05-20-2019, 06:50 AM - 3 Likes   #1021
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sunrise (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

05-20-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #1022

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Depending on the scene it can be useful to turn off "fill holes" in the pixelshift settings. By default (quite reasonably I think) the algorithm fills holes in the mask exempting more area from pixelshift. Try in for your scenes to see what you think. It's under raw tab > demosaicing > Motion correction: custom > uncheck "fill holes in motion mask"

By switching to custom there's lots of knobs to turn and switches to flick if you really want to squeeze the last shift out of those pixels. I think the defaults are generally quite good but its worth fiddling around a bit.
It's also worth a try to disable "Check red/blue channels for motion". Often you need it enabled (that's why it's enabled by default), but sometimes you can disable it.
05-20-2019, 02:24 PM - 5 Likes   #1023
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From today's walk. Sugar maple's flower.
05-20-2019, 04:32 PM - 3 Likes   #1024

To all of the users which use RawTherapee for pixelshift:

Please don't hesitate to ask me for information. I wrote the code but I'm also lousy concerning documentation: I don't even own a camera with this feature (though I would like to if it would have Nikon F-mount ;-) because I own some F-Mount lenses).

Anyway, I would really appreciate getting user experience in using RawTherapee pixelshift processing and I will also share my knowledge as the one who implemented it.

Let's work together to get this documented and maybe also to get ideas to improve it.

Ingo

05-20-2019, 08:16 PM - 4 Likes   #1025
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
To all of the users which use RawTherapee for pixelshift:

Please don't hesitate to ask me for information. I wrote the code but I'm also lousy concerning documentation: I don't even own a camera with this feature (though I would like to if it would have Nikon F-mount ;-) because I own some F-Mount lenses).

Anyway, I would really appreciate getting user experience in using RawTherapee pixelshift processing and I will also share my knowledge as the one who implemented it.

Let's work together to get this documented and maybe also to get ideas to improve it.

Ingo
Oh cool! Thanks for being here.

My only one bug is that I have discovered that taking a DNG from the camera to LR first, applying Lens Correction profile, then exporting the file from LR as a DNG, then trying to open that DNG with lens correction applied in RT results in a crash.

It's no biggy, I can see that RT also supports lens profiling so I'll just apply it there before the Pixelshift motion correction treatment instead of using LR first. But just thought that was worth mentioning.

Here's another shot I took this morning, again used RT with nothing more than the default motion correction applied. I love it, 2-3 clicks and I'm done and can continue my edit with LR and the bought preset packages I enjoy;

05-21-2019, 02:11 PM - 6 Likes   #1026
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Silver Lining (DA 40 limited/pixel shift)

05-21-2019, 03:10 PM - 5 Likes   #1027
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Silver Lining (DA 40 limited/pixel shift)

Really nice Rondec, like this one a lot.

-------

Smoke Among Trees

05-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #1028
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Really nice Rondec, like this one a lot.

-------

Smoke Among Trees
Thank you.
06-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #1029
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Trees at Dawn (DFA 24-70/pixel shift)

06-04-2019, 05:10 AM - 10 Likes   #1030
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pixelshift Pussy Cat

06-04-2019, 05:21 AM   #1031
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixelshift Pussy Cat
Very Nice
I like how the Pixel Shift brings out the fine details in the Cat's fur and blanket

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 06-04-2019 at 05:32 AM.
06-04-2019, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #1032
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sunset after the Storm (DFA 15-30/pixel shift)

06-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #1033
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Very Nice
I like how the Pixel Shift brings out the fine details in the Cat's fur and blanket
Thanks, yeah this is one of the very few PixShift shots done on a living thing with a decent degree of success. The shutter speed was low for this (0.3s), but that's actually about the speed it takes for normal PixShift with higher shutter speeds takes anyway due to the 4.4fps burst limit.
I took the image to RawTherapee and did some motion correction. The green areas it highlighted as a problem were all parts of the cat's body that were near it's lungs/breathing parts. The head and front paw seemed to get away just fine (as did the blanket texture as you pointed out).
Not an easy shot to pull off, I had to set the tripod up and then get out of the way as the main source of light coming in was sunlight directly at him, my body was blocking that source so really I needed to tripod anyway (pixelshift or no pixelshift).
06-04-2019, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #1034

I took the image to RawTherapee and did some motion correction. The green areas it highlighted as a problem were all parts of the cat's body that were near it's lungs/breathing parts. The head and front paw seemed to get away just fine (as did the blanket texture as you pointed out).
Good to know that my motion correction code works as expected

Ingo
06-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #1035
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
Good to know that my motion correction code works as expected

Ingo
Thanks! I did have a question to ask you about Pixshift in RT but I forgetted right now... I'll get back to you.

Do you have a small manual at all or guide to using the Pixelshift tool in RT by chance? I mean there are a few sliders in that section I have never really used...