Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's that wire on the back of the K1 mount for?

I did a little minor surgery this morning on my K1's mount. I actually had to remove it (don't ask me why - that's a long story).

Removing it and replacing it was very easy.

While removing it I noticed a very thin wire was soldered to the underside of the mount. Anyway, during the process, this little wire broke off at the solder point where it was attached to the mount.

I've shot the camera a bit since this happened and everything seems to be working just fine.

Do other digital Pentax cameras have this wire? Anyone know what that little wire was for?

Thanks

06-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ground wire? (just guessing)
06-25-2016, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #3

It is the grounding wire for the electronics involved with the "A" contacts. If the connection goes bad you'll probably see the dreaded "F---" and auto-focus may stop working.
06-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm always astounded that the first thing some people do when they by some new and shiny toy is take it apart and break it.

06-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe You SHOULD tell us the whole Story ? You gave us just enough info to have us wondering "Why in the World" would you do Surgery in the first place ?
06-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not A Number, thanks for your response.

I actually only have one auto-focus lens, all of the rest are manual focus.

Just tested my only AF lens, and it appears to be working and auto focusing perfectly.

By the way, what's the dreaded "F"?

---------- Post added 06-25-16 at 12:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Maybe You SHOULD tell us the whole Story ? You gave us just enough info to have us wondering "Why in the World" would you do Surgery in the first place ?

I adapt many old Xray / TV / Projector lenses to fit onto modern digital cameras (e.g. Nikon, Canon, Fuji, and Pentax of course). I currently have about 15 such lenses that I am in various stages of adapting. While working on one of them I did something wrong and had to remove the mount.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-25-2016 at 10:41 AM.
06-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, seems like a strange thing to do to void the warranty on your brand new camera. Anyway -- the "F--" is when it shows that on the LCD instead of aperture info -- just like it would do with a non-A manual lens -- indicating that the lens and body are not communicating...

06-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I adapt many old Xray / TV / Projector lenses to fit onto modern digital cameras (e.g. Nikon, Canon, Fuji, and Pentax of course). I currently have about 15 such lenses that I am in various stages of adapting. While working on one of them I did something wrong and had to remove the mount.
You mean a Frankenlense type adaption ? I'm working on one also....however , When you said mount the first thing that came to mind was the Camera Tripod Mount.....not the Lens Mount.....Yes.....I see now.
06-25-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #9

I don't know if the K-1 is prone to the aperture lever / green button not working syndrome with lenses of non-conducting bases but if the connection goes bad this could happen too.
06-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't know if the K-1 is prone to the aperture lever / green button not working syndrome with lenses of non-conducting bases but if the connection goes bad this could happen too.
Just got through shooting an old Pentax 28mm f/3.5 using "green button". Worked just fine.
06-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

It broke on my K5IIs when it fell off the shelf and pulled the mount out.......All I can tell you is that it is "not for breaking". Keep shooting and using all the functions and you will soon understand that little wire is not for hanging Christmas bulbs!

Regards!
06-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #12

It may work now but if the connection works loose or oxidizes the connection might become intermittent or stop working altogether.