Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #601

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
So do you end up with a RAW image in the end? ...I guess I'll have to try it for myself.
RawTherapee does not write raw files. Means, if you process PixelShift raw files in RawTherapee, you can output to tiff, jpeg, png, but not do a raw format like DNG. Output to DNG also doesn't make sense in this context, because there is nothing to demosaic after pixelshift processing and saving as tiff in RawTherapee also supports 16-bit integer and 32-bit float, so you are not restricted to 8-bit integer.

04-18-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #602

Sorry for asking here in the pixel shift forum:

Sometimes I want to post small screen shots for users of RawTherapee PixelShift processing (because sometimes there are questions). To post screenshots, I have to upload them to for example filebin.net (where they will expire after 2 months or so).
Is there a better way to post screenshots? I don't want to monetary contribute (donate) to pentaxforums.com, because I think my work on pixelshift processing already is a good contribution for Pentax PS users.
04-19-2018, 12:00 AM   #603
Pentaxian

But you don't have to donate to upload pictures within the forum.
04-19-2018, 02:39 AM   #604
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So do you end up with a RAW image in the end? ...I guess I'll have to try it for myself.
If there is no motion in a scene at all, I will process an image directly with Lightroom. If there is any motion, then I take Raw Therapee and use the pixel shift developer there to generate a 16 bit TIFF image that I then process however I want to.

In the end, I end up with a jpeg image, but what I find is that my pixel shifted image has a lot better processing latitude -- better color depth, dynamic range, and general detail (without moire) than a standard image. For many images, though, that extra detail and color depth isn't particularly needed.

04-19-2018, 03:25 AM   #605

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
But you don't have to donate to upload pictures within the forum.
Ah, ok, I have to attach them. I tried to paste pictures in Editor using ctrl-v. They are visible in Editor, but not in preview of the post and I thought this funtction (pasting images) may be restricted to donators.
Being able to paste images in Editor which then are not visible in preview is at least a bit confusing...

Anyway, now I know how to upload pictures. Thank you

Last edited by heckflosse; 04-19-2018 at 04:29 AM.
04-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #606
Pentaxian

I do believe something went wrong anyway, the picture is not visible.
04-19-2018, 04:40 AM - 3 Likes   #607

RawTherapee PixelShift got some improvements

I made some improvements for PixelShift in RawTherapee

1.) the visualization of the motion mask is much more accurate now.
Bright green now means a pixel is fully taken from the demosaiced image, less bright green means the pixel is blended between the demosaiced
and the PixelShift combined image, non green means the pixel is fully taken from the PixelShift combined image.
In past there was only bright green, which indicated that a pixel was fully taken from the demosaiced image, but the mask didn't visualize the blended pixels correctly.
The functionality is the same as before, only the visualizations of the mask is improved to give accurate feedback to the user.

2.) PixelShift images from K1-Mark II shot in the new PixelShift handheld mode now are detected as PixelShift, though they are treated the same way as normal PixelShift images. Camera shake is not corrected.

3.) I extended the dynamic profiles by an 'Image Type', which allows to create dynamic profiles especially for PS. This will be further improved for the next release.

4.) In 'Custom' Motion correction mode the Slider 'ISO adaption' was renamed to 'Sensitivity' because that's what it does. Also the default sensitivity is reduced a bit now.

In case someone wants to test the improvements, a nightly build for windows is already available here (RawTherapee_dev_5.4-239-g3ee1ecf6_WinVista_64.zip).
These builds are not for everyday use.

Attached Images

04-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #608
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To RAW or not too RAW

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
RawTherapee does not write raw files. Means, if you process PixelShift raw files in RawTherapee, you can output to tiff, jpeg, png, but not do a raw format like DNG. Output to DNG also doesn't make sense in this context, because there is nothing to demosaic after pixelshift processing and saving as tiff in RawTherapee also supports 16-bit integer and 32-bit float, so you are not restricted to 8-bit integer.
Sorry, I guess I poorly framed my question. I was not talking about post-processing software but rather in camera processing. For some reason I thought that my K-7 only created a JPEG, not a raw, when the camera was in "HDR" mode. I tested my K-3 II last night and, with it in RAW, took three images; 1 normal, 1 pixel shifted, and 1 HDR 2. Interestingly and informatively, RAW files were produced in all three cases. I ran out of time before I could look at them but still, it answers my question for now.
04-19-2018, 05:15 AM - 6 Likes   #609
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Red Leaves (with DFA 100 macro WR)

04-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I guess I poorly framed my question. I was not talking about post-processing software but rather in camera processing. For some reason I thought that my K-7 only created a JPEG, not a raw, when the camera was in "HDR" mode. I tested my K-3 II last night and, with it in RAW, took three images; 1 normal, 1 pixel shifted, and 1 HDR 2. Interestingly and informatively, RAW files were produced in all three cases. I ran out of time before I could look at them but still, it answers my question for now.
I'm not all that familiar with the K7 but I do know that the K50/K500, which are of the same generation, internally processed HDR images and saved them as JPEG images. My K70 like the K3II will save HDR processed along with Pixel Shift Images as Raw files.

I don't know if you are aware that the Raw File Editor bundled with most versions of Photoshop & Photoshop Elements will save DNG RAW & PEF RAW files as separate DNG files after editing including Pixel Shift Images
04-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I'm not all that familiar with the K7 but I do know that the K50/K500, which are of the same generation, internally processed HDR images and saved them as JPEG images. My K70 like the K3II will save HDR processed along with Pixel Shift Images as Raw files.
Oh cool, thanks for verifying my sanity...well, I guess that is a stretch

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I don't know if you are aware that the Raw File Editor bundled with most versions of Photoshop & Photoshop Elements will save DNG RAW & PEF RAW files as separate DNG files after editing including Pixel Shift Images
No, I did not know that. I pretty well use DxO exclusively right now but I will keep that in mind.

---------- Post added 2018-04-19 at 08:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Red Leaves (with DFA 100 macro WR)
The detail in this image is impressive; I really must play around with Pixel Shift a bit more.
04-20-2018, 04:29 PM - 3 Likes   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some Pixelshift macros with my K-1 & Vivitar/Pentax FA 100mm 3.5 macro

04-22-2018, 04:42 AM - 5 Likes   #613
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Leaf (100 macro WR/pixel shift)

Leaves (100 macro WR/pixel shift)

04-23-2018, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Baseball Season (100 macro/K-1/pixel shift)

04-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #615
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Baseball Season (100 macro/K-1/pixel shift)
Put me in, coach!