Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

K1/Samyang 24mm Tilt/Shift and Pixel Shift

Now that the K1 is out the Samyang Tilt Shift usefullness really shines. Using the tilt function (photo 1) you can shoot almost wide open (f4) and get a large depth of field; note that pixel shift was also done on this photo.. Also, using the shift function, you can straighten buildings as outlined in Photos 2 (without Shift) and 3 (with shift). While these are taken on a tripod, using tilt/shift lens could be done handheld (1/125 sec shutter speed), of course but no pixel shift.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

D, how do you find the Samyang's overall image sharpness and attractiveness? I've used several different Canon TS lenses on Canon bodies and was very happy with them, and I've been tempted by the Samyang.
06-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Jeffrey:

I am finding the Samyang sharpness to be fine; it is a question of getting the focus correct and focus peaking really helps.

Dale
06-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
cpk
Site Supporter

I started using shift lenses over 35 years ago, both for the Pentax LX and Mamiya 645. Back then they were necessary with the use of film. Their shift capabilities today can easily be provided by software except, possibly, in extreme conditions where the use of a shift lens would lessen the required software corrections. In fact I traded my Pentax shift lens in to get the 31 mm and tried to sell the Mamiya shift lens but couldn't. Where today's shift/tilt lenses will really prove useful is in the use of their tilt capabilities to increase overall sharpness in situations such as landscape. This was something I could only do back then with a view camera.

I might add, however, that I have a friend who uses a Nikon D800 and 24 mm shift/tilt lens to do street photography. By shifting the lens he can point the camera one way and get a photo of someone who is off-centre to the camera.

Added afterwards: I just checked B&H. The price for this lens is pretty good, but I would probably want the Schneider at 4x the cost. On second thought, I will stick to software corrections of verticals where necessary.

Last edited by cpk; 06-25-2016 at 02:38 PM.