Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #16

You can use exiftool for that, the tag is named "shutter count".

06-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Forum Member

So, would there be a way to determine if photos were deleted from a memory card? I am curious because the first photo that I have from my K-1 shows the shutter count as 5. I suspected that the camera I received "new" was in fact previously opened as well. Though, mine has not done anything like described here.
06-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Back in the days when the K-5 where new there where also talk about shutter count on new bodies, and if I remember correctly it was considered fully normal to have quite a few shoots taken even on new cameras. I believe the general explanation was that the factory did a final check firing off a number of shots before distribution.

So perhaps other K-1 owners can report if their cameras where absolutely unfired before they got their hands on them?
06-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pleitzxcan Quote
Anyone know how the shutter count utility works with regard to deleted photos? So if someone checked shutter count with a particular jpeg, but had deleted photos that were taken before, does the counter count those photos?

I apologize if this is obvious and I have overlooked an obvious answer.

Yes, the camera also counts deleted photos too. For example, if your photo/ file count is 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and you delete photo 13, your photo/file count will be 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 but the shutter count will still show that you took 6 pictures and not 5.

06-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So, would there be a way to determine if photos were deleted from a memory card? I am curious because the first photo that I have from my K-1 shows the shutter count as 5. I suspected that the camera I received "new" was in fact previously opened as well. Though, mine has not done anything like described here.
I'm pretty sure it's normal to have around 5 or under shutter count when new.
Test shots pretty much.
06-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
So perhaps other K-1 owners can report if their cameras where absolutely unfired before they got their hands on them?
Because of this post I checked mine not an hour ago........first image showed......(1)......on the shutter count when I downloaded the image to find out.
Mine was unfired.
K3-II showed 2 or 3
K30 showed something like 5
KS2 showed 1

Deleted photos dont affect what the shutter count is..... shutter count is somehow maintained separately and independently of the card no matter what is done to the card........Pentax Magic !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 06-23-2016 at 11:29 AM.
06-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've just checked my K-1. The very first shot I took with it had shutter count 1.

06-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Does the shutter count number count up for every time the shutter is opened (I guess it should, but I don't know)? That is, if you engage live view does it count up, even if you don't take a picture?
06-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Does the shutter count number count up for every time the shutter is opened (I guess it should, but I don't know)? That is, if you engage live view does it count up, even if you don't take a picture?
I don't know......Not sure and I have the same question. I do know that HDR adds three actuations.......and I think PS does the same. In other words actual images are going to be somewhat lower than shutter actuation counts.
06-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukhozi Quote
OK. Shuttercount reads 32 - 7 of which are mine! So someone has played around with the camera before it came to me.
Might have been on display at the dealers shop? Have to talk to them about it!
This could be factory test shots.
06-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just received my brand new K-1. It came together with the D FA 28-105mm lens.
I mounted the lens and put in a fully charged D-LI90 battery. Then played around a bit with the basic settings (date, time, sound etc.).

After a few test shots (5 or so) there was an annoying "mechanical" sound - like the shutter moving rapidly (?), for a second or so. I turned the camera off and back on again. Now the back lcd display only showd a weird colourful pattern. This will now always show after I switch the camera on. Also the shutter does not work anymore. Switching on/off or changing the battery does not help either.

Sad, but I´m going to send it back.

Anybody with a similar problem?
Have you tried pulling out the battery while the camera is on?

Sounds like some sort of defect/damage, so I would still push for an exchange.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just received my brand new K-1. It came together with the D FA 28-105mm lens.
I mounted the lens and put in a fully charged D-LI90 battery. Then played around a bit with the basic settings (date, time, sound etc.).

After a few test shots (5 or so) there was an annoying "mechanical" sound - like the shutter moving rapidly (?), for a second or so. I turned the camera off and back on again. Now the back lcd display only showd a weird colourful pattern. This will now always show after I switch the camera on. Also the shutter does not work anymore. Switching on/off or changing the battery does not help either.

Sad, but I´m going to send it back.

Anybody with a similar problem?
OMG guess I will wait to see how all these problems play out.
06-23-2016, 04:22 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
OMG guess I will wait to see how all these problems play out.
Get thee back under the bridge.
NikonForums
06-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Get thee back under the bridge.
NikonForums
06-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Test shots pretty much.
I would expect that final quality checks would involve a few exposures, but over 10 is excessive, IMHO.

Steve