Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #1

Sharpness inconsistency

Hello

I'm with 44mm/f1.9 Limited.

I am experiencing a strange inconsistency in sharpness of photos taken at identical exposure settings and shooting conditions. One image can be super sharp (the lens is truly superb), another right after - not so much.

I am not sure what to attribute this to - lens, camera or both. Is anyone experiencing anything similar?

Thanks

06-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shake Reduction? If it's on while you're shooting on a tripod, it can introduce blur. SR can also take a brief moment to arm, so make sure the little hand icon is present in the viewfinder when hand-holding. A good way to ensure this is to always half-press first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bob_oi Quote
44mm/f1.9 Limited
?? Is that some secret new lens Pentax is testing. ?

Last edited by rawr; 06-21-2016 at 08:54 PM.
06-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera , is it a k5 sure

06-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello

I am experiencing a strange inconsistency in sharpness of photos taken at identical exposure settings and shooting conditions. One image can be super sharp (the lens is truly superb), another right after - not so much.

I am not sure what to attribute this to - lens, camera or both. Is anyone experiencing anything similar?

Thanks
Pictures or it didn't happen
06-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello

Thanks
Hello,

I do not have that particular lens, but whenever I have had a similar problem (and, believe me, I have ), it was neither the camera nor the lens at fault.
06-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry, it's K-1, I didn't mention, and the lens is 43mm of course.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Shake Reduction? If it's on while you're shooting on a tripod, it can introduce blur. SR can also take a brief moment to arm, so make sure the little hand icon is present in the viewfinder when hand-holding. A good way to ensure this is to always half-press first.
SR is off... But if it was on, is it operating when shooting stills?

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Hello,

I do not have that particular lens, but whenever I have had a similar problem (and, believe me, I have ), it was neither the camera nor the lens at fault.
At 1/500 what else can you blame?

06-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. You should turn SR off when the camera is tripod-mounted or in some instances if you're panning a shot. Otherwise, keep it on.

Camera shake?
06-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
autofocusing problems.
06-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
autofocusing problems.
Which implies either a mechanical problem with the lens or a calibration problem with the body/lens combination. Another cause at this shutter speed could be AF technique, which I think is what Quartermaster James was implying. Pentax DSLRs, with their relatively large AF sensors need more help from the shooter than some other AF systems with smaller and more discreet AF sensors.

Photographers who take the time to understand how an AF system works and learn how to work around their particular camera's AF system's quirks can get much more consistent AF performance regardless of which system is being used.

Scott
06-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's what it's for. It stabilizes all your shots

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's what it's for. It stabilizes all your shots
Well maybe I should turn it on then Thanks
06-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well maybe I should turn it on then Thanks
Sounds like we've gotten to the heart of what caused the issue to begin with. Great!

With SR on you can use crazy slow shutter speeds hand-held in low light, i.e. 1/6s. Try it out

Adam