Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #106
Banned

It's interesting how two (relatively) accurate reviews of the K1 can either come across as:

a) Glowing and enthusiastic (TheCameraStoreTV); or
b) Not-so-glowing / and rather un-enthused (Tony).

Sure, the camera store are enthusiastic about everything, because they want to sell stuff. But they're still fair and accurate in their appraisal, and mention the negatives as well as the positives.

Maybe that's why you don't get test model's Tony me-old-mate.

06-23-2016, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #107

Huh? Tony Northrup gave a enthusiastic reviews of the K-S2 which he rates as one of the best in its class. He's always been Pentax friendly with his other reviews. I think he was a little miffed that Ricoh didn't send him a review camera.

06-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think he was a little miffed that Ricoh didn't send him a review camera.
Miffed? He openly begged for one on his Pre-View.

No class.
06-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #109
Banned

Maybe he was...

It's still interesting to see the contrast.

Edit: I just watched Tony's comparison of the KS2 with the Cannons and Nikon, and I don't think that was particularly glowing either. Certainly not reason for Pentax/Ricoh to think "let's send this guy more test models"

Last edited by Poit; 06-23-2016 at 07:32 PM.
06-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #110
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
In effect, "its autofocus area is approximately 40 percent wider than a conventional AF frame" (and there are 6 more AF points, and who knows what other effects not immediately seen in the specs list).
You can clearly see how it covers the APS-C frame better than the K-3:
You are so correct...and that is very cool

Steve
06-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #111
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Another thing that i dont agree is with his final statement about the K1 fitting Portrait photography.. IMO K1 is a totally perfect tool for portraits, he basically said that he doesnt recomend it because it doenst fit HIS SHOOTING STYLE, that is more into fast movements and high speed burst etc.. but for most portrat photographers that is not the case. K1 is way more into the Yes side than into the No for portraits. Sports, well.. thats another story and we all knwo that perhaps is not the greatest tool for it, but landscape and portrats.. thats where the real thing is for K1.
I agree. For portraits the K-1 is a great camera. My best portrait lens for the K-1 is the Rokinon 135mm f2, a manual focus lens. When taking portraits with a manual focus lens, you take more time composing, lighting, talking to the model, to get the best shot. Yes, sometimes candid shots between poses can be good shots but 99% of my best shots are well planned and methodical.
06-23-2016, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #112
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
One thing about Granger is that he's not hostile to Pentax. He really liked the 645Z IIRC.
I disagree, he compares the 645z to the Nikon D810 in image quality and says (for the price) the D810 is better value.

There's a reason Granger used to call himself "That Nikon Guy" on his videos. He is to Nikon what Tony Northrup is to Canon.

We need a Pentax-centric 'independent' Youtube camera reviewer....

06-24-2016, 03:57 AM   #113
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I disagree, he compares the 645z to the Nikon D810 in image quality and says (for the price) the D810 is better value.
Well, here's his review in its entirety:

I like the way you think, Poit, but we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for that to happen!
06-24-2016, 04:07 AM   #114
Pentaxian

Subtext: one with heavy commercial and online clout. Photouniverse and David Hancock are excellent (Ed was pretty much the one who sold me on the K-5 and all the Limited DA primes), but with all due respect to them, they aren't in the same league of popularity and influence as Granger and the Northrups. I've seen a few of Blunty's Pentax reviews (digidirect), and he seems to be pretty fair and sometimes more than even handed when he's reviewed Pentax gear (he really seemed to enjoy the small-format compacts, for example), but he reviews across the board and isn't a Pentaxian per se.
06-24-2016, 04:54 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Photouniverse is Fuji's.
06-24-2016, 05:01 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't take that photouniverse guy seriously. He used to be a totally biased Pentax fanboy, but at some point he got pissed of at Pentax and flip flopped.
06-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't take that photouniverse guy seriously. He used to be a totally biased Pentax fanboy, but at some point he got pissed of at Pentax and flip flopped.
Yeah, I know, he's gone to the Dark Side (or one of them, anyway) - but back in the day he was singing Pentax's praises like no other.
06-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Regarding that wide angle lens selection comparison, somebody should make a jpeg meme with Tony ballony version on one side and reality on the other, and spread this on the net.
06-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #119

I bet if someone like Jared Polin (the Fro Knows Photo) made a review of the K1 it would sell like crazy.
The guy is a bit fatiguing to follow at times due to his super emphatic tone and presence, but adimttedly, he knows how to sell stuff...but he only caters to Nikon and Canon with some very rare Sony appearance...
06-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Jared Polin was dismissive of Pentax. He would do the same with the K-1, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

---------- Post added 24-06-16 at 06:45 PM ----------

By the way, do you really think such a review would make the K-1 "sell like crazy"? Ricoh can't supply for the actual demand.