Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Settings, techniques and workflow for a K-1 with K lens like 28mm f2.0?

Still getting started with my first Pentax. My first 35mm was a Miranda back in the 70's. Wow. My favorite camera in the past was a Rolleiflex 2.8 Planar. Eye site ain't what is used to be but I appreciate a good optic. I hope this 28 will be a good optic. After a little playing and some searching around here I got some reasonable shots. Figured out that leaving the focal length at 600mm and having he shake reduction on does not make for god pictures. Now I am just looking for settings, techniques and workflow for a K-1 with K lens ideas.
Select 28mm at startup. Focus switch to manual.
Is there a way to make the back wheel change ISO by default?Right now the front wheel does shutter but the back wheel does nothing. I canpress the ISO button on top and then the back wheel adjusts it but I would likeit to do that regularly with this lens. At the same time I do not want to messup my auto lens setups. I guess I will want to save a special user memory.
What is with the beeping? Sometimes after I fire a shot Iwill hear 3 beeps. Sometimes just holding it and moving it I will hear onebeep. Is that the autofocus hitting or some sort of warning?
I see in other threads something about customizing the buttonsand changing the green dot button to Tav or something but I do not think I have that in my K-1menu.
I am assuming no other positions are possible for the top selectorexcept M. That is if I want to use the green button to assist with a meterreading. It would be nice to be able to use some auto ISO but maybe that is a bad habit anyway.
I read elsewhere that this green button manual way of metering can be a bitun-reliable. Any tips around that. Would having bracketing on all the time be helpfulor overkill.
Is there any internal camera processing done to the jpg ordoes that only happen with newer FA lenses?
If there is not jpg processing and if I want to work withRAW should I skip jpg from the camera?
I have Adobe cloud but am not very good with it. Silkypix isnot real clear to me yet either. Probably a better question for later but whichRAW should I use?
Is peaking pretty helpful or just rely on the beep and dotin the viewfinder?
Hope this is not too much for one thread. I am pretty excited about this camera. Bought the 77 and love that. Bought the 300 DA SDM and posted some test shots from it. But 28mm has always been a favorite of mine and so I want this lens to be enjoyable. Thanks

06-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
Figured out that leaving the focal length at 600mm and having he shake reduction on does not make for god pictures.
No surprise there At 600mm the SR will greatly over-compensate for shake. You always want to select the same focal length as what's on the lens.

Is there a way to make the back wheel change ISO by default?
The only way to do this using the normal e-dial is after you press the ISO button. You can also set the settings dial/third wheel (also on the rear) to control the ISO; this is what I would recommend in your case.

There are additional customization options for the e-dials; see:
Pentax K-1 Review - User Interface | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Look for the Button Customization heading.

What is with the beeping? Sometimes after I fire a shot Iwill hear 3 beeps. Sometimes just holding it and moving it I will hear onebeep. Is that the autofocus hitting or some sort of warning?
AF confirmation. You'll hear it when your subject enters focus.

I see in other threads something about customizing the buttonsand changing the green dot button to Tav or something but I do not think I have that in my K-1menu.
See recommended settings here:

Pentax K-1 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I read elsewhere that this green button manual way of metering can be a bitun-reliable. Any tips around that. Would having bracketing on all the time be helpfulor overkill.
Stop-down metering isn't perfect because matrix metering isn't supported. You can use live view for more accurate exposure, or simply learn the lens and apply an exposure compensation. Generally-speaking, it's fine to underexpose as the K-1 has a tremendous amount of shadow recovery room.

Is there any internal camera processing done to the jpg ordoes that only happen with newer FA lenses?
JPEG processing happens regardless of lens. The camera applies the selected Custom Image profile to your photos. For select FA lenses, all DA and all D FA lenses, you're able to select distortion corrections and other lens corrections; these apply to JPEGs only.

If there is not jpg processing and if I want to work withRAW should I skip jpg from the camera?
You should skip JPEG for everything but snapshots, because RAW image quality is a lot better.

I have Adobe cloud but am not very good with it. Silkypix isnot real clear to me yet either. Probably a better question for later but whichRAW should I use?
Learn one and stick to it. Lightroom is pretty easy to get started with.

Is peaking pretty helpful or just rely on the beep and dotin the viewfinder?
It's very helpful, in particular with longer lenses. Viewfinder AF confirmation is nice, but it doesn't give you as good of a sense of what's actually in focus, whereas focus peaking does.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are additional customization options for the e-dials; see: Pentax K-1 Review - User Interface | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Thanks for pointing this out but they did not give an option for ISO here. Looks like the only choice is to have Av and Tv shift spots. Kind of useless with the aperture not being available on the manual lens. Maybe they could make that ISO and Tv an option in the future with firmware. Anyway thanks for pointing me in the right direction on that and the rest of your helpful reply.
06-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for pointing this out but they did not give an option for ISO here. Looks like the only choice is to have Av and Tv shift spots. Kind of useless with the aperture not being available on the manual lens. Maybe they could make that ISO and Tv an option in the future with firmware. Anyway thanks for pointing me in the right direction on that and the rest of your helpful reply.
Use the settings dial! You can have it permanently control the ISO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: