Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera Cottage K-1s

Camera Cottage ((406) 671-6640) has 3 K-1s in stock as of now. Carter says that K-1 production has shut down because of the damage to Sony's sensor plant, That plant is where the K-1 sensors were made and the K-1 is the only camera with that sensor now. I wonder if we'll see a K-1 II sooner rather than later?

06-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Is it the only one? How about the A7R? (which - see link below - is still in production) The D810?
Sony announces camera shipment delays due to Kumamoto earthquake: Digital Photography Review

Sony is working hard to restore production. They will. Pentax won't be forced to replacing the K-1 just a few months after introduction, which is not a trivial task anyway.
06-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think there will be that big of a long-term impact. Ricoh would have said more than they did in the recent press release.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I only pass along what was told to me by the dealer who gets his info from his Ricoh rep.

06-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I only pass along what was told to me by the dealer who gets his info from his Ricoh rep.
Sales rep don't know much except what they are being told. The likelihood that a new camera design is needed because of sony fab issues, is, nearly zero. But it may take several months to put a fab line back in order, produce a few pre-series to check quality and refill the production pipeline.
06-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree, the fact that the K-1 has USB 2.0 indicates gives us a bit of an idea of the time put into R&D. I doubt we would see a new camera out of this just based off the time I think would be needed to make a new camera.