Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3135 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2016, 08:41 AM - 22 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pixel Shifted Images

I really would like to see a thread dedicated to pixel shifted images -- showing its advantages and maybe the artifacts that you see with it as well.

I know that there are pixel shifted images sprinkled through the K-1 thread and elsewhere on the forum, but I think it would be nice to see them one place. I for one have been impressed with the feature. I use DCU to create a TIFF file with motion correction enabled and then do further editing in Lightroom.

Here are a couple of images to start off the thread (full size on Flickr).

I will say that over time, I have found that it is best turn down the sharpening in DCU considerably. It just has a tendency to make files look artifacty on close inspection.

07-02-2016, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

last one is very nice.
07-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
Forum Member

Gorgeous landscape shots! ...also on your flickr page!

I can't wait to use the K-1 on some architecture.
07-02-2016, 10:35 AM - 13 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice work, Rondec! And a great idea for a thread.

I have had limited use of pixel shift so far, but here are a couple examples, with full size images available on Flickr. I use the same technique as you for processing pixel shift images. However, the sunrise photo below is actually a pixel shift HDR image processed in Photomatix Pro.

07-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
Unregistered User

Pixie dust... I mean Pixel Shift.

07-02-2016, 11:35 AM - 8 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Strawberries (with DFA 100 macro)

This is the sort of image made for pixel shift, since nothing is moving and with a nice stable tripod you get incredible detail.
07-02-2016, 12:35 PM - 9 Likes   #7
Site Supporter

Pixel shift x2 exposures of Smith Rock OR. The available detail in shadows was awesome. Not really any motion here though I did have MC on (processed in DCU) in case.

Pixel shift of Bridal Veil falls OR. This definitely had motion in both leaves and water and DCU appears to have dealt with this pretty well. I have another of Oneonta Gorge which had quite a few artifacts I had to try to clean up by hand, so leaves are still a bit hit-and-miss. Deals with waterfalls pretty well. Leaves against a brighter background seem to be more problematic than leaves against darker background. It may simply be that the artifacting (which is generally only a few pixels) is more visible there.

These shots are both intentionally somewhat dark (for different reasons), but if I'd wanted to I could've brightened them up quite a bit with little noise and no loss of detail.

07-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I will say that over time, I have found that it is best turn down the sharpening in DCU considerably. It just has a tendency to make files look artifacty on close inspection.
Agreed. The same goes for out-of-camera JPEGs. The baseline sharpening combined with the lack of an AA filter makes additional sharpening unnecessary and it can even backfire.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2016, 04:46 PM - 10 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

K50/1.2

Still Boots shot
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

Turf farm sunset
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr
07-03-2016, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Pixel Shift with artefacts

Here's a shot I took today with pixel shift, but motion correction turned off. The green and purple patterns in the water are artefacts of pixel shift. Processed in LR. D FA 28-105, 1/80 sec, f/8, ISO100.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 07-03-2016 at 02:07 AM.
07-03-2016, 02:53 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Path in the Woods

07-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
Unregistered User

From todays play in the deep forests of Sweden.

07-06-2016, 03:49 AM - 6 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Great initiative for such a thread.

Marina Bay Sands (Singapore)
K1+M28/3.5 (Pixel Shifted)

07-06-2016, 06:54 AM   #14
Forum Member

Without some idea of what lens is being used, these photos are not as useful as learning guides. How about posting what lenses have been used, please.
07-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #15
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
Without some idea of what lens is being used, these photos are not as useful as learning guides. How about posting what lenses have been used, please.
If you click on the images you will be forwarded to Flickr where you can click again for zoom and you can also see all data regarding the gear used.
Well, that goes for my image anyway.