Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian
MadMathMind's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,589
Original Poster
Really? This is normal? Man...that's disappointing. I really kinda was hoping something was wrong with the lens. :/ I expected a lot more out of that 9.6 sharpness rating (but that was on a crop body). The 31 and 77 are just so, so much better...

Well, I really appreciate the feedback, guys. It helped me a lot. Thank you a dozen times!

I really regret selling my FA50 f/1.7 and hope that the one I just acquired is as nice as the one I sold. The DA*55 is also an option for me as well. The longer focal length may be just what I'm looking for; the 77 is my go-to but sometimes it's just too tight in cramped rooms for my model work. Kinda trying to decide what to do with the FA43 since I don't mind it as much with "stuff" if I can stop it down to f/8. Guess we'll see what happens with that FA50!


Last edited by MadMathMind; 06-27-2016 at 07:09 PM.
06-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,238
I've been using my FA43 on my film cameras for over five years and it's a stellar performer. It produces stunning images and I like it way better than the FA77.

I only use manual focus, so I can't comment on its AF capabilities.

Phil.
06-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,750
Web jpg looks are not definitive. Maybe post some full resolution RAW files and have people download them?
06-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #19
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bronson, Missouri
Posts: 72
I haven't been using it in AF so can't talk about FF/BF. On my copy, I find that it is very soft all over until f/4, and f/5.6 is preferable. The interesting thing is that there is almost no visible diffraction effect from f/16 to f/22, so I would be fine using it at minimum aperture for DOF.

06-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 251
you must have a bad copy... i'm amazed at my 43+k1. i hate to think that there are bad copies of any lens, but i had a 15/f4 that was either great or garbage.... just depended on the scene... so i sold it... ca was obscene. i've never bought a new lens fwiw. maybe do an objective test against the 77 under controlled conditions, or send it to someone who can?
06-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,696
I'm really happy with my FA 43 and K-1, and my FA 77. They are really different thou. I have quite 'meh' with 43 some times, but it really depends on what kind of scenery I'm shooting at. But on FF, I do love it and I tend to shoot scenery mostly, some times snaps of my friends. But I think that I ansvered same way when you asked. Almost same question couple months a go. My lense is for close focusing for busy background and that needing MF and when I get it right, it is good. Looking at your examples on previous page FA did not hit the very tip of handle where FA 77 was focused. On 43 image textures on that chair were better, also this resolution is not the best to PP. Other than that they did look really much a like. Color, ect.
06-28-2016, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,615
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
you must have a bad copy... i'm amazed at my 43+k1. i hate to think that there are bad copies of any lens, but i had a 15/f4 that was either great or garbage.... just depended on the scene... so i sold it... ca was obscene. i've never bought a new lens fwiw. maybe do an objective test against the 77 under controlled conditions, or send it to someone who can?
@Digitalis could certainly put it through the wringer for him, but the expense of the round trip to Australia possibly isn't worth it.
06-28-2016, 12:46 AM - 5 Likes   #23
Pentaxian
hoopsontoast's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 828
I love my FA43, its not without its limitations, mine is sharp in the centre from wide open and the corners don't follow until around f4-f5.6 but its so compact, light and fast AF while for me, being the perfect walkaround focal length.

I have only taken a couple of test shots with it in less than ideal conditions on the first day I had the K-1, ignore the vignette, I've added quite a bit in PP.







A selection from it on my old K-3II













And can't fault the sharpness on this one, wide open on the K-01




---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 08:55 AM ----------

And my most used lens on film, by a long shot (mostly with the MZ-S) I love it on FF for environmental portraits.






















06-28-2016, 01:01 AM   #24
Pentaxian
RAART's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakville, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
I had purchased one at local store and returned it after 5 days. My copy was not good. DA35mm 2.4 was beating it at any f-stop in terms of sharpness... also the focus was much better on DA35. Glad I was able to get full refund without restocking fee but demonstrated in store on my camera and they checked on their camera with same conclusion.
06-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,819
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I have only taken a couple of test shots with it in less than ideal conditions on the first day I had the K-1, ignore the vignette, I've added quite a bit in PP.
wow, your photo are so sharp, I never think about the 43mm before because I had the 31 and 77 but you make me wonder.... LBA is kicking !!!
06-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #26
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 850
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I love my FA43, its not without its limitations, mine is sharp in the centre from wide open and the corners don't follow until around f4-f5.6 but its so compact, light and fast AF while for me, being the perfect walkaround focal length.

I have only taken a couple of test shots with it in less than ideal conditions on the first day I had the K-1, ignore the vignette, I've added quite a bit in PP.







A selection from it on my old K-3II













And can't fault the sharpness on this one, wide open on the K-01




---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 08:55 AM ----------

And my most used lens on film, by a long shot (mostly with the MZ-S) I love it on FF for environmental portraits.




















Fantastic examples.
06-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #27
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Roi-et, Thailand
Posts: 773
I found the FA43 mediocre in the K-3, but it excels on the K-1. I mean it really shines.
06-28-2016, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,696
I cannot really believe that this lens gets so bad review, there must be some sample variations.













06-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #29
Pentaxian
hoopsontoast's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 828
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
wow, your photo are so sharp, I never think about the 43mm before because I had the 31 and 77 but you make me wonder.... LBA is kicking !!!
Thanks, if you liked the FA31 on APS-C, then the FA43 on the K-1 is perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Fantastic examples.
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I cannot really believe that this lens gets so bad review, there must be some sample variations.













I would agree, my first copy, an older MIJ version in silver was OK wide open in the centre, but not great. My brand new copy however, bought last year in black is excellent

---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 06:26 PM ----------

Oh, and the perfect 8-point sun starts are lovely for landscape work IMO


06-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #30
Pentaxian
MadMathMind's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,589
Original Poster
Thanks guys but photos/praise for the lens on a crop body don't help much.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
Thanks, if you liked the FA31 on APS-C, then the FA43 on the K-1 is perfect.
This is what I thought but the two lenses feel really different to me. I think it's mostly related to curvature and distortion. While the fields of view are equivalent, distortion increases toward the edges of a lens, with more as the focal length decreases in general. You avoid a lot of the fall-off from the 31 by cropping it; with the 43 you see all of it. I've found that you need to be a lot more level and straight on with the 43 on K-1 than the 31 on APS-C.

It's definitely not as simple as "FoV = the same, shoot them the same."
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arm, bit, body, center, chair, dslr, experience, f/2.8, fa43, fa77, flickr, focus, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k-1 and fa43, k1, lens, love, pentax k-1, review, reviews, robert, sun, test
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered the FA43 1.9 for my K-3 dcpropilot Pentax K-3 13 03-08-2015 06:48 PM
FA43 1.9 Limited IR shift has two versions Underbridge Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 05-28-2013 04:45 AM
Wanted - Acquired: FA43 Limited & M42 to K adapter Damon Sold Items 9 03-24-2012 01:42 PM
RVP100 with My FA Limited Lens and something about FA43 henryjing Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 08-19-2011 03:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top