Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 and the Samyang 135/2, a Killer Combo!!

I got the Samyang 135/2 the other day and, wow, this is a stunning lens combo with my K-1. Practically no PF/CA, excellent bokeh and amazingly sharp. These pics have had no PP. Many other lenses would struggle with the CA/PF in the leaves.

Last edited by dcpropilot; 06-25-2016 at 03:26 PM.
06-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I concur, you get about 95% of the zeiss apo at 1/3 the cost. It is superb
06-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
seems to be a great lens
06-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I really hope Samyang get their act together with regard to autofocus. If they can provide an alternative source for AF K mount lenses, they should do a roaring trade - even if it's screwdrive.

06-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There simply is no other lens in Pentax-Land which can beat the Samyang on pure optical performance.

And before anyone starts complaining about Pentax lens offerings: Canon, Nikon and Sony are no better
The Samyang beats the crap out of Sigma Art 35 and Sigma Art 50 mm lenses as well both in performance wide open and even when the Sigma Arts are given an bonus stopping them a full stop down to F2.

Samyang winner:
http://www.lenstip.com/upload3/4300_roz.png

Sigma Arts behind:
http://www.lenstip.com/upload3/3767_roz.jpg
http://www.lenstip.com/upload3/4053_roz.jpg

The Samyang is a completely underrated lens.

BTW:
The Zeiss Otus does not beat it wide open: http://www.lenstip.com/upload3/4160_roz.jpg
Just the Apo Sonnar wins by a very small margin (put a Leitax Bayonet on one and be happy).

And all this for about 470 EUR.
06-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks a top lens.

Hopefully auto-focus will come to Samyang K-mount soon.
06-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I got the Samyang 135/2 the other day and, wow, this is a stunning lens combo with my K-1. Practically no PF/CA, excellent bokeh and amazingly sharp. These pics have had no PP. Many other lenses would struggle with the CA/PF in the leaves.

I bought the Samyang 85mm (M) and so far I like it very much, and the price is good. Manual, but so what?? Manuals simple enough and at that focal length, I would always manual focus for portraits anyway. RJM

06-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #8

great lens! their 35mm 1.4 is amazing too !
thanks samyang for staying with pentax, while sigma & tamron tend to let pentax down.
06-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
that doll is sharp!
06-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #10

I can't wait to try my Samyangs with the K-1. Portraits with the 135 would be great! I also got the 14mm which would be other killer combination. One of the sharpness lenses and the best landscape camera, ever!
06-26-2016, 02:11 AM - 2 Likes   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hopefully auto-focus will come to Samyang K-mount soon.
Won't happen.

For it to happen, Samyang would not only have to implement the mechanism for screwdrive AF (or even some kind of SDM or however you want to call the in-lens motor-driven AF), but also to implement the electrical protocol Pentax uses on the KAF bayonet.

Implementing the mechanism would be something that has to be re-invented for other lens bayonets; Nikon also is capable to use screwdrive AF, so there might be some synergy, but Canon is fully electric ...

But the mechanism is just part of the job, the problem lies in the communication between lens and camera body.
This is completely undocumented, and 3rd-party lens makers have either to license it from Pentax (as Tamron seems to do) or re-engineer it (as Sigma does).

Tamron apparently only licensed the old screw-drive bayonet, else they'd be selling SDM lenses, and even OS lenses (yep, that's real, optical stabilisation works on Pentax cameras, as numerous Sigma lenses show).

Since Pentax clearly isn't interested in 3rd-party lenses, the 3rd-party manufacturers have just the four options:
- ignore the Pentax lens market
- only produce fully manual lenses with the KA bayonet (and hence a diaphragm ring), since this is well understood and has no undocumented parts
- try to license the lens protocol (might be connected to becoming Pentax OEM manufacturer)
- re-engineer the lens protocol (with all the nice consequences, as Sigma is currently experiencing, with mechanical and firmware issues)

Alas, it's mostly the first or the second option that today's lens makers are choosing.

In a better world, Pentax would create a licensing program for 3rd-party lens manufacturers to increase the choice for Pentax users, but quite obviously their marketing department works differently.

What Pentax does not produce (or re-badge), Pentax users don't have a need for.

(For users of telephoto lenses there is an option to obtain AF in retrofit - with the AF 1.7x Rear Converter. But that changes the effective focal length and surely changes image quality somewhat, so it's definitively not a solution for this very Samyang lens here)
06-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Won't happen.
Never say never.

Samyang have already announced two Sony FE mount lenses with AF (14mm/f2.8 and 50mm f1.4). Photokina may possibly reveal even broader mount support.

Samyang have shown over recent years that they are capable of decent product design and engineering. I would be hesitant to say that making K-mount AF lenses is beyond their capability.
06-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #13

I am not familiar with Samyang. They look very much like the Rokinon which I believe is due to being the same company. Is there any difference between them? Are their lenses designed for crop sensors or all FF? How would you tell the difference? A brief search did find articles questioning their build quality (not their optics). Those may be a bit old. What can you tell about build?
06-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
What can you tell about build?
In my experience (of four Samyangs), they are built very solidly, particularly their Cinema range. And yes, Samyang/Rokinon are the same.

Samyang Optics, Lenses for Camera ? Cine ? CCTV ? Photo, Prime Lenses & Third party Lenses

Look up a few of their lenses on Lenstip, who usually pay great attention to lens build quality:
Lenses reviews - LensTip.com
06-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rokinon is made by Samyang. The newer designs have a red ring around the barrel with the newer UMC coating. I like the build quality. The 35/1.4 is one of the smoothest and nicest dampened focus ring I've experienced. The 135 1.2 is just slightly stiffer, but I'm sure will loosen up as I use it more.