Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2016, 03:15 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Full-frame Samurai:

20, 31, 43, 50, 55, 77, 100?
Which fifty? D-FA Macro? FA50/1.4? Or one of the manual focus 50/1.2's?

---------- Post added 22-06-16 at 07:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
15, 21, 35, 40, 55, 70, 100

Cheers... M
It surprised me pleasantly to realise that I have six (not the 55*). If of course by 100 you mean the D-FA100 WR macro...

06-22-2016, 03:55 AM   #92
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and also typical of Grainger's work...

Steve
One thing about Granger is that he's not hostile to Pentax. He really liked the 645Z IIRC.

06-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Which fifty? D-FA Macro? FA50/1.4? Or one of the manual focus 50/1.2's?

---------- Post added 22-06-16 at 07:47 ----------
I couldn't decide, so I left that choice purposefully ambiguous.
06-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Yes, those 3 lenses are known as "the 3 Princesses" in the oriental culture, only referred to as "the 3 Amigos" in North America (Western) culture.
hope they aren't refer to the 3 stooges in other places LOL

06-23-2016, 01:46 AM   #95

With alll the rave about the K-1 I've been reading all over the net, including DP Review and such I find it difficult to belive that "it can be recommended just for landscapes" and not for other stuff like portraits or similar stuff...
06-23-2016, 02:11 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I find it difficult to belive that "it can be recommended just for landscapes" and not for other stuff like portraits or similar stuff...
And macro and still life. It's also a cracking camera for portraits too. The problem I think, is that Tony just isn't used to the K-1. Many photographers, Tony included, rely on the camera to do a lot of the work for them, including focusing. One only has to look at the photos on this forum to see that the K-1 is capable of all types of photography in experienced hands. I know from personal experience with a Nikon D810 that hitting focus with narrow depths of field can be quite difficult even with its so-called "superior" autofocus system.
06-23-2016, 04:22 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
With alll the rave about the K-1 I've been reading all over the net, including DP Review and such I find it difficult to belive that "it can be recommended just for landscapes" and not for other stuff like portraits or similar stuff...
My only gripe is the concentration of all of the focussing points near the centre. That is the reason I got rid of my Nikon 610 as well. When you shoot fashion and have to do so quickly especially on location, you want the upper focus points to be able to come as closely as possible to the eye, without having to focus and re-frame. Especially if shooting wide open where focus accuracy is vital. When moving the camera to reframe you loose that accuracy, thus why I think Tony made that observation. Of course if you are using a plus 200 mm to 400mm lens if you are on the same plane as the model, you do have a good chance of focussing accurately.

06-23-2016, 04:45 AM   #98
Pentaxian

the focus area coverage is mainly caused by the camera being full frame. It's inherent. Just not enough space for a larger secondary mirror for AF. Pentax coming from APS-c also doesn't help. Ricoh has file a patent with a concave secondary mirror that can possibly widen the af area. I had hoped it would be in the K-1. Something for the future perhaps.
06-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Ricoh has file a patent with a concave secondary mirror that can possibly widen the af area. I had hoped it would be in the K-1.
Sooner or later, you have to freeze the design or the thing never gets built. I have a very interesting book about German ultra-long-range bomber projects during WW2, and the one thing that becomes obvious about a lot of the proposals was that the specification was constantly being changed to ask for more performance, or new things were asked to be added in - so airplanes were constantly getting redesigned, but never built (certainly not in production numbers). The best became the enemy of good enough, and eventually the whole programme was overtaken by events. Getting back to photography, the K-1 was delayed enough as it was; to keep it an absolute secret to work on it at leisure would have been impossible, and to delay any longer in producing it would have been unacceptable.
06-23-2016, 06:19 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
My only gripe is the concentration of all of the focussing points near the centre. That is the reason I got rid of my Nikon 610 as well. When you shoot fashion and have to do so quickly especially on location, you want the upper focus points to be able to come as closely as possible to the eye, without having to focus and re-frame. Especially if shooting wide open where focus accuracy is vital. When moving the camera to reframe you loose that accuracy, thus why I think Tony made that observation. Of course if you are using a plus 200 mm to 400mm lens if you are on the same plane as the model, you do have a good chance of focussing accurately.
A valid gripe, of course.
The K-1 should be clearly better than the D610, perhaps equal with the D750 and with slightly less coverage than the D810. That, if we count non-cross type AF points, too. Otherwise, even the D810 has a mere 15 AF points covering just the center
But DSLR makers should improve on this, if they want to stay competitive.

Perhaps a future model will have significantly better AF coverage, as we see Ricoh/Pentax are thinking of solutions. For the first DSLR - one that offers a lot for less than 2000 euro, and had to be postponed a few months - it would've been too much.
06-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-1 should be clearly better than the D610, perhaps equal with the D750 and with slightly less coverage than the D810
now that i think about it the K-1 is better if you consider the crop mode and da lenses, the af points would cover most of the frame maybe?
06-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
now that i think about it the K-1 is better if you consider the crop mode and da lenses, the af points would cover most of the frame maybe?
I don't think so. I think the K-1 has the same auto focus module as is in the K3, but with more points between the points that are there on the K3.
06-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #103
Pentaxian

That's incorrect; the K-1 has the newly developed SAFOX 12 modules. It's using the same sensor as K-3's SAFOX XI, but with completely revised optics (the optical path is longer, they added a mirror for that).
In effect, "its autofocus area is approximately 40 percent wider than a conventional AF frame" (and there are 6 more AF points, and who knows what other effects not immediately seen in the specs list).
You can clearly see how it covers the APS-C frame better than the K-3:

OTOH, the only FF DSLR covering most of the crop frame is, AFAIK, the D5. The 1DxMkII should be comparable, but it doesn't support EF-S lenses.

Last edited by Kunzite; 06-23-2016 at 12:33 PM.
06-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think so. I think the K-1 has the same auto focus module as is in the K3, but with more points between the points that are there on the K3.
i think you missed my point
Attached Images

06-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's incorrect; the K-1 has the newly developed SAFOX 12 modules. It's using the same sensor as K-3's SAFOX XI, but with completely revised optics (the optical path is longer, they added a mirror for that).
In effect, "its autofocus area is approximately 40 percent wider than a conventional AF frame" (and there are 6 more AF points, and who knows what other effects not immediately seen in the specs list).
You can clearly see how it covers the APS-C frame better than the K-3:

OTOH, the only FF DSLR covering most of the crop frame is, AFAIK, the D5. The 1DxMkII should be comparable, but it doesn't support EF-S lenses.
Indeed, Ricoh claims they had to redesign the module due to the above mentioned longer optical paths as well as less room due to the larger mirror box.

Features5 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING