Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
K1 video

I Know every one seems to have totally dismissed this from day one

However working thru it step by step i think it could be useable, but it will take bit of heavy lift in post production

this is just work in progress ( the big lesson is turn of the shake reduction .....i will say it again turn of the shake reduction)

as you can see in this clip i didn't switch off SR,and it sort makes camera shake even worse ...and when you try and use a stabilizer on it in post ....it messes that up as well

it's handheld on a 28mm, its sort of got a 16mm thing going on colour wise..... but that just me ...i was just sort pushing everything around to see what you could do

i,m going carry one playing with the video aspect of the camera and see if there are any preferred settings/work flows i can share

07-04-2016, 04:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1's video mode really isn't bad. It's just nothing to brag about compared to other cameras out there

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2016, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #3
CDW
Site Supporter

Here is a tip that some Pentax video shooters may not be aware of. If you subscribe to Adobe Cloud, you can dramatically improve the image quality of Pentax-captured video. First, before a shoot, in your camera menu settings, reduce contrast, saturation and sharpness. This will improve dynamic range of your captures but the images will look flat and lifeless on your viewfinder or played back from the camera. That is precisely what you want.

Import the clips into Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Adobe Cloud version). Highlight the clip as a Smart Object. Under Filters, click on Camera RAW. This will bring up the clip in Adobe Camera Raw. You then have all of the important adjustment capabilities of camera RAW. You can fine tune sharpening, color, contrast, hue, dodge, burn, etc., to a degree unmatched in camera or in other simple editing software.

Once you have the clip to your liking, under File, click on Export, then Render Video. It will take a while! Go have a coffee or beer because a 20 sec clip may take anywhere from a minute or two or ten, depending on the horsepower of your computer. If you're putting together a 10-15 minute video, you could several hours of work ahead of you in grading the clips. But the result will be far better video than you may have thought possible and pretty much a match for any stand alone grading software. Then assemble the various clips in your final editing software for addition of titles, transitions and final output to disc, YouTube, etc.

Also, the latest versions of Adobe Premiere also include Adobe Camera Raw and it works more quickly and efficiently but with a steeper learning curve.