Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Pixel Shifted Snoqualie Falls using 24-70mm Pentax

Now that I have my 24-70mm I thought I would give the Pixel Shift functionality a try. I used pixel shift + motion correction. I live close enough to Snoqualmie falls that I can go after work. This was taken shortly before golden hour. The highlights in the water was giving me fits. I shot in aperture priority and under exposed by 2 stops and pulled back the detail from the shadows in post. In hindsight I should have stayed longer but the rainbow effect probably would have been gone and my girlfriend didn't want to stay for another hour.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AwesomeIan Quote
Now that I have my 24-70mm I thought I would give the Pixel Shift functionality a try. I used pixel shift + motion correction. I live close enough to Snoqualmie falls that I can go after work. This was taken shortly before golden hour. The highlights in the water was giving me fits. I shot in aperture priority and under exposed by 2 stops and pulled back the detail from the shadows in post. In hindsight I should have stayed longer but the rainbow effect probably would have been gone and my girlfriend didn't want to stay for another hour.
That a very good photo in any case....
Those darn girl friends, it take awhile to break them in.
06-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

my girlfriend didn't want to stay for another hour.
Time for a new girlfriend?

Very nice image!
06-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Nice shot! Just like the shot in the Great Northern Hotel wikipedia entry.

06-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote

Ha! Look at that. The composition and lighting is almost the same. I think I was a little wider and maybe the sun was a little lower in the sky

---------- Post added 06-30-16 at 12:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Time for a new girlfriend?

Very nice image!

I actually invited her along knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to stay until golden hour/blue hour. She is actually starting to ask me to borrow my camera sometimes. Right now she is allowed to use my D610 with a $100 50mm lens without supervision but that's it. If I am around I let her use whatever she wants.

I will make my way up to the falls again and do some long exposure with the pixel shift. Hopefully in the near future. I need to figure out how to get to the base of the falls. It is all fenced off but I know people can get down there because I see them from the top.
06-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I actually invited her along knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to stay until golden hour/blue hour. She is actually starting to ask me to borrow my camera sometimes.
Best solution is to buy her a camera of her own. I'm usually waiting on my wife to finish shooting. And with two shooters in the family you need more lenses
06-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote
That is very close! Looks like there was a little more rain back when the Wikipedia photo was taken though.

Nice shot! The rainbow really adds a nice touch.
06-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Best solution is to buy her a camera of her own. I'm usually waiting on my wife to finish shooting. And with two shooters in the family you need more lenses
LOL.
Pls hush up about the trade secrets.

06-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
LOL.
Pls hush up about the trade secrets.

I still have my D610 to compliment my new K-1. I think that is fine for her to use as long as I don't configure it for back button focus :-D
06-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I let her use whatever she wants.
06-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Tell me about it. I have 250 miles between my Dad's house and mine and yet lenses keep migrating back and forth. LOL. Sometimes I swear the little buggers have legs.
06-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

In hindsight I should have stayed longer but the rainbow effect probably would have been gone and my girlfriend didn't want to stay for another hour.

Buy her a camera.

Nice shot and well worth another visit
06-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I would have started driving off and told her that it was too bad that she didn't want to stay another hour because you were going to propose to her when the light got just right.
06-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, I would have started driving off and told her that it was too bad that she didn't want to stay another hour because you were going to propose to her when the light got just right.
HAHAH! Good one
06-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
You would be hopelessly single for the rest of your life if that's a real plan....