Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3135 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #841
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just to be a pedantic twit I looked up whether Capture One supports Pixel Shift, their answer (from 2016 but not updated)
Phase One

And to add to the pedantic-ism, I just checked the Capture One forum and found that Sony Pixel Shift is also NOT supported. I did find my request to have pixel shift added (and ignored) to the v12 - wish list. I don't think Phase One really cares about supporting Pentax all that much, but it sure beats LR to death.

Here is the list of supported cameras: Capture One Pro 11 Supported Cameras

Please note the far right hand side, and the K-3II and K-1 are the only two cameras listed with having Pixel Shift (I know that is not true, but I have a whole bucket of pedantic here)

Last edited by PDL; 02-02-2019 at 04:08 PM.
09-01-2018, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #842
Forum Member

Opened with Rawtherapee, motion correction automatic, profile (neutral), saved in 16-bit TIFF, edited further with another editor. Personally I prefer DCU5 profiles like Flat or Natural as starting point. Rawtherapee neutral produce too much violet like tint, but DCU5 pixel shift MC is quite useless, it still leave mosaic patterns. I wonder if there is a way to combine DCU 5 picture profiles and Rawtherapee motion correction.

Pentax K-1 + DFA*50 at F5.6

Last edited by Pikselisiirto; 09-01-2018 at 03:14 PM.
09-01-2018, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #843
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
Ok? I'm not that experienced in pixelshift ;-)
Which other program can treat handheld?
The best thing to do (in my humble opinion) if you want to shoot handheld pixel shift is to shoot RAW and then develop it in camera to a TIFF file. You then should be able to process that. Otherwise, there are no free standing programs (including DCU) that can process handheld pixel shift and shooting jpeg sort of defeats the purpose.
09-01-2018, 11:42 PM   #844
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The best thing to do (in my humble opinion) if you want to shoot handheld pixel shift is to shoot RAW and then develop it in camera to a TIFF file. You then should be able to process that. Otherwise, there are no free standing programs (including DCU) that can process handheld pixel shift and shooting jpeg sort of defeats the purpose.
The in camera generated tiff is 8 bit RGB if I remember right. No loss by jpg lossy compression but maybe in some image areas visible loss by internal conversion from 14 bit to 8 bit. So if we compare images generated using an external raw converter where we can use all „tricks“ that theses converters offer and the 8 bit in camera generated tiff the first one may be better - we may loose what we wanted to gain using PSR (whatever version we use)?! - Only a guess.

09-02-2018, 02:13 AM   #845
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
The in camera generated tiff is 8 bit RGB if I remember right. No loss by jpg lossy compression but maybe in some image areas visible loss by internal conversion from 14 bit to 8 bit. So if we compare images generated using an external raw converter where we can use all „tricks“ that theses converters offer and the 8 bit in camera generated tiff the first one may be better - we may loose what we wanted to gain using PSR (whatever version we use)?! - Only a guess.
Maybe so. But otherwise, there is no point to it in my opinion. I shoot pixel shift to get better RAW files, but you might as well just shoot four RAW files handheld and combine them in post as Bruce Banner has demonstrated works pretty well. You will probably get better results that way than just getting a little better out of camera jpeg.
09-03-2018, 03:26 AM   #846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe so. But otherwise, there is no point to it in my opinion. I shoot pixel shift to get better RAW files, but you might as well just shoot four RAW files handheld and combine them in post as Bruce Banner has demonstrated works pretty well. You will probably get better results that way than just getting a little better out of camera jpeg.
I think you are quite right and guess Bruce's method is the way to go for handheld dynamic pixel shift. If I understood handheld dynamic PS correctly, using Bruce's technique I can also do it with my unchanged K-1 if I'd like to.
09-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I finally read through this thread. I saw the post Bruce had made, too, and will read that article sometime. I now understand how to deal with the DPS in the K1-II, and took a couple of practice shots, processed and saved the tiff file to card. A bit cumbersome, but my use for that will be pretty specific when hiking and without real time constraints. The processing/save can happen later, and I can still use the other PS modes for tripod use. I also downloaded Rawtherapee, and will start learning that as I find DCU pretty cumbersome.

09-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #848
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pikselisiirto Quote
Opened with Rawtherapee, motion correction automatic, profile (neutral), saved in 16-bit TIFF, edited further with another editor. Personally I prefer DCU5 profiles like Flat or Natural as starting point. Rawtherapee neutral produce too much violet like tint, but DCU5 pixel shift MC is quite useless, it still leave mosaic patterns. I wonder if there is a way to combine DCU 5 picture profiles and Rawtherapee motion correction.

Pentax K-1 + DFA*50 at F5.6
Are you using PEF or DNG format for the raw files? DNG files embed a colour profile which you can select by going to the colour tab (alt + c) then select the colour management module (all the way down) and set it to Camera Standard. I think the camera standard setting for PEF and DNG will look different with the DNG file looking more like the Pentax colours.

For this reason I recommend shooting DNG with Pentax cameras. It just gives you one more colour preset in RT.
09-03-2018, 05:26 PM - 4 Likes   #849
Pentaxian

DFA 100 Macro 2.8 and Pixel Shift

09-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #850

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
DFA 100 Macro 2.8 and Pixel Shift

Impressive! I love them.
09-04-2018, 05:26 AM   #851
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
Impressive! I love them.
Thanks for commenting.
09-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #852
Pentaxian

That is the first application that came to mind when I read of this feature. Dark, usually handheld. Nice shots of the mushrooms.
09-08-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #853
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dawn on a Cloudy Morning (DFA 15-30 with pixel shift)

09-09-2018, 03:27 AM - 2 Likes   #854
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tree at Sunrise (DFA 15-30mm/pixel shift)

09-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #855
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hot dawg, you are good at these!