Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
wow, just wow, you really take your time to fine tune these. Thanks a lot for sharing the results with us
You're welcome

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 12:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
tomO2013:

Would you mind checking the pdf files for the FA 43? The data appear to be identical in both files, so I assume they are the same Focus Tune run (at either 25X or 50X). I'd be interested in comparing the results at the two different focus distances.

Thanks

- Craig
Great spot - my bad sorry!

I'll setup again later today and see how I get on.

One thing that I am interested in is simulating backlighting situation with the same focus tune and seeing the behaviour of the AF. Right now, I am wondering if the spherical aberrations at wide open to close to wide open is screwing with the PDAF points.

Also more precise ring motor lens would probably give more accurate.

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
I spent a couple hours trying to fine tune my FA 50 1.4 for single point auto-focus and could never get it to work properly at all distances. Then I tried the 9 point cluster and most problems went away. It focuses on what I aim at. However, because the camera has some choice, it won't always choose the exact spot I want, so I have to pay attention to what focus points engage. Overall I'm happy, but if they can get that single point working better in firmware, awesome. Later today I'm renting the 28-105 and I'll see how it does with a modern lens.
That's a good suggestion.

The thing with the 9 point is that it does generally (for fast moving portraiture with the FA Limiteds) give focus on the face, but doesn't single out the correct part of the face i.e. the eyes and so can focus on the tip of the nose or forehead etc.. I prefer to use a single point and sometime focus recompose so that I can ensure eyes are in focus.

If you have ever used the Sony A7ii, A7rii, Em1 - they can focus in on the specific eyeball! Similarly with the D750 and D810 in OVF they use the metering sensor to track and identify the eyes. I would love to know if Ricoh are doing this, as the physical hardware looks to be present (PDAF and advanced metering sensor). This could likely be something easily improved via a judicious firmware update.

07-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #92
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
on ice, otherwise you wouldn't have 4 quarters
Watch the coming Olympics, where field hockey is played in 4 quarters each 15 minutes.
07-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I would be interested in this test as long as you are using the lenses wide open or near wide open. when using something like f8 it is more a test of the shutter speed then it is about focus tracking

Randy
I'll set up at least one 'quarter' (1/2 of a period) for widest-aperture, understanding this is a 3.5~5.6 variable aperture zoom. My intent is to test the autofocus as a real user would use it, with a moderate quality zoom shooting an (adult) child in a common activity.

So trying for 1/500 - 1/1000 shutter, ISO 3200 or below, back AF button, aimed at belt line framed for entire body and stick, bursts. I'm not measuring the buffer capacity. I plan to use single point tracking AF.C and zoom pull; and 9-point Grid tracking auto point select. If I do the second parameter as aperture that establishes 4 of the 6 opportunities (1/2 of each of three periods).

I'd reserve a whole period to do what works best (including using a different lens) for my own selfish reasons.
07-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think a car coming and going at 30 mph would be a good test. Seems like a simple test for Pentax USA to conduct outside their offices. Pentax USA needs to get some skin in the game. Pentax could ask one of their "Ambassadors" to set up a couple of simple AF tests. The "Bike" and a car at a known speed would be good to see.

07-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Here's all I care about right here..... better images, more dynmani range.

QuoteQuote:
In conclusion, the K-1 gives one of the best Raw dynamic range results we've ever seen, when shooting in single shot mode and absolutely outstanding results in circumstances where you can use the pixel shift mode. The multiple sampling of the same scene effectively gives a 2EV dynamic range boost, meaning it out-performs both the D810 and the 645Z by a comfortable margin. Less noise (though multiple captures) and multiple 14-bit values at every pixel mean it can give outstanding levels of DR for static scenes where you can use the Pixel Shift mode.
Special K? Pentax K-1 Review: Digital Photography Review

If it does that, there rest is pretty much irrelevant, just a pile of blah , blah blah, and I'm certainly not going to pay much attention to the rest. To me, having heard that the PS tacks on 2 EV to the K-1s, already great single shot EV. I still have no plans to buy one, but I know what I'll buy when the opportunity presents itself.

For me it's about the ability to produce a superior image. If the camera has the ability, I'll figure out how to achieve it.
07-06-2016, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #96

DP replying in the comments about the bike test

Rishi Sanyal
Yet another set of poor assumptions. Every test was done in Focus Priority, not FPS priority.

Our bike test is actually not fast moving at all by today's standards. Even a CDAF-bases Sony RX100 IV passes it with flying colors in single point mode, as does an a6300, a7R II, Panasonic with DFD, Canon 5Ds, Nikon D500, etc.

If it can't keep focus on our cyclist, that's not an indication that we used AF-C wrong, it's an indication that AF-C cannot keep up nearly as well as what we expect from most cameras, particularly DSLRs, today.

The implications being that even tougher focus scenarios, like actual sports, or candid portraits of your newborn or kids, will see the K-1 faltering even more. Nor can you use subject tracking reliably to keep a subject in focus no matter where it moves to in the frame even for a single shot. It's not like we only did the bike test to come to our AF opinion... AF simply does not impress.

What I particularly fail to understand is why are people offended by our pointing out a strongly vetted shortcoming? Aren't shortcomings exactly what potential shoppers wish to know? Perhaps Pentax brand loyalists should stop for a minute and try to be a bit more selfless - realizing that shortcomings like this are exactly what a buyer needs to know to make an informed decision. Don't care about AF? Great, no harm done. Care about AF? Then consider our findings.

The camera still scored well - consider that a D810 with better base ISO image quality for typical (non Pixel Shift) shooting thanks to ISO 64 and a far far more capable AF system only scored 2% higher. Getting offended over our presenting valuable findings helps no one (unless of course we're wrong)
07-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
DP replying in the comments about the bike test

Rishi Sanyal
blablabla
if I wanted to read that apologetic nonsense I would head over to dpr

07-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #98
Pentaxian

The camera still scored well - consider that a D810 with better base ISO image quality for typical (non Pixel Shift) shooting thanks to ISO 64 and a far far more capable AF system only scored 2% higher. Getting offended over our presenting valuable findings helps no one (unless of course we're wrong)
What's wrong is excluding Pixel Shift which Nikons don't have) from your ranking so you could range the D810 higher using lower ISOs that the K-1 doesn't have. Either compare the same or all, but don't select favouring one or the other.

. Do consumers not want the highest rated camera to take better pictures than the lower rated one? SO that my friends is the epitome of justifying bull feathers.

The K-1 gives you the possibility of taking a better picture than a KD810 with 2 stops more dynamic range and two stops better low ISO performance as stated by the same reviewer. SO why did he slant his rating by ignoring pixel shift? You can only use low ISO in some situations, you can only use PS in some situations, I don't get it.
07-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #99
KDD
Veteran Member

They say POOR AF!
07-06-2016, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #100
Pentaxian

DP replying in the comments about the bike test Rishi Sanyal Yet another set of poor assumptions. Every test was done in Focus Priority, not FPS priority.
Interestingly, people having never used the K1 believe the DPR review about the AF performance.
So, to be sure, I've done a DPR AF test in worst conditions, at night , ISO12800. I don't comment on the results, pictures with exif of the AFC bike tracking burst can speak for themselves.
Please see below.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-26-2016 at 12:02 PM.
07-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #101
Pentaxian

... remaining part of the burst.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-26-2016 at 12:02 PM.
07-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #102
Veteran Member

^^Biz, did you have the camera in focus or release priority?
07-06-2016, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
^^Biz, did you have the camera in focus or release priority?
Focus prio, full frame mode (36Mp).

I also tracked tramway and cars afterwards, but to be honest, I have to increase ISO to 25600 because it was too dark, and I had only about 70% keepers.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-06-2016 at 03:56 PM.
07-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #104

Had you focus adjusted the lens? Also worth testing a swaying bike that's approaching the camera in the same manner as dpreview.

07-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomO2013 Quote
Had you focus adjusted the lens? Also worth testing a swaying bike that's approaching the camera in the same manner as dpreview.
Just round the corner there's a motorway bridge. I'll test the K-1 tracking using the 70-200.
Closed Thread