Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If he is ill informed, Pentax has not raised a finger help that situation.

Regardless of your opinion of the guy he along with Matt Grainger and possibly Jared Polin have the greatest audiences on YouTube. And Pentax has not supplied a valuation copy to any of them despite them all asking for it. We should be thankful he was able to get his hands on one at all. And he clearly took some time to get the camera out in its element to test it the best he could with borrowed equipment from one of his viewers in the limited time he would've had.

There are so many things Pentax don't do as far as marketing. And we accept their position in the market allows that. But not getting it out to be reviewed by the major reviewers is a huge mistake.

07-02-2016, 04:53 AM   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Pentax has not raised a finger help that situation
Nor Should they.
07-02-2016, 04:59 AM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Nor Should they.
They're apparently making as many K-1's a day as is physically possible and still running 2 months behind demand.

Without lifting a finger to help Tony Northrup.

If any of my posts in this thread warrant a call out - all I've criticized is the on-camera demand to have a production K-1 supplied for testing - I'm not sympathetic. By so doing he openly belittled and denigrated Pentax, knowingly or not, in a video with orders of magnitude more reach than little old PentaxForums.

He (and his wife) earns his living selling clicks on his videos. He is therefore not a disinterested observer. He unintentionally gave us a peek behind the curtain and he confirmed it with the follow-up

Last edited by monochrome; 07-02-2016 at 06:23 AM.
07-02-2016, 05:02 AM   #274
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Nor Should they.
Of course they should. YouTube reviews sell cameras, period. You can't deny it.

In fact, if the manufacturers treated the reviewers with more respect then they (reviewer) would be more likely to learn and comment positively.

In the current state of play, the reviewer owes them nothing so they do whatever they want.

Camera manufacturers need to get with the 21st century.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-21-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Removed vulgarity
07-02-2016, 05:02 AM   #275
Pentaxian

Only 2 months?
07-02-2016, 05:15 AM   #276
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Of course they should. YouTube reviews sell cameras, period. You can't deny it.

In fact, if the manufacturers treated the reviewers with more respect then they (reviewer) would be more likely to learn and comment positively.

In the current state of play, the reviewer owes them nothing so they do whatever they want.

Camera manufacturers need to get with the 21st century.
If reviewers approached there reviews in a more professional way, maybe then they would get a K-1 for loan. I am sure Ricoh USA is aware of Tony and they made well founded decision not to supply him with a loaner.

---------- Post added 02-07-16 at 14:23 ----------

TheSnapChick didn't get one either despite her begging for it

https://youtu.be/sGqkwdASKYg?t=1m46s

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-21-2016 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Removed vulgarity in quoted post
07-02-2016, 05:43 AM   #277
Veteran Member

He did provide some useful info though : Quels zooms « pro » pour le Pentax K-1 ? - Le Monde de la Photo
This site test the K1 and the new zoom 15-30 24-70 70-200 and the 31 43 77 limited on this K1 (plus the 100 "almost limited" macro) and the results are not unreasonable. I know this site, it is quite honest when reviewing gears
None can measure the pixie dust or the magic glow from Pentax Limited lens anyway

07-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #278
Veteran Member

According to some here, Ricoh should send Tony (and many other reviewers posted on youtube) a k-1 to review, It is, again according to some, a marketing failure on Ricoh's part since they don't get one. I am not ready to buy this argument yet. It is not hard to think that if Tony (or many others) wants a k-1 (even for a loaner), he would have asked through the proper channel (reasonable to assume that to be the case). The fact that he does not get one, I (we) don't know why, but we can only speculate. Perhaps his credentials does not put him (for various reasons) in front of other "would be" reviewers on the list (not saying that it is true, but it is possible).

I am not in marketing profession and certainly don't want to pretend to be one, so I don't know. But I am not ready to jump in and criticise that it is a Ricoh marketing failure. Perhaps their production capacity can only afford limited quantities of loaners to reviewers (without Tony). OTOH, we have already seen many of Pentax ambassadors who, according to Ricoh, can better promote the k-1 through their line of work and roadshows than some reviewers that we know; that is just IMHO.

Some reviews are just a waste of time...and this..
07-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #279
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They're apparently making as many K-1's a day as is physically possible and still running 2 months behind demand.
It looks like there isn't that much production for the time being as long as Sony doesn't have it's sensor factory up and running full speed at the end of august. So they stay 2 months behind for some time to come.
07-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
wow, where do you get this info ? it's a huge demand !!!!
07-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
wow, where do you get this info ? it's a huge demand !!!!
It's common knowledge dealers can't keep them in stock, isn't it?

Major online Dealer screen cap just now - "More Coming Soon"
Attached Images

07-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #282
Veteran Member

Best landscape camera ever - Tony Northup.

Tony's spot on. No camera can be the best at all possible applications. What's the problem?

The AF isn't up to par with Nikon. Pentax has work to do to catch up. It's a tad slow, but still usable.

Not surprised about the D-FA 2.8/15-30, but was surprised about the D-FA* 2.8/70-200. I got both my copies of this lens for free, so I don't really care.

FA Limited's, it's more about rendering than just sharpness (I have all three and love 'em), but the Zeiss ZK's (if you can still find them) are truly stellar in all respects, I recommend the Distagon T* 2/35 ZK and the Planar T* 1.4/85 ZK.

Just to add, for the Pentax K-1's very few minor shortcomings I still wouldn't consider anything else.
07-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Not surprised about the D-FA 2.8/15-30, but was surprised about the D-FA* 2.8/70-200. I got both my copies of this lens for free, so I don't really care.
ok, I'll bite, how come you got your copies for free ???

Last edited by redcat; 07-03-2016 at 01:13 AM.
07-03-2016, 01:53 AM   #284
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
The AF isn't up to par with Nikon. Pentax has work to do to catch up. It's a tad slow, but still usable.
That video is about motor speed, not accuracy, # of AF points or tracking. As far as I know its the tracking that is most far behind, and that is somewhat related to # points and point spread.
07-03-2016, 02:09 AM   #285
Pentaxian

If Pentax can install tracking as good as Nikon on the k-1 successor, it will be a killer camera.