Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #676
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use Raw Therapee to create a 16 bit TIFF file and then finish developing it in Lightroom. I could probably use RT for the whole thing, but I'm just not as familiar with that program.
It's sounding like what I will do in the future with any Pixel Shifted images. RT to TIFF and then into my favourite editor.

05-10-2018, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #677
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
It's sounding like what I will do in the future with any Pixel Shifted images. RT to TIFF and then into my favourite editor.
I've been following the more recent posts in the thread and I found that FastStone Image Viewer will convert even PEF Raw Pixel Shift files directly from my K70 to 24 bit Tiff files for processing with other software. There is also a pretty good basic editing package within Faststone as well which comes in handy sometimes. Plus one of the best attributes of FastStone it is Free

I also checked converting Pixel shift Images with Corel Aftershot 3 and the software package will read the PEF Raw Files convert them to 16 bit tiff and export them to Paintshop Pro

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 05-10-2018 at 03:24 PM.
05-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #678
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I've been following the more recent posts in the thread and I found that FastStone Image Viewer will convert even PEF Raw Pixel Shift files directly from my K70 to 24 bit Tiff files for processing with other software. There is also a pretty good basic editing package within Faststone as well which comes in handy sometimes. Plus one of the best attributes of FastStone it is Free

I also checked converting Pixel shift Images with Corel Aftershot 3 and the software package will read the PEF Raw Files convert them to 16 bit tiff and export them to Paintshop Pro
Sounds like another round testing is required!
05-11-2018, 02:41 AM   #679

Do they demosaic the first frame or do they combine the four frames?

05-11-2018, 02:55 AM   #680
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

My question is what these various softwares are doing with motion between the images. It feels as though a lot of software just opens the first image which is fine for a preview, but defeats the purpose of pixel shift. Others just bluntly combine them all, but do not allow for motion correction. If you are just shooting in door macro shots, it doesn't matter, but for real world shots, you need some flexibility. I would say that when I am shooting water with pixel shift, I tend to use the median setting as this gives some blurred appearance to the water which using standard motion correction doesn't do.

At this point, thanks to a lot of work by heckflosse and others, Raw Therapee really does seem to be the most flexible software with regard to pixel shift development.
05-11-2018, 04:04 AM   #681
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
Do they demosaic the first frame or do they combine the four frames?
Both software packages read the blended 4 image file created by the camera software.after which you are able to convert to Tiff using your choice of protocol or standard

---------- Post added 05-11-18 at 08:19 ----------

My question is what these various softwares are doing with motion between the images. It feels as though a lot of software just opens the first image which is fine for a preview, but defeats the purpose of pixel shift. Others just bluntly combine them all, but do not allow for motion correction. If you are just shooting in door macro shots, it doesn't matter, but for real world shots, you need some flexibility. I would say that when I am shooting water with pixel shift, I tend to use the median setting as this gives some blurred appearance to the water which using standard motion correction doesn't do.

At this point, thanks to a lot of work by heckflosse and others, Raw Therapee really does seem to be the most flexible software with regard to pixel shift development.
I'm not familiar with the K1 but the within the firmware package for the K70, Pixel Shift Motion correction can be applied to the blended image within the camera at the time of shooting and can be from what I understand be modified or adjusted within Silkipix Digital Camera Utility 5. Possibly through reverse engineering the algorithm use by the camera to separate the original 4 images and reapply the algorithm. Any time I used the process with DCU 5 the image on the screen would refresh in segments as the program separated the layers of the blended images, made the corrections and reintegrated the blended images back together.
In my mind this would make sense considering the possibility that Silkipix probably wrote the code that blends and creates the Pixel Shift images within the K70 so they would be able to produce the code to reverse engineer the process. Another indicator of this possibility is the size of the file created when using Pixel Shift, the average non Pixel shift PEF Raw file is 20 to 23 MB while a Pixel Shift PEF Raw file is over 100 MB or 4 times as large

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 05-11-2018 at 04:34 AM.
05-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #682
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Both software packages read the blended 4 image file created by the camera software.after which you are able to convert to Tiff using your choice of protocol or standard

---------- Post added 05-11-18 at 08:19 ----------

I'm not familiar with the K1 but the within the firmware package for the K70, Pixel Shift Motion correction can be applied to the blended image within the camera at the time of shooting and can be from what I understand be modified or adjusted within Silkipix Digital Camera Utility 5. Possibly through reverse engineering the algorithm use by the camera to separate the original 4 images and reapply the algorithm. Any time I used the process with DCU 5 the image on the screen would refresh in segments as the program separated the layers of the blended images, made the corrections and reintegrated the blended images back together.
In my mind this would make sense considering the possibility that Silkipix probably wrote the code that blends and creates the Pixel Shift images within the K70 so they would be able to produce the code to reverse engineer the process. Another indicator of this possibility is the size of the file created when using Pixel Shift, the average non Pixel shift PEF Raw file is 20 to 23 MB while a Pixel Shift PEF Raw file is over 100 MB or 4 times as large
A pixel shift file is a container that holds in it four raw images. That is all. The only way that motion correction is applied in camera is if you shoot in jpeg. Otherwise, it is up to the software in post to decide how to combine those four files. DCU obviously has some ability to combine the four images with motion correction for areas where there is motion, although it doesn't allow you to choose which is the base image or tweak the application of the motion correction in any specific way. When Lightroom was first released, it would only open the first image and ignored the other three. Now, Lightroom does some sort of combination of the four, but does not do any sort of motion correction, meaning that you get weird little artifacts everywhere where there was movement. I am not sure about other software, other than Raw Therapee, but obviously anyone could write a code that reads and does a motion correction mask -- it's just that no one seems to have done it as well as in RT.

---------- Post added 05-11-18 at 08:24 AM ----------

Tree Frog (DFA 100 macro/Pixel Shift)

05-14-2018, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #683
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sunrise and Wildflowers (DFA 24-70mm)

Country Lane (DFA 24-70mm)

05-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #684
Veteran Member

Sunrise and Wildflowers (DFA 24-70mm)
Very nice !!
05-15-2018, 05:25 AM - 4 Likes   #685
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A Mother's Day Rose (shot with the DFA 100 macro and pixel shift)

05-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #686
Veteran Member

Pentax KP Pixel-Shift + 35mm macro ltd:

05-17-2018, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #687
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fields of Grain (DFA 24-70)

05-17-2018, 04:07 PM - 3 Likes   #688
Pentaxian

Pentax K1+Laowa 12/2.8

Did the best I can for the more gloomy day.
Luckily some hint of of pink in the skies as the Sun descended.
Not all is rosy with RawTherapee though in that I find that it does not pull down highlights as well as Lightroom.
Of maybe (I do suspect this) that the way I am doing it isn't the right way.
I had to create another copy with -1ev and then just blend in the skies (as opposed to just pulling the Highlights slider down with LR)
So any suggestions will be welcome.

As usual, full sized sample here
IMGP5862-PS-blended-1.jpg - Google Drive
05-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #689

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

Did the best I can for the more gloomy day.
Luckily some hint of of pink in the skies as the Sun descended.
Not all is rosy with RawTherapee though in that I find that it does not pull down highlights as well as Lightroom.
Of maybe (I do suspect this) that the way I am doing it isn't the right way.
I had to create another copy with -1ev and then just blend in the skies (as opposed to just pulling the Highlights slider down with LR)
So any suggestions will be welcome.

As usual, full sized sample here
IMGP5862-PS-blended-1.jpg - Google Drive
Can you share the raw? I would like to give it a try.
05-18-2018, 04:59 AM   #690
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
Can you share the raw? I would like to give it a try.
Here it is :

IMGP5852-PS.DNG - Google Drive

Thanks