the best landscape camera became a bit lost in it.
06-18-2016, 09:59 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
given the number of times he used the "but" word
In my experience, when someone uses the word "but" it means they have stopped listening.