Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3135 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2019, 07:30 AM - 2 Likes   #1006
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Tree Before Dawn (DFA 24-70/pixel shift)

05-08-2019, 02:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1007
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is strawberry season again (DFA 100 macro/pixel shift)

05-17-2019, 09:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1008
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cattle in a Field (DA *55/pixel shift)

05-17-2019, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #1009
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Cattle in a Field (DA *55/pixel shift)

How do you handle the motion correction for your work? I'm imagining with a scene like this that the PS stuff wouldn't have been pushed through for a lot of the cattle and grass? I use RawTherapee for my motion correction and show the Motion Mask, and it gives me an idea of how much of the is not going to be pixelshifted etc.

This shot for example;

23mm/f8, DA 20-40 on the K-1 (ff mode)

a lot of the grass was ok, even some of the tree, but quite a few of the leaves were moving and thus a good 50% of the tree is not really pixelshifted.

05-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #1010
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
How do you handle the motion correction for your work? I'm imagining with a scene like this that the PS stuff wouldn't have been pushed through for a lot of the cattle and grass? I use RawTherapee for my motion correction and show the Motion Mask, and it gives me an idea of how much of the is not going to be pixelshifted etc.

This shot for example;

23mm/f8, DA 20-40 on the K-1 (ff mode)

a lot of the grass was ok, even some of the tree, but quite a few of the leaves were moving and thus a good 50% of the tree is not really pixelshifted.
I use Raw Therapee too. In the above image, probably 75 percent was pixel shifted, based on the mask, and 25 percent wasn't. As you say, if the majority of the image is masked, you might just as well skip the pixel shifting process.
05-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #1011
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use Raw Therapee too. In the above image, probably 75 percent was pixel shifted, based on the mask, and 25 percent wasn't. As you say, if the majority of the image is masked, you might just as well skip the pixel shifting process.
That's pretty good for a scene like that to get 75%, I would have thought the cow/s would sway or move just a tad and the grass etc, just goes to show, cattle me like stone! haha.

Sometimes when I review my shots and see motion on things that really shouldn't have had any motion at all I wonder what's going, tripod not tight enough, a bit of wind etc, the clunking of the shutter even though it's being handled via ES?
05-19-2019, 05:42 AM - 6 Likes   #1012
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Broken Down Shed at Sunrise (DFA 24-70mm/pixel shift)

05-19-2019, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #1013
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Depending on the scene it can be useful to turn off "fill holes" in the pixelshift settings. By default (quite reasonably I think) the algorithm fills holes in the mask exempting more area from pixelshift. Try in for your scenes to see what you think. It's under raw tab > demosaicing > Motion correction: custom > uncheck "fill holes in motion mask"

By switching to custom there's lots of knobs to turn and switches to flick if you really want to squeeze the last shift out of those pixels. I think the defaults are generally quite good but its worth fiddling around a bit.
05-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #1014
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Depending on the scene it can be useful to turn off "fill holes" in the pixelshift settings. By default (quite reasonably I think) the algorithm fills holes in the mask exempting more area from pixelshift. Try in for your scenes to see what you think. It's under raw tab > demosaicing > Motion correction: custom > uncheck "fill holes in motion mask"

By switching to custom there's lots of knobs to turn and switches to flick if you really want to squeeze the last shift out of those pixels. I think the defaults are generally quite good but its worth fiddling around a bit.
Thanks house I'll check that out.
05-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #1015
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This may be of interest.
You can pass your pixelshifted RAW to dcrawps and ask it to mark PS artefacts in the output...you can choose the % threshold.
dcrawps looks at the differences in the same pixels in the two green channels.
The switches of interest are as follows...

-G 1-99. 1 detects the lightest artefacts (1% change in green level). 99 detects only the largest artefacts (99% change). Default is 100, artefact detection/repair disabled.
-X Highlight artefacts in the output. If -G is not set, it uses 20%.

Cheers,
Terry
05-20-2019, 12:40 AM - 8 Likes   #1016
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Kid's Kupcake

(100% made by my youngest).

Image taken with a Lensbaby Velvet 56, composite of 3 varying apertures, pixelshifted, processed using RNI.
05-20-2019, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #1017
Pentaxian

Sometimes when I review my shots and see motion on things that really shouldn't have had any motion at all I wonder what's going, tripod not tight enough, a bit of wind etc, the clunking of the shutter even though it's being handled via ES?
Details in the scene doesn’t necessarily have to move to trigger the motion correction algorithms. If the light changes even the slightest during the exposure you will also get “motion” detected due to variances in the images. Luckily (as already mentioned ) you can tweak the settings quite a lot in RT.
05-20-2019, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #1018
Pentaxian

I don't know how concrete is the floor where you install your tripod, but when I take a step back from the camera I could notice camera motion with my 150450@450 zoomed in live view, my own weight slightly changed the floor. So when I take pixel shifted shots of a still subject, I focus then go on the other side of the room and use the IR remote to trigger the PS shot, then I could observe that PS worked as expected with or without MC.
05-20-2019, 04:09 AM   #1019
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Kid's Kupcake

(100% made by my youngest).

Image taken with a Lensbaby Velvet 56, composite of 3 varying apertures, pixelshifted, processed using RNI.
Great shot! It looks so real I want to grab it right off the screen!
05-20-2019, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #1020
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Details in the scene doesn’t necessarily have to move to trigger the motion correction algorithms. If the light changes even the slightest during the exposure you will also get “motion” detected due to variances in the images. Luckily (as already mentioned ) you can tweak the settings quite a lot in RT.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't know how concrete is the floor where you install your tripod, but when I take a step back from the camera I could notice camera motion with my 150450@450 zoomed in live view, my own weight slightly changed the floor. So when I take pixel shifted shots of a still subject, I focus then go on the other side of the room and use the IR remote to trigger the PS shot, then I could observe that PS worked as expected with or without MC.
Good points to both of you, I suspect it could be one or the other, or a combination of the two! In times gone by I did tell the kids to "FREEZE!" if they came into the room I was shooting a longer exposed PS shot hahaha, I am more the wiser now and prioritise a lot of these shots when they're in school

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Great shot! It looks so real I want to grab it right off the screen!
Thanks, yes this one came out really good I think, quite chuffed with it I am (and of course my 9yr old kids piping and decoration efforts!).