Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
LV brightness changes with exposure settings

I have been checking regularly to see if anyone has posted this question and have searched the manual but no luck.

Many probably see this as a positive feature but it is driving me crazy. Is there a way to turn off liveview brightness adjustments when changing f stop, ISO, or shutter speed? I would just like to use Liveview for composition only, not for checking the exposure. I prefer to compose first and then work on my exposure settings but must do this in reverse if using Live view because the scene displayed on the screen will be either too bright or dark to compose with if I am over or underexposed, respectively. I am coming from a K5 which properly exposed the scene in Live view, regardless of f stop, ISO and shutter speed.

I may just be an idiot and there may be a simple menu option for this? Has this been driving anyone else crazy?

06-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I just got mine not even two days ago and noticed in M mode mine does it. I cant offer any real advice though as almost all my images are manual lenses and M mode or AV mode.
Doesn't bother me as the K-3ii and Ks-2 all do the same thing.......I just never really gave it any thought.
06-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Didn't we have another thread somewhere where the complaint was that LV brightness did NOT change with the settings??? Confused...
(hit the green button first?)
06-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Didn't we have another thread somewhere where the complaint was that LV brightness did NOT change with the settings??? Confused...
If so I need to figure out what settings they are using.

However, the green button certainly does work. It would be even better if it weren't required to press to adjust the settings but it is certainly easier than scrolling in the proper exposure.

06-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I'm not using the Green button at all except on non A lenses or Takumars. With A set on lens You are going to notice a darkening and lightening in of the screen in LV as you change the aperture.

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 02:15 AM ----------

May I suggest using TAV Mode ? I'm not too sure as I haven't used it in a loooooong time.......but if I remember right you might have better functioning of non A contact lenses and the Green Button while using LV ?
06-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
I have been checking regularly to see if anyone has posted this question and have searched the manual but no luck.

Many probably see this as a positive feature but it is driving me crazy. Is there a way to turn off liveview brightness adjustments when changing f stop, ISO, or shutter speed? I would just like to use Liveview for composition only, not for checking the exposure. I prefer to compose first and then work on my exposure settings but must do this in reverse if using Live view because the scene displayed on the screen will be either too bright or dark to compose with if I am over or underexposed, respectively. I am coming from a K5 which properly exposed the scene in Live view, regardless of f stop, ISO and shutter speed.

I may just be an idiot and there may be a simple menu option for this? Has this been driving anyone else crazy?
This only happens in M Mode, Turff ... I don't think you can override it, the way I can my Sony A7.

A bad situation is indoors flash - if you black out the ambient, you can't see the subject!
06-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #7

It's funny because somebody was complaining a few days back that it didn't have live exposure preview.

In Manual 'M' mode live view behaves as it does on most mirrorless with an exposure preview of the ambient.

If you want to work it in studio (with flash) the option is to use TVS mode and ISO 100. In this mode it looks to disable the exposure preview and behaves similarly to the Sony when live exposure preview is disabled.

I actually prefer this setup for studio over the Sony for this reason. Easy dial click without having to dive into menus.