Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Maybe some people don't understand all the Pixelshift options. The way it works is that you can choose in post whether you want to use
- the regular shot
- the pixelshift shot
- the pixelshift motion corrected shot

No need to make an additional safe-shot. Silkypix 7 isn't the official Pentax software. I've tried it and it didn't work properly with PS images. The official and proper tool is DCU 5. Well, it has an awful UI, but the image quality is Excellent and on par with Capture One. + You get Diffraction correction which is noticable similar to PS. (Using DCU makes quite a difference in IQ.)

I don't have LR (I use Capture One) but it seems like it doesn't support all these features just like Silkypix. It's unfortunate that this leads to misunderstandings.
Exactly. With DCU, there is a drop down menu that lets you choose the three options you have listed. Just choose a Motion Corrected shot and also a regular shot and you will have both a pixel shifted shot and the first image of the four in your pixel shift raw file.

06-20-2016, 08:58 AM - 3 Likes   #77

Photos: Albums
I have to say i did a great deal of research before buying the K1 and i come from a moving image back ground ...so i know abit about sensors and lens..to say the least ....my normal camera is a RED or an arri

Anyway in that journey i came across tony's videos a few times .they are great and all that but ..there is abit of tone in that video

and what if find amusing is the thing that he perceived as a problem lack of lens was the thing that pushed me over the line to buy a Pentax for the first time ......was the huge amount of old FF glass out there

for year we have been finding ways to mod old glass with adapters onto cinema cameras ...why .....it's the look they give it organic and not razor blade sharp and unreal....and now i can stick it on a stills camera really really easily ...lovely

I,m very new here but i will say this Pentax have done you Pentax guys/gals proud .. the K1 that is fantastic camera ....i haven't had so much fun with camera in years

i so nearly bought a Nikon ....and i,m so glad i did,t

what is the holy Trinity Btw ......that should be 18,25,35,50 and the 85mm @ T1.5 .......and thats 5 all prime ha! ......just kidding

I,m now off to hunt down some medium format glass and try my luck
06-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gnugent Quote
what is the holy Trinity Btw
The Holy Trinity is UWA, wide-short tele and short to mid-tele zooms, all with constant f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. Nikon's is, IIRC, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200; Pentax's is 15-30, 24-70, 70-200. I might be a teensy bit off on the exact focal lengths of the two wide NIkons, but you get the picture.
06-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The Holy Trinity is UWA, wide-short tele and short to mid-tele zooms, all with constant f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. Nikon's is, IIRC, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200; Pentax's is 15-30, 24-70, 70-200. I might be a teensy bit off on the exact focal lengths of the two wide NIkons, but you get the picture.
OR it's the FA 31/43/77.

06-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
OR it's the FA 31/43/77.
That's the three amigos. Apparently they're only friendly, not holy :-)
06-20-2016, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
OR it's the FA 31/43/77.
Close

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
That's the three amigos. Apparently they're only friendly, not holy :-)
Insult!!!. The Three Amigos is 3 over-the-hill slapstick comedians making a bad parody of a decent derivative movie (The Professionals) referencing The Seven Samurai.

You meant to say the Three Princesses. (Japanese Imperial referenced intended).
06-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Close

Insult!!!. The Three Amigos is 3 over-the-hill slapstick comedians making a bad parody of a decent derivative movie (The Professionals) referencing The Seven Samurai.

You meant to say the Three Princesses. (Japanese Imperial referenced intended).
Yes, those 3 lenses are known as "the 3 Princesses" in the oriental culture, only referred to as "the 3 Amigos" in North America (Western) culture.

06-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #83
Pentaxian

The Three Degrees 60, 45 and 26
06-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think he speaks without knowledge, except for the part that ISO between camera makes is not consistent. What piqued my curiosity is what he meant by not complying with ISO spec.
Much is made about ISO standards for sensor sensitivity, compliance, "cheating" and evaluation. The Wikipedia includes a good discussion of the current standard (dated 2006, confirmed as a standard, 2015) and how it relates to ISO film speed. Here are a few talking points:
  • The standard is ISO 12232:2006. It may downloaded from HERE, but is not free (88 CHF)
  • The standard(s) are based on full system output to an image file (not RAW)
  • Several different techniques may be used by manufacturers and need not be the same technique for each point in the ISO range. These may be summarized as follows (the first two are new as of 2006):
    • Recommended Exposure Index (REI): Arbitrary standard based on the manufacturer's best guess of what constitutes acceptable output.
    • Standard Output Sensitivity (SOS): Based on pixel values for 18% gray on sRGB output.* This one is similar to the method for film speed.
    • Saturation-based (SAT or Ssat): Similar to SOS, but with the basis being 100% white. Again the measured output is limited to sRGB.
    • Noise-based: Subjective evaluation of image quality at two S/N points (40:1 and 10:1)
  • In practice, manufacturers may use a mix of the above techniques. The standard defines weighting and reporting for those cases. The Wikipedia article gives a few examples.
  • We call it ISO, but CIPA procedures bind implementations by Japanese makers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed#Digital_camera_ISO_speed_and_exposure_index

How any of the above relates to camera reviews and comparison between brands is questionable.** Two camera models may be fully standards compliant and yet exhibit quite different image characteristics at a particular "speed" setting. Near as I can tell, the best we might expect is a stop-wise linear progression in sensitivity along with reasonable results for a metered exposure. Expectation of equivalent assignment of "speed" to histogram results and expected quality between cameras is a pipe dream.

* My K-3 consistently reports this method for its full ISO range.

** FWIW, DxO Mark uses none of the ISO standard methods in their evaluation, though there is merit to their approach.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-21-2016 at 01:40 PM.
06-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Yes, those 3 lenses are known as "the 3 Princesses" in the oriental culture, only referred to as "the 3 Amigos" in North America (Western) culture.
Ah. So if I, a Westerner, insist on addressing them as Princesses, am I guilty of cultural appropriation?
06-21-2016, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ah. So if I, a Westerner, insist on addressing them as Princesses, am I guilty of cultural appropriation?
Only if you say it in Japanese...
06-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gnugent Quote
I have to say i did a great deal of research before buying the K1 ...
Anyway in that journey i came across tony's videos a few times

I think you did more research than Tony.

I never think of him as being an entertaining presenter, but there's a moment in that video where he's shooting a picture of a bare-breasted statue and he says back to the camera: "I'm Matt Granger".

It was good, and surprising. Probably good because it was surprising.
06-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #88
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It was good, and surprising. Probably good because it was surprising.
...and also typical of Grainger's work...

Steve
06-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
15, 21, 35, 40, 55, 70, 100

Cheers... M
Well hit, sir.
06-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter