Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3135 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2018, 03:44 AM   #631

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@heckflosse - To be clear, that is not one of the new K-1 Mark II Dynamic Pixel Shift files, is it?
These screenshots are made using the K-1 PS file from here

05-01-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DxO / RawTherapee / Ricoh DCU comparison

So I have learned a bunch about pixel shifted images in the last few days and the main thing I learned was the requirement for a raw editor that can handle PS Images, and that I have a thick skull. Thanks to someone in an earlier post who put a crack in said thick skull. Anyway it got me thinking about editors and how they handle PS images. Here are 6 images and 6 crops of those images using DxO Photolab, RawTherapee, and Ricoh Digital Camera Utility

This was my procedure

1) Open file with editor
2) Remove any enhancements (sharpening, etc)
3) Save as 16 bit TIFF
4) Open TIFF with DXO
5) Save as JPG
6) Crop
7) Save as JPG
8) repeat 5 more times

From what I can see there are slight differences between the processed images but, for me, one does not win out over another. I am a big fan of DxO so I will continue to use it without the other two. I will post another in the future looking at the same DxO enhancement steps on all three cropped Pixel shifted images.

If you see something I did not, please let me know!

Cheers, Charlie

These first three are "No Pixel Shift"

RawTherapee

DxO Photolab

Ricoh Digital Camera Utility

Next three with Pixel Shift

RawTherapee

DxO Photolab

Next three without Pixel Shift

RawTherapee

DxO Photolab

RawTherapee

DxO Photolab

05-01-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #633

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
So I have learned a bunch about pixel shifted images in the last few days and the main thing I learned was the requirement for a raw editor that can handle PS Images, and that I have a thick skull. Thanks to someone in an earlier post who put a crack in said thick skull. Anyway it got me thinking about editors and how they handle PS images. Here are 6 images and 6 crops of those images using DxO Photolab, RawTherapee, and Ricoh Digital Camera Utility

This was my procedure

1) Open file with editor
2) Remove any enhancements (sharpening, etc)
3) Save as 16 bit TIFF
4) Open TIFF with DXO
5) Save as JPG
6) Crop
7) Save as JPG
8) repeat 5 more times

From what I can see there are slight differences between the processed images but, for me, one does not win out over another. I am a big fan of DxO so I will continue to use it without the other two. I will post another in the future looking at the same DxO enhancement steps on all three cropped Pixel shifted images.

If you see something I did not, please let me know!

Cheers, Charlie

These first three are "No Pixel Shift"

RawTherapee

DxO Photolab

RawTherapee

DxO Photolab

Next three without Pixel Shift

RawTherapee

DxO Photolab

RawTherapee

DxO Photolab

Combining 4 ps frames is really simple when there is no motion. But with motion, it get's tricky and you will be able to see the differences between the raw converters.

---------- Post added 05-01-18 at 12:50 PM ----------

CharLac, if your time permits, I would be interested in the processing of this file using DxO Photolab and Ricoh Digital Camera Utility. I don't have acces to DxO and DCU, so I can't test. Processing of this file in DxO and DCU would be interesting as well.

Last edited by heckflosse; 05-01-2018 at 12:03 PM.
05-03-2018, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #634
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catawba rhododendron, ordinarily a mountain wildflower, but seen here in a naturally-occuring disjunct population in the lowlands, tucked away in a cool streamside nook.

K-1 (Mk I)
SMC Pentax-A 645 1:2.8 55mm (on Mirex adapter)

05-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #635
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
Combining 4 ps frames is really simple when there is no motion. But with motion, it get's tricky and you will be able to see the differences between the raw converters.

CharLac, if your time permits, I would be interested in the processing of this file using DxO Photolab and Ricoh Digital Camera Utility. I don't have acces to DxO and DCU, so I can't test. Processing of this file in DxO and DCU would be interesting as well.
Okay, I'll give it a shot :-)
05-03-2018, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here you go...do you want them higher def? Or even zoomed in on one area?

First is the DCU second is the DxO
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #637

Here you go...do you want them higher def? Or even zoomed in on one area?

First is the DCU second is the DxO
Full size tiff would be great. Maybe you can upload them to filebin.net and post the links.
If that's too much, I would be interested in the zoomed in areas marked with red circles in this screenshot. Thank you very much

Attached Images

05-04-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #638
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Full size tiff would be great. Maybe you can upload them to filebin.net and post the links.
If that's too much, I would be interested in the zoomed in areas marked with red circles in this screenshot. Thank you very much
I'll see what I can do tonight when I get home :-) ....a fine scotch whiskey by my side
05-04-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #639
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
100% crop (600px square) from my most recent post above:

Until I zoomed in I hadn't realized this species was in the photo. The detail is good enough to show that there are bloom spikes beginning to develop.
05-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #640
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here you go....

Processed with DCU

Filebin :: bin sh4ot32gh5exp6dw

Processed with DxO

Filebin :: bin lfrcu7xx7y37vkf0

Let me know what you think

Cheers, Charlie
05-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #641

Donwloading the files. I will let you know
05-05-2018, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #642

Here you go....
Cheers, Charlie
DxO output is really good, but (as expected) it shows some typical demosaic artefacts. Look at the cacti (Carnegia gigantea?). Left is Pixel Shift from RT (no sharpening applied), right is your TIF from DxO. There are false colours in the cacti trunks in DxO version.

Comparison between DCU and RT output follows later.
Attached Images

05-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #643

Here's a first comparison between DCU and RT output. Both are sharpened with the same settings in RT. (Left is RT, right is DCU).
To me it looks like the TIF from DCU already had some sharpening applied in DCU but also some softening (maybe caused by too sensitive motion detection).
@CharLac: Are you sure the TIF from DCU is without sharpening?
Attached Images

05-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #644
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a first comparison between DCU and RT output. Both are sharpened with the same settings in RT. (Left is RT, right is DCU).
To me it looks like the TIF from DCU already had some sharpening applied in DCU but also some softening (maybe caused by too sensitive motion detection).
@CharLac: Are you sure the TIF from DCU is without sharpening?
I don't think so but I could export again to be sure....also, there are four settings for PS...camera, off, on(motion correction on), on(motion correction off).

Would you like to see all four from DCU?
05-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #645

I don't think so but I could export again to be sure....also, there are four settings for PS...camera, off, on(motion correction on), on(motion correction off).

Would you like to see all four from DCU?
Tif files from 'off', on(motion correction on) and on(motion correction off) would be great. Even better would be if lens correction in DCU is disabled.