Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Really? This is normal? Man...that's disappointing. I really kinda was hoping something was wrong with the lens. :/ I expected a lot more out of that 9.6 sharpness rating (but that was on a crop body). The 31 and 77 are just so, so much better...

Well, I really appreciate the feedback, guys. It helped me a lot. Thank you a dozen times!

I really regret selling my FA50 f/1.7 and hope that the one I just acquired is as nice as the one I sold. The DA*55 is also an option for me as well. The longer focal length may be just what I'm looking for; the 77 is my go-to but sometimes it's just too tight in cramped rooms for my model work. Kinda trying to decide what to do with the FA43 since I don't mind it as much with "stuff" if I can stop it down to f/8. Guess we'll see what happens with that FA50!

Last edited by MadMathMind; 06-27-2016 at 07:09 PM.
06-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using my FA43 on my film cameras for over five years and it's a stellar performer. It produces stunning images and I like it way better than the FA77.

I only use manual focus, so I can't comment on its AF capabilities.

Phil.
06-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Web jpg looks are not definitive. Maybe post some full resolution RAW files and have people download them?
06-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #19
Forum Member

I haven't been using it in AF so can't talk about FF/BF. On my copy, I find that it is very soft all over until f/4, and f/5.6 is preferable. The interesting thing is that there is almost no visible diffraction effect from f/16 to f/22, so I would be fine using it at minimum aperture for DOF.

06-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

you must have a bad copy... i'm amazed at my 43+k1. i hate to think that there are bad copies of any lens, but i had a 15/f4 that was either great or garbage.... just depended on the scene... so i sold it... ca was obscene. i've never bought a new lens fwiw. maybe do an objective test against the 77 under controlled conditions, or send it to someone who can?
06-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm really happy with my FA 43 and K-1, and my FA 77. They are really different thou. I have quite 'meh' with 43 some times, but it really depends on what kind of scenery I'm shooting at. But on FF, I do love it and I tend to shoot scenery mostly, some times snaps of my friends. But I think that I ansvered same way when you asked. Almost same question couple months a go. My lense is for close focusing for busy background and that needing MF and when I get it right, it is good. Looking at your examples on previous page FA did not hit the very tip of handle where FA 77 was focused. On 43 image textures on that chair were better, also this resolution is not the best to PP. Other than that they did look really much a like. Color, ect.
06-28-2016, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
you must have a bad copy... i'm amazed at my 43+k1. i hate to think that there are bad copies of any lens, but i had a 15/f4 that was either great or garbage.... just depended on the scene... so i sold it... ca was obscene. i've never bought a new lens fwiw. maybe do an objective test against the 77 under controlled conditions, or send it to someone who can?
@Digitalis could certainly put it through the wringer for him, but the expense of the round trip to Australia possibly isn't worth it.

06-28-2016, 12:46 AM - 5 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

I love my FA43, its not without its limitations, mine is sharp in the centre from wide open and the corners don't follow until around f4-f5.6 but its so compact, light and fast AF while for me, being the perfect walkaround focal length.

I have only taken a couple of test shots with it in less than ideal conditions on the first day I had the K-1, ignore the vignette, I've added quite a bit in PP.

A selection from it on my old K-3II

And can't fault the sharpness on this one, wide open on the K-01

---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 08:55 AM ----------

And my most used lens on film, by a long shot (mostly with the MZ-S) I love it on FF for environmental portraits.

06-28-2016, 01:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I had purchased one at local store and returned it after 5 days. My copy was not good. DA35mm 2.4 was beating it at any f-stop in terms of sharpness... also the focus was much better on DA35. Glad I was able to get full refund without restocking fee but demonstrated in store on my camera and they checked on their camera with same conclusion.
06-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I have only taken a couple of test shots with it in less than ideal conditions on the first day I had the K-1, ignore the vignette, I've added quite a bit in PP.
wow, your photo are so sharp, I never think about the 43mm before because I had the 31 and 77 but you make me wonder.... LBA is kicking !!!
06-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I love my FA43, its not without its limitations, mine is sharp in the centre from wide open and the corners don't follow until around f4-f5.6 but its so compact, light and fast AF while for me, being the perfect walkaround focal length.

A selection from it on my old K-3II

And can't fault the sharpness on this one, wide open on the K-01

---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 08:55 AM ----------

And my most used lens on film, by a long shot (mostly with the MZ-S) I love it on FF for environmental portraits.

Fantastic examples.
06-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I found the FA43 mediocre in the K-3, but it excels on the K-1. I mean it really shines.
06-28-2016, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

I cannot really believe that this lens gets so bad review, there must be some sample variations.

06-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
wow, your photo are so sharp, I never think about the 43mm before because I had the 31 and 77 but you make me wonder.... LBA is kicking !!!
Thanks, if you liked the FA31 on APS-C, then the FA43 on the K-1 is perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Fantastic examples.
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I cannot really believe that this lens gets so bad review, there must be some sample variations.

I would agree, my first copy, an older MIJ version in silver was OK wide open in the centre, but not great. My brand new copy however, bought last year in black is excellent

---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 06:26 PM ----------

Oh, and the perfect 8-point sun starts are lovely for landscape work IMO

06-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys but photos/praise for the lens on a crop body don't help much.

Thanks, if you liked the FA31 on APS-C, then the FA43 on the K-1 is perfect.
This is what I thought but the two lenses feel really different to me. I think it's mostly related to curvature and distortion. While the fields of view are equivalent, distortion increases toward the edges of a lens, with more as the focal length decreases in general. You avoid a lot of the fall-off from the 31 by cropping it; with the 43 you see all of it. I've found that you need to be a lot more level and straight on with the 43 on K-1 than the 31 on APS-C.

It's definitely not as simple as "FoV = the same, shoot them the same."