Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does K-1 limit use of flash to sync speed?

Just wondering if the K-1 is still limited to using non-HSS flash only up to the sync speed like its predecessors?
i.e. can one finally use non-HSS flash above the sync speed?

06-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean something like having the hot shoe fire regardless of shutter speed?

You might want to check this thread out...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/323200-isnt-k-1-crop-mode-...n-1-200-a.html

Steve

(...found fairly quickly with the forum search...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-30-2016 at 02:13 PM.
06-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I havn't heard anything to suggest that the K1 behaves differently regarding flash and sync than the previous DSLRs ... we do get 1/200th max sync speed though
06-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
(...found fairly quickly with the forum search...)
You obviously have better search skills than I. Thank you though for pointing that out.
Although not very helpful in answering the question.

I do not see much of an answer in that post. I guess one can possibly infer from the discussion that people believe it might still be limited.
Is there an concrete Yes or No somewhere?

Was finding and posting the link and commenting really faster, more straight forward and more helpful than a Yes/No?

Honestly, if you can't be helpful, simply not responding is a completely acceptable option.

---------- Post added 06-30-16 at 05:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I havn't heard anything to suggest that the K1 behaves differently regarding flash and sync than the previous DSLRs ... we do get 1/200th max sync speed though
Yeah, that was my impression. I haven't ready anything stating one way or another.
I don't expect it, but it would be nice if they improved the sync speed that they may also have improved by not limiting flash completely.
Thanks

06-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you really need it that badly... there is always high-speed sync from a dedicated unit. Gotta warn you, though, having fired flashes above sync speed on manual cameras that will not refuse the fire order... the results are not pretty. Last time I did that, I amputated the front half of my wife and sliced the rear end off a poodle puppy.
06-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the issue is that the designers would not see that change as an 'improvement' ..... maybe quite the opposite, and some points were made above by Steve which ring true. Can you imagine the number of repeated threads we would start getting here that go like ...'My K1 shutter is sticking' ...'Black parts seen on my photos with flash' ... etc etc If flash pictures could be taken beyond the max sync speed during normal camera operation, just by dialing a shorter time value in, then there would be so many people who were unaware of flash sync matters, and the technology limitation, that they would be thinking something was wrong all the time.

As it is of course, there are questioins about why you can't set an exposure time shorter than 1/180th when a flash is activated .... but these will be far less than the confusion caused by the other way.
06-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you really need it that badly... there is always high-speed sync from a dedicated unit. Gotta warn you, though, having fired flashes above sync speed on manual cameras that will not refuse the fire order... the results are not pretty. Last time I did that, I amputated the front half of my wife and sliced the rear end off a poodle puppy.
Yeah, I'm aware of the potential issues. I have several HSS flashes. The power drops off really quickly.
Uses are limited but there are times I would like to use my full studio strobes (and/or my non-PTTl off-camera flashes) rather than renting half a dozen AF540fgz's to get decent power.
You'd also still have to worry about the line of sight flash communications, which can be problematic in bright light... I guess I could string a bunch of 5 wire PTTL cable but that has its own safety issues in addition to excessive cost and possible electrical capacity with many flashes -- although I honestly don't know what the limits might be with many hardwired flashes.

06-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

We badly need, IDK, an AF2000FGZ-III, with all the FGZ-II goodies but addding back in the thyristor control that we lost with the II. What would be totally cool is a modular unit in which the top half can be taken off and mounted on a tripod, accepting AC input if desired for rapid cycling or prolonged use, while the bottom part remains on the camera to act as a wireless remote and thyristor regulator.
06-30-2016, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the issue is that the designers would not see that change as an 'improvement' ..... maybe quite the opposite, and some points were made above by Steve which ring true. Can you imagine the number of repeated threads we would start getting here that go like ...'My K1 shutter is sticking' ...'Black parts seen on my photos with flash' ... etc etc If flash pictures could be taken beyond the max sync speed during normal camera operation, just by dialing a shorter time value in, then there would be so many people who were unaware of flash sync matters, and the technology limitation, that they would be thinking something was wrong all the time.

As it is of course, there are questioins about why you can't set an exposure time shorter than 1/180th when a flash is activated .... but these will be far less than the confusion caused by the other way.
Of course, and I'm sure a lot of people don't understand why being allowed to turn the dial to M might cause their photo's exposure to suddenly go completely out of whack.

You can make a straw man argument for just about any user configurable setting on the camera.
An entire discussion can be made about how and why it is or isn't done, and how and why it can or cannot be done in a manner that is acceptable to both beginner and advanced users.

But none of that was really the point of my question.
06-30-2016, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
You obviously have better search skills than I. Thank you though for pointing that out.
Although not very helpful in answering the question.
Sorry for the snarky answer. There have been a couple of threads related to K-1 flash options for using flash at faster than normal sync speed. Your desired option has not been one of the solutions tossed around. Unfortunately, none of the respondents to this thread are K-1 owners, so a direct answer would sort of be lying. To the best of my knowledge, Ricoh has not provided a means to change or circumvent the X-sync behavior at either the hot shoe or the PC port.

A common suggestion is to use Acon R930 radio triggers in possible conjunction with other wireless triggers and manual speedlights. User @clackers has a K-1 and has used it with his K-1. With any luck he will check in here. There are also new wireless triggers from Cactus and Adorama (Flashpoint) that claim Pentax or universal support.

BTW...my opinion is that Pentax should support non-managed sync signal through the pc port. Flash is not the only potential use for a "shutter open" signal relay.

Edit: Acon R930P is able to trigger studio strobes via 2.5mm plug.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-30-2016 at 06:09 PM.
06-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just wondering if the K-1 is still limited to using non-HSS flash only up to the sync speed like its predecessors?
No, as always, you cannot, Amoringello.

Use some device that triggers both the flash and the shutter if you want to do that.

07-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

With the Cactus V6II you can use PowerSync (aka HyperSync) with ordinary flashes.
The V6II transmitter will fool the camera to think that it is dealing with an HSS-capable flash and can instruct ordinary flashes to fire at full power in PowerSync mode.

The Flashpoint trigger mentioned by stevebrot is still vaporware at present.

I understand the Acon triggers require an HSS-capable flash. Can someone confirm that they can fire an ordinary (non-P-TTL) flash at shutter speeds higher than the sync-speed?
07-05-2016, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The user should have to override a menu setting in order for it to be allowed, so they should not bump into it accidentally. Nikon and Canon allow it, I don't see why Pentax can't.
06-15-2018, 06:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am kinda new to flash photography. I have a YN 560 III and a YN 603n II trigger. What is the maximum shutter speed that I can achieve with this setup on the K-1? I have been using 1/180 without any problems, but I think I will need more than that.

Any K-1 settings that I need to modify?
06-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
What is the maximum shutter speed that I can achieve with this setup on the K-1?
1/200s

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Any K-1 settings that I need to modify?
The K-1 has a setting for the maximum shutter speed. Unless you changed it, it should still sit at 1/200s, though.

You need to have 1/3 stops selected for the EV step setting. Choosing the "X" mode should also work.

If you want to go beyond 1/200s on the K-1, and want to use radio triggering, you need an HSS-compatible radio trigger like the Cactus V6II, Phottix Odin II, or Acon R930.

Last edited by Class A; 06-15-2018 at 07:02 AM.