Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #121

had the K-1 since it went out in stores in France.
Almost 20,000 actuations now.
Tony N's review is bad. Like BAD. really really bad. He's just selling Canon.
One of the worst camera reviews i've ever watched.
Same was his 645Z one.

Only thing i agree with, for users that do studio work with the K-1, USB2 for huge files is a complete fail. I don't use it for studio often. So i don't care.

How comes suchs bad reviews have so many views & comments on youtube?

06-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I bet if someone like Jared Polin (the Fro Knows Photo) made a review of the K1 it would sell like crazy.
The guy is a bit fatiguing to follow at times due to his super emphatic tone and presence
fatiguing is an understatement the best way to watch his videos is to mute the sound turn subtitles on and play the soundtrack of any action movie to ensure you wont dose off before the video ends, you cant really skip forward in his videos as his review style/format is very compressed, but you gotta give jared kudos as he puts alot of effort into his reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
It's interesting how two (relatively) accurate reviews of the K1 can either come across as:

a) Glowing and enthusiastic (TheCameraStoreTV); or
b) Not-so-glowing / and rather un-enthused (Tony).
I love TheCameraStoreTV the review style is lite but entertaining.
and i only watch tony&chelsea live cause chelsea (and sometimes tony) normally have a few drinks before the show so shes always a bit tipsy so some of her comments are so ramdom (facepalm worthy) its hilarious. I've never really like the way tony does his reviews as he has to much opinions.
06-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
fatiguing is an understatement the best way to watch his videos is to mute the sound turn subtitles on and play the soundtrack of any action movie to ensure you wont dose off before the video ends, you cant really skip forward in his videos as his review style/format is very compressed, but you gotta give jared kudos as he puts alot of effort into his reviews.

I love TheCameraStoreTV the review style is lite but entertaining.
and i only watch tony&chelsea live cause chelsea (and sometimes tony) normally have a few drinks before the show so shes always a bit tipsy so some of her comments are so ramdom (facepalm worthy) its hilarious. I've never really like the way tony does his reviews as he has to much opinions.
Fro is so full of himself that it is just hard to watch.
Chelsea drinking? I guess that would explain a couple of strange moments, lol
06-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Chelsea drinking? I guess that would explain a couple of strange moments, lol
LOL

06-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #125
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't take that photouniverse guy seriously. He used to be a totally biased Pentax fanboy, but at some point he got pissed of at Pentax and flip flopped.
He is a member here. Perhaps he will drop in

Steve
06-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #126
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote

Only thing i agree with, for users that do studio work with the K-1, USB2 for huge files is a complete fail.
But aren't all SD cards only capable of less than the USB2 bus speed any way?

I never understood that from Northrup either.

06-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #127
Veteran Member

No

The fastest SDXC cards have up to 280 Mbyte/s read speed from card
USB 2.0 are in theory 480 Mbit/s, but are in practice limited to 280 Mbit/s or 35 Mbyte/s. So the the fastest SDXC cards outperform USB2 by a factor of 8.

Anyway, I think his complaint are about write speed (to the card), but the fastest SD are enough for the speed the K-1 sensor can deliver.

4,4 images per second * 50 MB raw files = 220 MByte/s
With pixel shift the files are said to be up to 190 MByte, but the PS sequence takes about 1 second so that should mean 190 MByte/s

Nikon D5 delivers 45 MB raw files at a rate of up to 14 per second (without AF). That is 630 MB/s. So if Pentax want to deliver something similar, they also have to think of another card type to deal with it.

Edit: If you have a full 64 GB 280/250 MB/s card and try to transfer all through a 35 MB/s USB2 cable it will take half an hour (30,5 minutes). Transfer through USB3 at 200 MB/s (practical. Theory is 625 MB/s) will take 5 minutes and 20 seconds.

Last edited by Simen1; 06-24-2016 at 03:44 PM.
06-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But aren't all SD cards only capable of less than the USB2 bus speed any way?

I never understood that from Northrup either.
Good question! thanks for asking because now i think Northrup is wrong on this too ! and me too!

USB 2 max transfer speed is somewhere around 55 to 60 MB/S
The SDXC UHS-I 3 cards i got in the K-1 read somewhere around 85 to 95 MB/S

so you loose something like 30MB/S . Theoretically, with a USB 3... in 10 seconds you could gain 300MB of data transfered.

When studio working, sometimes on stage the DA (directeur artistique? what's the term in eng) looks at more than 10 pics of the same shooting lapse at the same time, he needs to compare. OK.

But there are 2 SD slots in the K1. So it's enough to save 'em in JPG for the shooting crew to watch the live session on the second SD card and keep the raw files separate. They don't need to see the 40MB RAW file.
a maximum 6MB JPG is enough.
So ,10 pics, max 60MB, almost equals USB2 transfer speed.

Thanks again for your question ! Damn, this K-1 is so perfect !
06-24-2016, 03:17 PM - 5 Likes   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
He is a member here. Perhaps he will drop in

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the invite!

So to set the record straight, I have continuously had multiples of K5/5IIs/3/3II of some kind or another since 2012. I have tried many other cameras (when I do it people think I'm crazy, when Tony Northrup buys and sells even 20K medium format systems he's cool. What's up with that? )

So you could say the Pentax APS-c system has always been my "fall back" system. And quite frankly in June of 2016, I have not found a camera or camera system that has actually measured up to what the Pentax APS-c cameras are, can do, and value they represent. The APS-c Pentax cameras and system is so good, I even don't have a need for a K1. That's actually personally depressing, because I really want one!

Since February 2016, I have been trying to get the Fuji cameras in line, but after the past couple of weddings, I'm back to the K5IIs and K3II. Fuji is 20 years behind the flash curve and life is too short to fight that every weekend at a wedding.

My current wedding rig is a K3II with HD15/21/35m/70 LTD's, Metz AF-52 on a stroboframe quickflip 35 bracket and the excellent Vello TTL cord from B&H for $15. The wife uses the K5IIs with 18-55 WR or Tamron 17-50 2.8, and a Pentax 360 flash on Strobo bracket, and we both occasionally use the 55-300HD, and Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fish.

For landscapes I'm using the K3II with Pixel Shift and the LTD's.

I have not made any videos lately because I really don't think people are interested in me telling them how they don't need a K1 as much as they may want one... Though I may do one on why Fuji is not ready for prime time wedding photography with flash and how the Pentax APS-c system is great for that.

My take away from Tony's review was that the quick dial and tilty screen on the K1 may be good things. I found that interesting, because I was sort of not impressed by either, though I had never used them. So now I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. The price comparisons were useless. I was surprised the K1 had USB 2 only, as the K3 and K3II have USB 3. Kinda weird. Everything else he said was not news to any Pentax user and things we have already accepted.

Kai from Digital rev had some interesting points as well. The bloaty suit was interesting. Almost like he was suggesting the K1 should have been mirrorless... which is a thought. And I think people heard the negative things he said, but didn't realize that he was actually enjoying shooting the FA LTD's on a native Pentax FF. And I think that was the main message: It's a great camera if you love Pentax and the different way Pentax does things.

Last edited by Qwntm; 06-24-2016 at 03:25 PM.
06-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I even don't have a need for a K1
Yes you do, you just haven't realized yet (or maybe it's a cash issue), It's what every true pentaxian has been waiting for the past 10 years.
06-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes you do, you just haven't realized yet (or maybe it's a cash issue), It's what every true pentaxian has been waiting for the past 10 years.
We're back at the need/want interface again. Barring the difference in USB speeds (which I haven't found to be an issue for me) the leap from my K-3 to the K-1 is significant, regardless of the sensor size. Having their original FoV restored to my non-APS-C lens collection is nice, even great at the wider end, but the K-1 shifts the bar in terms of performance, otherwise. I didn't actually need the increase in AF capability or the improvement in write speeds or the brighter viewfinder (with better eye relief capability), or the host of other things that just make it an easier and more pleasing camera to use (except for the LV button placement, but I'll get over that).

So, my purchase falls more on the "want" side. Others have pointed out the tenuous nature of the FF-just-does-it-better argument, in other threads. Whether "easier" or "more pleasing" allows me to become a better photographer remains to be seen, but a sprinter can always cover the same distance faster than a hurdler.
06-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote
Good question! thanks for asking because now i think Northrup is wrong on this too ! and me too!

USB 2 max transfer speed is somewhere around 55 to 60 MB/S
The SDXC UHS-I 3 cards i got in the K-1 read somewhere around 85 to 95 MB/S
The USB2 port itself is capable of 480MB/s.

I think the issue with the interface is overrated when we realize the SD cards themselves can't get to those speeds.

06-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The USB2 port itself is capable of 480MB/s
It's Mbps (factor 8 to 10) slower. When you don't want to wait, get a good usb 3.0 card reader.
06-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
We're back at the need/want interface again. Barring the difference in USB speeds (which I haven't found to be an issue for me) the leap from my K-3 to the K-1 is significant, regardless of the sensor size. Having their original FoV restored to my non-APS-C lens collection is nice, even great at the wider end, but the K-1 shifts the bar in terms of performance, otherwise. I didn't actually need the increase in AF capability or the improvement in write speeds or the brighter viewfinder (with better eye relief capability), or the host of other things that just make it an easier and more pleasing camera to use (except for the LV button placement, but I'll get over that).

So, my purchase falls more on the "want" side. Others have pointed out the tenuous nature of the FF-just-does-it-better argument, in other threads. Whether "easier" or "more pleasing" allows me to become a better photographer remains to be seen, but a sprinter can always cover the same distance faster than a hurdler.

The K1 is a step backwards for me with my HD LTD lenses.

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 05:59 PM ----------

If I needed it I would still be shooting the D810's I had... Better AF, Better lens selection, Better flash, Better FPS... Just sayin'

I still want a K1 though.
06-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #135
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It's Mbps (factor 8 to 10) slower.
You are of course, right, D1N0 ... but again, don't people report with the K-3 they don't even get 60MB/s?

There's always a bottleneck.