Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #721
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Grain (DFA 24-70, pixel shift)

(this image is a fairly heavy vertical crop out of a much wider image).

06-05-2018, 05:22 AM   #722
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gloomy Day (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

06-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been miserable today, poor light. I drove all the way across the park and back, nothing. I saw a few images to be had on the dog walk and went back for them.

K-,1 FA 50 macro 2.8, Pixel Shift.

06-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's been miserable today, poor light. I drove all the way across the park and back, nothing. I saw a few images to be had on the dog walk and went back for them.

K-,1 FA 50 macro 2.8, Pixel Shift.

Hey Norm, what software do you use to process the pixel-shifted raw?

06-08-2018, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Hey Norm, what software do you use to process the pixel-shifted raw?
I use DCU that came with my K-1. I Import, do nothing, then "export saving changes" as a 16 bit tiff, then import into Aperture.

A couple from today, there was just enough wind, most of my PS images were ruined. A few survived.

06-09-2018, 05:15 AM - 2 Likes   #726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tree and Country Road (DFA 24-70mm)

06-09-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Twins - Pixel Shift Resolution - K-1 and KP

Pentax K-1 • FF mode • PSR • DFA100WR • ISO100 • f/4 • 1/125s

Pentax KP • APSC • PSR • DA TC1.4x • DFA100WR • ISO100 • f/8 • 1/60s

Last edited by acoufap; 06-09-2018 at 11:00 AM.
06-11-2018, 11:32 AM - 5 Likes   #728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 • FF Pixel Shift Mode • 200 ISO • Irix Blackstone 15mm F2.4 • Irix Nano circular polarizer filter
06-22-2018, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #729
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mabry Mill (Pentax K-1 II/DFA 24-70/Traditional Pixel Shift)

By the way, has anyone figured out a way to edit the dynamic pixel shift RAW files after the fact? The only thing I can see is that you can shoot jpeg, but that feels like it throws away a lot of the benefit of pixel shift.
06-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #730
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
By the way, has anyone figured out a way to edit the dynamic pixel shift RAW files after the fact? The only thing I can see is that you can shoot jpeg, but that feels like it throws away a lot of the benefit of pixel shift.
Not sure I understand the question! As far as I can see, the point of pixel shift is to give a much better basis for the demosaicing step, which is pretty much the first thing to do with a RAW file in PP. Of course, it may be you then want to use a different tool for the rest of the workflow; as far as I can tell RawTherapee is the gold standard for PS demosaicing, after which the choices broaden out quite a bit. So, is it that you'd like to export 48-bit 36Mpix RGB from RT to e.g. a TIFF, so you can use your preferred PP from then on? Plausible, but I'm a noob at this so no idea if it's possible...

Cheers

Jonathan
06-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #731

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
Not sure I understand the question! As far as I can see, the point of pixel shift is to give a much better basis for the demosaicing step, which is pretty much the first thing to do with a RAW file in PP. Of course, it may be you then want to use a different tool for the rest of the workflow; as far as I can tell RawTherapee is the gold standard for PS demosaicing, after which the choices broaden out quite a bit. So, is it that you'd like to export 48-bit 36Mpix RGB from RT to e.g. a TIFF, so you can use your preferred PP from then on? Plausible, but I'm a noob at this so no idea if it's possible...

Cheers

Jonathan
RT supports `classic` PS but not `dynamic` PS from K1-II atm. Thanks for the `gold standard` btw

---------- Post added 06-22-18 at 12:44 PM ----------

Maybe worth a note that current RT dev version has a new demsaic method (AMaZE+VNG4) where detailed areas are used from AMaZE demosaic and flat areas are used from VNG4 demosaic.

How is this related to pixel shift?

Well, areas with motion can be flat or detailed. In current RT dev you can select the new AMaZE+VNG4 demosaic method for areas with motion for pixel shift.
06-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #732
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
RT supports `classic` PS but not `dynamic` PS from K1-II atm. Thanks for the `gold standard` btw

---------- Post added 06-22-18 at 12:44 PM ----------

Maybe worth a note that current RT dev version has a new demsaic method (AMaZE+VNG4) where detailed areas are used from AMaZE demosaic and flat areas are used from VNG4 demosaic.

How is this related to pixel shift?

Well, areas with motion can be flat or detailed. In current RT dev you can select the new AMaZE+VNG4 demosaic method for areas with motion for pixel shift.
Doh! Missed the word "dynamic" in @Rondec's question... Still don't quite understand it, though, unless it's that no current application can generate a 16 (48?) -bit TIFF from a Dynamic Pixel Shift file.

"Gold standard" - I call it as the reviewers see it - most of the comparisons and posts I've seen have been pretty compelling

Haven't really explored the possibilities of the various demosaicing methods so far - there's just so much to learn about PP. Those are just two of the non-PS options - any particular reason to limit the motion areas to just those two? Sounds like there are three classes of area now, no motion + flat motion + detailed motion; if one chooses PS demosaic then it's done by PS+VNG4+AMaZE, but would it make sense to allow the latter two to be chosen freely? Or not? I should probably do some reading about this.

Cheers

Jonathan

Last edited by h4yn0nnym0u5e; 06-22-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Posts de-merged
06-22-2018, 02:15 PM - 4 Likes   #733
Veteran Member

Can't let too many posts go by without some images. Both using M50 f/4 Macro:

Flickr
06-22-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #734

Doh! Missed the word "dynamic" in @Rondec's question... Still don't quite understand it, though, unless it's that no current application can generate a 16 (48?) -bit TIFF from a Dynamic Pixel Shift file.

"Gold standard" - I call it as the reviewers see it - most of the comparisons and posts I've seen have been pretty compelling

Haven't really explored the possibilities of the various demosaicing methods so far - there's just so much to learn about PP. Those are just two of the non-PS options - any particular reason to limit the motion areas to just those two? Sounds like there are three classes of area now, no motion + flat motion + detailed motion; if one chooses PS demosaic then it's done by PS+VNG4+AMaZE, but would it make sense to allow the latter two to be chosen freely? Or not? I should probably do some reading about this.

Cheers

Jonathan
In current release of RT (5.4) you can already select AMaZE or LMMSE demosaic for regions with motion (LMMSE is for high ISO shots). In new version (5.5 and current development version) you can also select the combined AMaZE+VNG4 for regions with motion. Default for regions with motion will still be AMaZE, because the combined AMaZE+VNG4 is slower.

Ingo
06-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Cheers

Jonathan
The whole thing is that dynamic pixel shift lets you shoot pixel shift hand held. All great, but the thing is that I don't know of any raw developer (including Pentax's own DCU) that will develop more than the first raw image in the DNG files. If your options are to (a) develop the first image shot or (b) shoot a jpeg then I would rather just shoot a single RAW image then shoot a dynamic pixel shift image that can't truly be developed. I shoot regular pixel shift all of the time and as you say, develop it with Raw Therapee into a 16 bit TIFF image.