Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 04:40 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Good test?

Their cons:

Poor Autofocus performance (nonsense that's just about tracking something moving toward you)
No dedicated AF point selector (though it can be set as four-way default) push one button and it is dedicated.
Limited modern full-frame lens selection (but lot's of legacy glass)
Limited uses for Pixel Shift Resolution shooting modes (static environments) (compared to no pixels shift resolution at all)
Limited Raw support for Pixel Shift Files ('software is supplied)
Low-spec video and limited focus control in video mode (nothing about quality? just spec???????)
Nested menu layout. (The Menu's are fine)
Limited control customization (did they try? they probably couldn't find it in the menu they don't like)
Poor default JPEG settings (they are settings. The fact they don't like them doesn't matter, they can change them through the menu they don't like)

And IBIS is not among pro's
Well most of their cons are spot on I think. This is not because Pentax is our brand that we have to be blind.

On my K3 for example I often resent the lack of dedicated control for focus point selection. I end up messing up with WB or jpeg setting because same control is used for too many things.
It is actually true that pixel shift while interresting is for very specific use cases and it could be argued that it is not that necessary for most and that it is not post processing friendly.
There actually few modern DFA lenses (only 5) and except the 28-105 they are all very expensive. The Sigma/Tamron offering of modern lenses is also absent.
Video performance is quite low.

I do not agree for menu layout, but this is mostly something of habit. When you driven a car for 10 years, if you change brand, the new controls are always mislading so I can understand the comments.
The Jpegs I don't care and don't know enough honestly as I always shoot raw.

07-09-2016, 04:49 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I read the DPReview review again. The conclusion of the review is what basically what Canon would write about a Pentax camera, without needing to use it. The old cliché that Pentax AF is still from film age and so on... It's review by a guy expecting a Canon. But the whole point of a Pentax camera is not to be a Canon.
But it is likely the reality. The guy likely a Canon or Nikon heavy user and doesn't understand Pentax. You can expect him to find all the flow and amplify them but fail to find the assets.

That normal and to be expected. The thing we may not like is that if you are yourself a user accustomed to Canikon, you may actually find the same issues using the K1.

I fully agree that we could expect better review with more time spent learning the camera its strength etc. But I think that Ricoh/Pentax doesn't try that much neither. There almost no explanation on how to really use your camera and it is only b being willing to learn, spend time tuning setting and looking for advise from other member that you'll manage to get the best out of the K1.

Pentax could have made more effort on an easy user guide and also taken time to contact Dpreview and other well know reviewer to ensure their gear was reviewed in the best conditions.

They could also have better defaults for AFC as well as a more automatic mode by default that just work and let you refine the settings only once you master it.
07-09-2016, 05:23 AM   #198

bad review

it's a bad review because:

A lot of pro photographers today aren't used to Pentax. And a lot of photographers / reviewers today are mediocre.

that's all.

it's just a bad review made by mediocre testers.
07-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... Wording was almost immediately changed, the test was re-run, but Rishi has dug in. No one reached out for help.

I don't know if you have in mind the Kindle comment but that is still on the AF page.

[i removed some text because it fit better as a reply to another post]

---------- Post added 07-09-16 at 06:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Anyone who's got a bike and a friend to ride the bike towards the camera while shooting? Would be nice to see a comparable test using the K-1 here right at this forum.

Can anyone help to solve the riddle? Every contribution is highly appreciated!
Prop the bike against a lamp post
Run toward the stationary bike while taking pictures

Last edited by Tan68; 07-09-2016 at 05:59 AM.
07-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #200
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Well most of their cons are spot on I think.
They are minor points unfair points nit picking or just untrue. They had to come up with cons in order to justify the relatively low rating of the k-1. Dpreview is treating this camera as if it should be optimized for sports and be like Canon and Nikon more. They are not giving it a fair review.
07-09-2016, 05:48 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lifeofdavid Quote
" The autofocus tends to hesitate, even in AF-S mode with the center point - it’s nowhere near as fast as most Canon and Nikon DSLRs"

What do you guys make of this sentence? its essentially the deciding factor in me getting a K1 or not.
The bits I remember from the AF page were about hesitation at low light levels...
I don't recall the comments indicating there is the same hesitation at all light levels.
Maybe I remember incorrectly.

The result is that the K-1 does not focus as rapidly as the class leader D750. Alright, it isn't a D750. What they fail to do is compare the K-1 to a camera with similar response time. Reporting to us that the K-1 is not a D750 but does focus as quickly as a D600 or K2000 or Brownie would be helpful.

As far as hesitation at all times, I have nothing to compare the camera to; I have no Nikon and the only other camera I have experience with is K5. I think it focuses quickly enough but it may not and I would know no better.
07-09-2016, 06:23 AM   #202

I agree with what was said, I think the Pentax forums could challenge dpreview and redo this bike thesis with a correct methodology, extremely tendentious this assessment, it would be even interesting Ricoh court challenge this thesis, since it is not the first time dpreview "misses "on a Pentax test.

07-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Well most of their cons are spot on I think. This is not because Pentax is our brand that we have to be blind.
On my K3 for example I often resent the lack of dedicated control for focus point selection.
K-1 AF selection works more fluidly than K-3. I would rarely move around the AF points/groups with previous Pentaxes. I do it all the time on the K-1. Partly due to the better feedback of AF points in the viewfinder, partly due to the easier way to toggle the role of the 4 way controller.
07-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #204
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by willeisner Quote
I agree with what was said, I think the Pentax forums could challenge dpreview and redo this bike thesis with a correct methodology, extremely tendentious this assessment, it would be even interesting Ricoh court challenge this thesis, since it is not the first time dpreview "misses "on a Pentax test.
But even if this was done and it turned out "better", as others have pointed out it's still such a meaningless test. It doesn't match my real world shooting conditions. I have lateral tracking, z tracking front-to-back and back-to-front, tracking behind obstacles, up-down, etc. Why bother? This is such a small sample of tracking. Let's not fight bad testing with more bad testing.
07-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #205
Veteran Member

Pentax could have made more effort on an easy user guide and also taken time to contact Dpreview and other well know reviewer to ensure their gear was reviewed in the best conditions.
Ricoh should have done some basic market and user education, like set up a YouTube channel for the K-1, explaining and DEMONSTRATING it's AF and other advanced features. As well as done a few White Papers about using the advanced features of the camera - pixel shift, astrotracer, autofocus tracking.

The K-1 special-site is good, but it says almost nothing about K-1 auto-focus usage.
07-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #206

carolina_sky
I agree with you . My style of photography is studio not even turn on the AF-C mode
but I found a biased manner to negativamene evaluate the camera and not focus on the positive things we can not question the way they evaluate, and give emphasis to certain thing but we can point to methodological flaws.
07-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #207

What's the country with the most bikes on this planet? Go out an make some pictures using the K-1

I'd suggest to challenge this potential "bikegate"
07-09-2016, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Anyone who's got a bike and a friend to ride the bike towards the camera while shooting? Would be nice to see a comparable test using the K-1 here right at this forum.

Can anyone help to solve the riddle? Every contribution is highly appreciated!
A few weeks ago, I've done shots of my children on their bikes. Two things that should be seemingly impossible to do according DPR, even more so that it was done with a lowly K-500 and its obsolete SAFOX IX and a screwdrive lens. I must have done something totally wrong since most pics were in focus. Next time I will try harder to get them all out of focus so that my results are more in line with what DPR says. Sorry if this dissapoint you. If you have a K-1 and get shots in focus, just try to mess with your settings and technique until you get all shots OOF. I'm sure you can get to this if you work hard enough. And then, you will see the light because your results will be in acoordance witht those of DPR, and thus be really happy and sleep again at night!

P.S.: Don't worry, I'm going to delete right now all these on focus shots of children on bike I have. These obviously are things that should not be and really fear for my safety. If I keep them, some aliens could abduct and torture me until I delete them and wash my brain so I don't remember taking them.

Have an happy week-end!
07-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willeisner Quote
I suppose DPR Pentax forum could put together a bicycle test...

I am afraid the result would be a bit like that Dr. Who episode where Scotland decided to build their own ship. The Pentax forum would be cast adrift to find its own fortune.

Eos: Where is DPR Pentax forum?
Nike: They decided to ride their own bike.
Freddie: I say cool it man
07-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But it is likely the reality. The guy likely a Canon or Nikon heavy user and doesn't understand Pentax. You can expect him to find all the flow and amplify them but fail to find the assets.

That normal and to be expected. The thing we may not like is that if you are yourself a user accustomed to Canikon, you may actually find the same issues using the K1.

I fully agree that we could expect better review with more time spent learning the camera its strength etc. But I think that Ricoh/Pentax doesn't try that much neither. There almost no explanation on how to really use your camera and it is only b being willing to learn, spend time tuning setting and looking for advise from other member that you'll manage to get the best out of the K1.

They could also have better defaults for AFC as well as a more automatic mode by default that just work and let you refine the settings only once you master it.
Assuming that your choice was between three cameras: 6D, D610 and K-1 which would you choose? I would argue that a lot of their cons fall away when you limit the choice like this (because of pricing). The D610 is like the K-1 in that it has its auto focus point clustered in the center and only has nine cross type ones. The 6D is worse. None of them are great at video -- certainly not good enough to replace a dedicated camcorder. The 6D and D610 definitely have a wider lens variety available. On the other side of things, if your interest is primarily still photography, I really think (pixel shift and astro tracer aside) that you will find the RAW images from the K-1 the best and most post processing friendly of the bunch.

I don't know which one is best, but I feel like the choice would be super close and would depend primarily on which things the person deciding valued the most.
Closed Thread