Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #46
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Granted I am looking at this on a crappy monitor at the moment but looks like you're getting more detail from the Pixel shift than the Epson scan?
In this instance yes. If scanning at 2400dpi vs PS 36MP then the K-1 wins but if scanning at 6400 and downscaling the scan becomes smoother and therefor you can sharpen alot more compared to 2400. What happens then is that the scan feels more detailed than the PS. I have a selfie in colour that I have been experimenting with and the downsized scan is better in all aspects. When it comes to BW I have not done the whole process so I can't tell for sure. Alot of the problems with shooting the negatives is due to colour. Also the scanned version here is much darker. So, since I often scan at 2400 because of the time it takes, using the K-1 would be the better choise and if I find an image I wan't full resolution from I scan it. BUT, if it is colour I will keep scanning since it takes less time to get the colours right.

This is a work in progress...

135-film? Well, that's another story. I will not scan another 135-film neg or slide ever again.

07-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Yes, I think images like this might be the type for which I would try pixel shift as much as any other type. I wondered if the colors near saturation and maybe the transition to clipped would be better..

I have read some posts that working with a 16-bit TIF is as good as working with RAW file. This may be for many purposes, but I don't think TIF will allow highlight recovery in the way a RAW file would. I wish the pixel shifted images could be exported from DCU or Silky Pix as some format that would retain the flexibility of a RAW file.. that the greater detail visible in either a TIF or JPG could be repackaged into a RAW-type format for further processing...
That was pretty ideal for pixel shift. No movement in frame, strong need for best possible dynamic range. I would definitely feel more comfortable if DCU exported RAW (i.e., a single RAW with the merged/processed image rather than the 4 image RAW) rather than TIFF. I don't know if it makes any practical difference in image quality, but there would certainly be a size difference. Maybe that violates the principle of what RAW file is, I don't know.
07-17-2016, 02:44 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
I would definitely feel more comfortable if DCU exported RAW (i.e., a single RAW with the merged/processed image rather than the 4 image RAW) rather than TIFF.
There shouldn't be too much of a difference between a 16-bit TIFF file and a special PixelShift RAW file (in which RGB information is present for each pixel).

The TIFF file has white-balancing, gamma encoding, and a tone curve baked in, but with 16-bit information there should be a lot of leeway to make corresponding changes after the fact.

Having said that, it would be nice to be able to store PixelShift images using the "Linear DNG" format, leaving all major "developing" decisions for later.

I don't know if it makes any practical difference in image quality, but there would certainly be a size difference.
Are you sure?

Remember that part of the size advantage of regular RAW files comes from the fact that they only store either red, green, or blue at each pixel position, instead of full RGB information.
07-17-2016, 02:50 AM   #49
Veteran Member

One from Steptoe Butte in Palouse (washington state). I took both PS and non-PS shots here, and the PS shows a dramatic difference here in dynamic range, the foreground was pretty dark so there is still noticeable noise from lightening the shadows. But I have to say I absolutely love the quality of the noise flecks in the K-1, they are more fine-grained and so not as distracting to the eye and more like film grain (as others have noted already). This is the pixel shift version:

Gorgeous!

07-17-2016, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Remember that part of the size advantage of regular RAW files comes from the fact that they only store either red, green, or blue at each pixel position, instead of full RGB information.
Today I learned! thanks, was not aware of that difference. Makes sense then why DCU would be exporting to TIFF.
07-17-2016, 10:30 AM - 13 Likes   #51

The RAW file is almost 180mb
_IMG1178
07-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blan01 Quote
Excellent! Looks like FA31 from the flickr page.

07-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #53

Excellent! Looks like FA31 from the flickr page.
Yep, 31 is my only wide angle now. It holds up pretty well with K1's 3600MP sensor, unfortunately my k17mm f4 fisheye didn't so I sold that lens last month.
I'd like to have a real ultra wide. However ,15-30 is just too big and heavy for me, plus I don't really need f2.8.
07-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Worth every megabyte. A very nice shot.
07-18-2016, 05:25 AM - 3 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

Composition adjusted and pixel shifted.

To me, these 2 features alone makes the camera a game changer and reviews like DPR nonsense.
07-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Worth every megabyte. A very nice shot.
Thanks a lot!
07-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #57
Veteran Member

_IMG1178
Nice shot

Did you use motion correction? Curious because there doesn't seem to be artifacts in the water ripples.
07-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Nice shot

Did you use motion correction? Curious because there doesn't seem to be artifacts in the water ripples.
Thanks!
Yes I did, but the water was running a lot, so it's hard to tell how good is the motion correction.
07-23-2016, 07:19 AM - 3 Likes   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are a couple of pixel shifted images with the DFA 15-30 (full size on flickr)

Gazebo at Sunrise.

Sunrise on Salt Fork Lake.

07-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Here are a couple of pixel shifted images with the DFA 15-30 (full size on flickr)

Gazebo at Sunrise.

Sunrise on Salt Fork Lake.

Nice shots

I didn't realize that you had the 15-30mm. Thought you only had the 24-70.

What are your impressions? I really like mine...except imho the hood is not sufficient. I sometimes have to use my hand to block stray light which is tough with a lens of this mass.