Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3135 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
This is helpful, as I've become more curious about PS lately too. Would you (all) recommend doing initial processing in RT or DCU, then importing a TIF to LR for finishing? I'm trying to imagine a standard workflow for PS files for when my KI-II comes back.
If you know that things are perfectly still then it is fine to just run it through ACR, otherwise I always generate a 16 bit tiff file in Raw Therapee and take it from there.

06-29-2018, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #752

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
This is helpful, as I've become more curious about PS lately too. Would you (all) recommend doing initial processing in RT or DCU, then importing a TIF to LR for finishing? I'm trying to imagine a standard workflow for PS files for when my KI-II comes back.
I couldn't get used to Rawtherapee, I have a very specific workflow based around lightroom for my raws and then taking them over to Photoshop for my more complex editing.

If I'm taking a PS image, I'll immediately also take a normal, non PS image afterwards. I'll then open the PS image in lightroom and make my usual adjustments, now if I notice artifacts from movement in the frame etc, I'll sync my settings for the PS image I've just edited to the non PS image I also took.

I'll then open both images in Photoshop like I normally would, but before starting my more complex editing, I'll simply create a layer mask and use the normal non PS image to mask out any artifacts. It's basically what rawtherapee does but I'm manually doing it as it allows me to keep using my lightroom workflow for raw files that I've grown so acustom to.

Hope that makes sense, I don't think many people will do that and will opt for rawtherapee, but it works for me.
06-30-2018, 04:23 AM   #753
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A Basic Landscape (K-1 II/DFA 15-30/Pixel Shift)

06-30-2018, 04:36 AM   #754

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A Basic Landscape (K-1 II/DFA 15-30/Pixel Shift)

Nice shot! You live in a very beautiful area.

06-30-2018, 05:49 AM   #755

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonAtkinson Quote
It's basically what rawtherapee does but I'm manually doing it as it allows me to keep using my lightroom workflow for raw files that I've grown so acustom to.
Maybe the workflow described here (basically saving the motion mask from RawTherapee and use it to mask the motion in Photoshop) could be interesting for you.
06-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #756
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
Maybe the workflow described here (basically saving the motion mask from RawTherapee and use it to mask the motion in Photoshop) could be interesting for you.
Great idea; thanks. Masking can be pretty effective, and sometimes you can just streamline the process by masking a whole section that you fear might have motion, but isn't critical enough for high resolution. Like say some waves on open water in an otherwise static shot. I've had some artifacts from what probably was heat waves in the air, and just using some softening and local denoise got rid of those (still haven't figured out which tool is most effective at dealing with it, but it may depend where the artifacts are. So I just take a regular shot along with the PS as well.

But RT is a great tool for this and for more complicated motion control it's great. Or for even just pulling out one frame.

I still haven't figured out any use for dynamic PS though.
07-01-2018, 04:53 AM - 2 Likes   #757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple more DFA 15-30/K-1 II/Pixel Shift shots.

Dawn.

07-01-2018, 05:33 AM   #758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple more DFA 15-30/K-1 II/Pixel Shift shots.

Dawn.

I like the second best
07-02-2018, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #759

Pixel shift of the Alcázar of Segovia, processed in DCU. Been meaning to try out Raw Therapee sometime.

07-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #760
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple of pixel shift shots with the DFA 24-70 and K-1 II.

Before Dawn.

Light in the Trees.

07-05-2018, 06:07 AM   #761
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vincent, your PS shots are inspiring. I must get out and do more PS with my K-3II. On the occasions when I do, then I do pretty much what Norm does, i.e. run it through DCU5 in motion correction mode and export a TIFF for further PP, normally in ACR/Photoshop. I haven’t really tried to get to grips with RawTherapee as I’m happy with my ACR/PS workflow for now.
07-10-2018, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #762
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple of shots of the Burnside (lower) Bridge at Antietam with the DFA 24-70.

(both are pixel shifted with K-1 II)
07-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #763
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just curious

A couple of pixel shift shots with the DFA 24-70 and K-1 II.

Before Dawn.

Light in the Trees.

How do these look without PS? i.e If you take only one of the four PS images and run it through the same PP workflow?
07-12-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
How do these look without PS? i.e If you take only one of the four PS images and run it through the same PP workflow?
They are OK. The big thing that I notice with pixel shift is an improvement in dynamic range and am able to bump shadows a lot more. Color depth seems to be better too.

Another DFA 24-70 shot from Antietam Battlefield (pixel shifted)

07-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #765
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been to Antietam a few times. The only problem I seem to have is with the viewing tower. They seem to have made it taller than remember from 25 years ago.