Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3135 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #526
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First Blooms. With the K28 3.5 at 5.6, handheld overhead. The only one of 4 that I was able to hold the camera still enough, and the wind stopped blowing for a second. Square crop done in post, full height.

02-07-2018, 04:22 AM   #527
Pentaxian

Handheld pixelshift, does that really work?
02-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #528
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Yes possibly at higher shutter speeds where use of shake reduction is not as critical, using the internal camera motion correction algorithm setting as found in the K70 or if you try using a secure bracing stance with an external body support such as a wall or tree while controlling your breathing to control camera shake as you would shooting with film
02-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #529
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I doubt it, though it sure feels good to think I have some yoga-ish special ability to hold still to the point of 1 pixel pitch.
Put it this way, I can even get problems with it if the tripod is not that stable and the wind blows hard.

The best check will be to take the hand held pixel shift RAW to Raw Therapee and check the mask to see what is used/not.

02-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #530
Pentaxian

No, regardless of shutter speed, it does not.

There is too much of a delay between the individual frames.
02-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #531
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No. Basically if you hand hold and use motion correction, you will pitch three of your exposures and use only the first one. There is no way that hold the camera still enough between exposures to make it so that the single pixel movement of the sensor in one direction or the other is actually that precise. Just because you can hand hold, use motion correction and have some sort of non-blurry result doesn't mean that it has any benefit over shooting a single exposure.
02-11-2018, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #532
Pentaxian

K1+K28/3.5 pixel shift mode

Full sized sample here :
IMGP3467-PS-1.jpg - Google Drive

---------- Post added 02-11-2018 at 05:29 PM ----------

K1+K28/3.5 pixel shift mode

Full sized sample here :
IMGP3467-PS-1.jpg - Google Drive

02-11-2018, 04:19 AM   #533

Excellent images!!! I am only a new owner of the K1 and keen to try the Pixel Shift. I only bought my K1 second hand and it didnt come with the software. I have downlaoded what I thought was the software but an error comes up in the install. It says "Cannot find old version that is valid target of upgrading. Installation is cancelled." Anyone be able to help me out? It will be much appriciated
02-11-2018, 05:57 AM   #534
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Meady23 Quote
Excellent images!!! I am only a new owner of the K1 and keen to try the Pixel Shift. I only bought my K1 second hand and it didnt come with the software. I have downlaoded what I thought was the software but an error comes up in the install. It says "Cannot find old version that is valid target of upgrading. Installation is cancelled." Anyone be able to help me out? It will be much appriciated
Get RawTherapee, it's free, you should be happy!
02-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #535
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The software update you downloaded needs to see the original install from disc in order to proceed. There is a workaround if you google it.

But I don't bother with the Pentax software. There are plenty of much better free and payware products to use to convert raw files and catalogue your pictures.

You should check the camera firmware is up to date though.
02-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #536
Veteran Member

I second teiki arii. Just use Raw Therapee. If you have still more time to spare then try Dark Table also. Both are very capable tools.
02-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #537
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
I second teiki arii. Just use Raw Therapee. If you have still more time to spare then try Dark Table also. Both are very capable tools.
I am not sure DarkTable can manage Pixel Shift mode, am I wrong?
02-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #538

Thanks for the help guys! I currently am subscribed to Lightroom so just needing a good option for the pixel shift files. I updated the latest firmware when I received the camera. I’ll give these options a go! Thanks again!
02-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
I am not sure DarkTable can manage Pixel Shift mode, am I wrong?
No, darktable can't natively handle pixelshift, but it is simple to use dcrawps to export a tiff for darktable.
dcrawps handles motion correction, but not sure if it does it that same way as rawtherapee or DCU.

Cheers,
Terry
02-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a good raw converter that handles PS files try Silkypix Developer Studio or Developer Studio Pro.

The Pentax software uses the silkypix engine for raw conversion but the Silkypix software itself is much more advanced.

They have a sale on right now too.